Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to water cooling - now I've got the water-cooling bug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you all like it!

The DG-86 is nice. I just wish it had a glass front instead of the plexi.

Couple changes lately. Finally got my hands on an 5800X so threw that in.

Also got one of EKWB's new active backplates for the EVGA XC3 RTX3090, as the memory temps are out of control with a passive backplate. Sadly, they shipped the wrong screws, so that was a total waste of time.

@Daz, you may want to be aware of this. Evidently it's been a common issue with these active backplates. The instructions call for M2.5 X 8MM screws, but the packages are all shipping with M2.5 X 7MM. I'm waiting for EK to respond to my request for new screws.

There's a reddit topic on this here >>XC3 Active Backplate : EKWB (reddit.com)

-Mack
    Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-21-2021, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I have an EVGA DG-77, it is a nice case but required modding for airflow and upper rad support. Glad to see they have made improvements. Speaking of improvements, the upgrade to hard tubing looks sweet! And the vertical mount and block look nice.

Hmmm. Should I be concerned that I have been thinking about upgrading my monitor?

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    Nice upgrade. Looks good and clean!

Leave a comment:

• Torvich
    replied
    Very cool.
    When ever I saw an EVGA case on Newegg it never really had any impact on me, but when I see it here I think
    Your loop is very neat too, no shame in soft tube btw. When ever I manage to find a GPU I'll be going from hard tube back to soft tube in my next upgrade. Just depends on the look you're going for.

Leave a comment:

• MRDcanadian
    replied
    Nice build sir. Got excited when i saw the TT gt case in the first pic and though it was a mod for it. (was my first case I water cooled in), but I have to admit that new case is very slick and the bend on the cpu to GPU block is a nice touch.

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Thanks Bart. Yea, that horseshoe bend was a bugger! Took me 4 tries, lol. Was on my last tube of PETG when I finally got it right. Whew...

Leave a comment:

• Bartacus
    replied
    Nice, that looks great! Love the curved tube to the CPU!

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Well, it’s been a couple of years since I made any changes, so it was time for another evolution of my build.

Added a vertical GPU mount for my newly acquired RTX 3090, under an EK vector block.

Tried to get a 5900X to swap with my 3900X, but alas, no luck finding one anywhere.

As usual things tend to snowball. This change started with a monitor upgrade and then I realized my 1080Ti couldn’t handle it. LOL

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Thanks, MemBusX!

The controllers make a big difference in flight sims, if you can afford the investment. The rudder pedals are MFG Crosswinds - fully adjustable with different CAMS that can be installed to adjust the feel of them. Very precise and a huge step-up from Saitek or even the CH Pro Flight pedals. Especially noticeable in helicopters in DCS and the ol' taildraggers featured in IL2. (Great sim as well, btw!)

Sucks that your 780 has an issue with IL2. Hope they can find a fix for that soon!

-Mack

Leave a comment:

• MemBusX
    replied
    Sweet Rig and that setup. Sure beats the hell out of my Microsoft Sidewinder compatible with Win98 lol. I actually just received a game for Christmas. IL 2 Sturmovik : Battle for Stalingrad. Man it looks like such a good game but there's a bug Specific to the GTX 780 so I'm pooched till I get a new System. No fixes in sight. Even if I could just have those pedals for the rudder. Anyway. You did yourself well on this one.

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Wow, EZ! I didn't invest that much into it, thankfully!

Leave a comment:

• EZ's PC's
    replied
    Originally posted by MackTheKnight View Post
    Thanks, EZ!

Rhino is another great stick! I too am fed-up with Star Citizen. Didn't think to ask for a refund - maybe I should look into that...
    I still have my side account for SC. But my main account had $1200 worth of ships and I would have been happy to keep it there if the game actually made some decent progress.

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by EZ's PC's View Post
    Nice set-up man. I got the x55 rhino. I used to play Elite sooooo much. I was also pretty deep into Star Citizen until I got fed up with the progression of development that I got a refund for my money.
    Thanks, EZ!

Rhino is another great stick! I too am fed-up with Star Citizen. Didn't think to ask for a refund - maybe I should look into that...

Leave a comment:

• EZ's PC's
    replied
    Nice set-up man. I got the x55 rhino. I used to play Elite sooooo much. I was also pretty deep into Star Citizen until I got fed up with the progression of development that I got a refund for my money.

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
    Nothing yet, but I bought an Oculus Rift over the holidays and Elite Dangerous too, along with the HOTAS. I haven't played a sim in decades, but kinda went all in with ED / HOTAS. It'll be a steep learning curve I'm sure, but I'm up for it!
    Awesome, Bart! Elite Dangerous is amazing in the rift! Hit me up in game anytime and I can show you the ropes if you'd like any help. Same name in game as here.

Cheers and see you in the black!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X