tehPr0fess0r's Suppressor F31 Black and White build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tehPr0fess0r's Suppressor F31 Black and White build

After a long time rocking a water cooled 3770k and GTX 580 in a Corsair 800D, I decided it was time for a new desktop. I decided to do a color-matched, hard tube build, and I've gone with a black and white theme in a Thermaltake Suppressor F31 case, which is essentially a ripoff (and improvement?) over the Fractal Design Define S.

My Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (reused from old desktop) - just a placeholder until M.2 drives come down in price.
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+
    Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 Window ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W (reused from old desktop)

Cooling:
    EK Supremacy Evo - Acetal
    EK X-Res D5 with D5 Vario (res is new to me, D5 Vario is from my old build(s) - 9 years old and one impeller replacement later, but still running strong!)
    XSPC RX360 3x120 rad (reused from old desktop)
    XSPC EX240 Multiport 2x120 rad
    Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet x 5 (on rads)
    Corsiar AF140 Quiet (Rear exhaust)
    Gelid Silent 14 PWM (on bottom intake)
    EK VGA Supremacy Bridge Edition (GPU waterblock)
    Darkside 12mm Hard Tube fittings
    Bitspower 12mm PETG tubing

First, a pic of the (almost) completed build... only thing missing here is the pastel white coolant... running straight distilled right now, planning to flush and pastel it in a couple days.

Very nicely done!
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Looking Good!
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanks guys. I put together some photos along the way...
        Part 1 of the build log:

My starting point for this build was the Asus Sabertooth X99 motherboard. Here it is pre-mod:

And naked (without the Thermal Armor)... its still a damn good looking board!

Painting the Thermal Armor:
        I used Rustoleum Flexidip for most of my painting, and Plasti Dip for the rest.

Painting the XSPC RX360:

The motherboard with the painted Thermal Armor installed:

I love Flexidip... was able to just "peel" the paint off the TUF logo easily. Traced around it lightly with an exacto knife to get a nice, clean edge. I think it turned out great!

Suppressor F31 stripped down of all drive cages:

Motherboard and Power Supply installed:

Painting the Power Supply Cover, PCI Slot covers and GTX970 bracket:

Painting the XSPSC EX240 Multiport:
        This is where I switched over to Plasti Dip. The first shot is the 2nd attempt at painting this rad with the Flexidip... not really sure what happened, but I ended up peeling it, sanding, and then repainting with Plasti Dip. I'm sure the Flexidip would have worked fine after sanding too, but I had already bought the Plasti Dip.

Painting the backplate for my GTX970:

Comment

Part 2 of the build log:

One of my favorite things to see when I come home from work... Thanks Daz!

Hard tube, fittings, tools and pastel dye all ready to be bent and installed!

So it turns out, the first time doing hard tube is no joke! Spent the full day on Monday last week working on it, and then Tuesday and Wednesday evening after work, but it was worth it! The biggest pain ended up being the shortest run... The tube from the outlet of the pump to the front rad was ridiculous, and I went through 4 or 5 attempts trying to bend a piece to go from straight fittings on either end, but the bend radii (radiuses?) were just too damn tight and close together. Every piece I made just kept kinking, and generally looked like garbage, so I gave up and ended up using the 90º and an extender to almost line up in the same axis and then just a slightly bent tube to make it work.

Pics of the completed tubing install:

Leak test success! Going to run it on straight distilled for a couple days, drain it and then refill it with Mayhems Pastel Extreme white.
          Leak testing and (almost) final pics:

Power supply cover reinstalled. Time for a couple last WIP pics. Will update when I have the white pastel coolant added.

Comment

Nice! Very elegant.
            I especially like the bend that goes behind the tray.
            My Imgur

Comment

the Professor taking us to school!

Welcome and Well done sir.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Thanks guys! Long time customer from Daz, just never got around to getting on the forums here. But seeing all the amazing builds that get posted here is what really inspired me to do this.

Comment

Damn prof, those look to be some very tricky first time bends! Nicely done!

Comment

Looks great, tehPR0fess0r

I have the V31 which is the narrower, non-silent version of this case, and the thing that amazes me about it is the potential of having a 240mm in the bottom, 240mm/280mm in the front, AND a 360mm up top. Obviously a GTX 970 and 5930K are well cooled with a 240+360mm, but something to think about if you ever wanted to upgrade to a big white/black FIRE BREATHER heheh.

Looks great, and the Plasti-Dip is 100% awesome.
                    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

aboard

Sweet build

Comment

I have a spare XRES 250 tube (204mm) too, so I think I might swap that in for 104mm res tube currently in there, at the same time as I do the white pastel coolant... would fill in that kinda boring looking "blank" space between the mobo and the front rad. The longer tube will definitely fit in there, I just have to make sure I have enough clearance to get at the fill port, because its going to be fairly tight

Comment

Originally posted by 10e View Post
                          I have the V31 which is the narrower, non-silent version of this case, and the thing that amazes me about it is the potential of having a 240mm in the bottom, 240mm/280mm in the front, AND a 360mm up top. Obviously a GTX 970 and 5930K are well cooled with a 240+360mm, but something to think about if you ever wanted to upgrade to a big white/black FIRE BREATHER heheh.
                          I do love the case so far, but my only real complaint is the feet on it... They look great, but they just have a thin little foam-rubber pad on the bottom, and with all the weight in my case from the parts and the water cooling gear the foam is totally compressed to the point where the plastic is basically touching my desk, and I'm getting pretty bad vibration noise. I've ordered some silicone rubber pads to replace the crappy foam ones with, and the set of 4 pads is rated for 70lbs, so the weight shouldn't be a problem any more.

Comment

I agree, longer reservoir will be much nicer and balanced looks.
                            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                            Venom Build: Build Log,
                            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                            Orange Build: Final Video
                            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Wow! What a difference the 250 tube makes! Got it installed and filled with pastel white tonight... I can officially call this build finished! ...until the GTX 1080 comes out that is

Filling the system with pastel white... havnt turned on the pump yet. Clearance was pretty tight for the fill port on the res, so I had to come up with a little something to get in there... ended up taking the curved straw top off my wash bottle and my old school Danger Den syringe in order to get good access to the fill port. Luckily it worked, and was definitely worth it.

And a few shots of the final build. Definitely happy with how it all came together.

Comment

Working...
                              X