Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to water cooling - now I've got the water-cooling bug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol, yep - The level 10 has been retired after 5 years or so, of faithful service.

Comment

Greetings All!

I'm upgrading this build with hard-tubing in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Have most of the parts in now and have been doing some test fitting with hard tube. 16MM PETG tubing from Daz and his compression fittings...

Being a complete newb when it comes to hard tube, I have what is likely a stupid question...

Should it really be so easy to pull the tube out of the fitting when it's fully seated? (In comparison to soft tube) If so, I can certainly see why hard tube isn't recommended for builds that are moved around often. It's kind of scary how easy it is to pull the tube from the fittings...

Thanks for your patience with my silly questions, while I continue to learn!

-Mack

Comment

There is no doubt that it is much easier to pull a hard tube out of it's fitting as compared to soft tube compression fittings.

Looking forward to the update.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thank you, Hooded. Appreciate the reassurance.

I will try and document this re-build a little better than the last update. Got a new to me camera from gdesmo, that might help. (Won't help my photography skills, sadly)

-Mack

Comment

How the heck did I miss this thread!?!? Welcome to the addict club Mack! And yes, it really is that easy to displace hard tubes. I've changed hard tubes without even unscrewing the outer cap, just pulled the old tube out, shoved the new one in. Probably not the smartest thing to do! I'd probably still be on soft tube if we could find some clear soft tube that was really clear.

Comment

Hehe, no worries Bart.

I am indeed addicted! LOL I am very nervous about moving to the hard tubes but I do love the look and clarity of them, compared to soft tube. I imagine they don't come apart as easy when both ends are connected in your loop.

I've some holidays coming up end of next week, so hoping to get started on this project then. I've a new heatkiller cpu block to replace the EK one, as well. I just like the looks of them better.

You're not too far North of me - about 45 mins or so to Ottawa from here! Small world!

-Mack

Comment

That EVGA case is super nice. Like the way the side is really the front. Hope you didn't get rid of the Level 10.
                The SLOB : A 3570K Build
                Down & Out : A 2600K Build
                V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Hi Wattermain,

I love the EVGA case and especially the fact that the front is the side, as this works best with my room layout.

Sadly, I sold the Level 10. I don't have a ton of extra storage room here at home, so it is gone. It was a great case and served me well through I think 4 different builds. It just didn't have enough space for water-cooling unfortunately, but it was my favourite case next to this EVGA DG-86.

Comment

Build looks great! I love the LED ram in the x299 boards where the ram is on both sides of the cpu. very cool.

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                    How the heck did I miss this thread!?!? Welcome to the addict club Mack! And yes, it really is that easy to displace hard tubes. I've changed hard tubes without even unscrewing the outer cap, just pulled the old tube out, shoved the new one in. Probably not the smartest thing to do! I'd probably still be on soft tube if we could find some clear soft tube that was really clear.
                    I built my entire first hard tube loop like that Bart, I didn't know you were supposed to unscrew the top and add an o-ring! Never had a leak though.
                    My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by Necrodead View Post
                      Build looks great! I love the LED ram in the x299 boards where the ram is on both sides of the cpu. very cool.
                      Thanks - Still on X99, but similar layouts.

Originally posted by Necrodead View Post

I built my entire first hard tube loop like that Bart, I didn't know you were supposed to unscrew the top and add an o-ring! Never had a leak though.
                      I guess the tops are mostly for aesthetics. Here's hoping I don't encounter any leaks, either!

Comment

It has begun...

Draining the loop:

Removed the old block:

New heatkiller block is much nicer looking, imo.

Pump/Res/rad assembly rebuilt with new crossflow rad from Daz:

First tube bend - This took like 5 tries... LOL

New block installed! Looks awesome:

Pump/Rad remounted:

That's all for now!

-Mack
                        Last edited by MackTheKnight; 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

After many failed bends...

Bends completed, finally - Steep learning curve!

Added a temp sensor to my loop:

Pressure test passed for a few hours:

More leak testing:

The final fill-up!

Will post some pics of the system up and running also.

-Mack

Comment

A few more shots of the build completed and up and running! Wish my photography skills were as good as some other folks here, but hopefully they do it justice!

And finally ready to take on the Thargoids! (Might be an obscure reference to most)

Comment

Looks good young sir !
                              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Hey Mack. Some nice pipe work going on there. Really like that support bracket under your Ti.
                                The SLOB : A 3570K Build
                                Down & Out : A 2600K Build
                                V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Working...
                                X