Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to water cooling - now I've got the water-cooling bug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use mostly soft tube myself. Also mixed in hard tube on visual area. Its probably best way to do it. I just did drain to start testing out mayhem xtr 4nm. My Modular design really does help maintenance a lot (i tinker a lot)
    Last edited by section31; 07-15-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Made a bit more progress. 2 more tubes to figure out.

Comment

Bends complete and now running sysprep.

Attached Files

Comment

The rebuild/evolution is complete. My idle temps are back to normal. (30C on cpu and gpu). Under load seems to settle in at around 55C but sometimes my cpu spikes into the 70’s. Based on what I’ve read it’s pretty common on the 5800X. Can anyone comment on this?

The new active backplate for the 3090 makes a serious difference for the GPU memory temps. They were high 80's and sometimes into the 90's. Now sitting at 40 idle/60 max.

Coolant temps idle in the mid 20’s and under synthetics (Heaven looping for around 2 hours) settle in and hold at 40C. (My Ambient temps are around 22C). Under a normal gaming load, the coolant seems to level off around 35C. This is with the 6 rad fans running at their lowest speed, as I prefer silent operation and they are far quieter than the old 120mm Typhoons I was running.

The rebuild was not without some challenges. The LianLi modular fan design is nice but has some downsides, in that they really limit your choices of fittings on the radiators.

My dark side 16mm hard tube fittings were a tad too big to fit so I had to make some sacrifices. Namely had to use my old soft tube barb fittings between the two cross flow rads, which I wasn’t overly happy about, but it works and it’s out of the way enough that you can’t really see it unless you’re really looking close.

Love the new flow meter/temp sensor recommended by Bart. Didn’t realize it could also measure coolant conductivity. Sort of a nice touch to have. To that end, is it normal for the Mayhem XT1 nuke coolant to have a higher conductivity then plain old distilled water? XT1 Nuke reads around 39.8 us/cm versus distilled water I got from the drug store which was only around 4.9.

Haven’t settled on an RGB colour yet. Just messing with the different options. The reviews on the Lian Li SL140’s said the lights were dim… I disagree. They are very bright at least when there are six running. Will likely keep them toned down to 50% or less once I decide on a colour.

Anyways, all in all, I’m quite happy with this next evolution of my build.

Current system specs are as follows:
          Asus ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (WiFi)
          64 GB Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600 Mhz CAS16 memory
          Ryzen 5800X
          EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3090
          EVGA DG-86 Case
          850 Watt Corsair PSU
          Currently running the latest Win11 Dev Preview.

WC parts:
          EK D5 Pump W 250 Res
          EK Vector XC3 GPU Block and Active Backplate
          Heatkiller IV CPU block
          2 X Aquacomputer Xflow 420mm x 30 rads
          6 x Lian Li SL140 Modular Fans
          Aquacomputer flow/temp sensor
          Bitspower in-line filter
          Lots of Darkside 16 MM HT fittings plus a few EK fittings.
          Lots of various darkside fittings. (90's, 45's, etc)
          16 OD PETG from Daz
          Mayhem Xt1 Nuke clear coolant mixed with Daz's pure distilled water

Let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions.

Pics are from my phone, as I loaned my sd card reader out and it never returned.

-Mack
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-18-2021, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Don't know why it is, but I always go back to plain white LEDs. Just looks the best to my eye.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-18-2021, 03:37 AM.

Comment

I am the same honestly. These fans look great in white. Only issue is they are too wide.

Caused issue when installing on my watercool mo-ra3. I heard from people using watercool new internal rads same issue . One end of the screw holes doesn’t align.

Comment

For the coolant quality detection, I turned all that bunk off, otherwise it just alarms like crazy. I have never once cared about the conductivity of my coolant, and I'm not about to start now, LOL! Aquacomputer has a habit of coming up with things like that, things that no one ever asked for or needed. Distilled water + additives is my main jam, I rarely use bottled coolant, and that's obviously conductive, and makes that Next sensor very unhappy. Build looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                  For the coolant quality detection, I turned all that bunk off, otherwise it just alarms like crazy. I have never once cared about the conductivity of my coolant, and I'm not about to start now, LOL! Aquacomputer has a habit of coming up with things like that, things that no one ever asked for or needed. Distilled water + additives is my main jam, I rarely use bottled coolant, and that's obviously conductive, and makes that Next sensor very unhappy. Build looks great!
                  Thanks Bart!

Yea, I did a premix my first time around but quickly realized it’s better to stick with distilled plus an additive. Thank you again for your insight!

I guess this is Aquacomputers way of trying to sell their premix coolants as the user guide says you should only use their coolant products. LOL
                  Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-18-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
                    I am the same honestly. These fans look great in white. Only issue is they are too wide.

Caused issue when installing on my watercool mo-ra3. I heard from people using watercool new internal rads same issue . One end of the screw holes doesn’t align.
                    yea, I can understand that. I was lucky I had spare fittings I could use to make it work. I do like the overall look of them and how quiet they are, but you are correct - they could really do some work to optimize the overall size of the bezels/mounting holes for rad users.

Comment

Originally posted by MackTheKnight View Post

Thanks Bart!

Yea, I did a premix my first time around but quickly realized it’s better to stick with distilled plus an additive. Thank you again for your insight!

I guess this is Aquacomputers way of trying to sell their premix coolants as the user guide says you should only use their coolant products. LOL
                      Actually the thing does work. It tells you if there foreign particles in the loop. Low 20ish is distilled water. If your 30+ you got some particles in your loop. Figures with mayhem are 90-100 and dazmode protector is 120-130. Mayhem XTR 4nm is 50-70 as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post

Actually the thing does work. It tells you if there foreign particles in the loop. Low 20ish is distilled water. If your 30+ you got some particles in your loop. Figures with mayhem are 90-100 and dazmode protector is 120-130. Mayhem XTR 4nm is 50-70 as of now.
                        Can’t imagine any particles left in the loop as I flushed it with over 10 litres of distilled water after running the mayhem blitz part 2 cleaner through it for 12+ hours.

When it had the plain distilled in it, it was reading between 4.9 and 6.5.

The measurement jumped to around 38 after putting in the Mayhem XT1 Nuke clear concentrate. Maybe it’s seeing the additives in it as some sort of pollutant. Flow rate dropped a bit too after adding the concentrate. Was around 180 and now down to around 155. The concentrate must add some viscosity compared to plain distilled water.

-Mack

Comment

Isn't the conductivity detection feature for letting you know if you have something going wrong like, ex: corrosion or oxidation since it will change the liquid property, more than alarming you for the conductivity itself?

Comment

By the way, good quality premixes won't be conductive, or very close to it. If they use distilled just like us, and then add additives, just like us, there won't be any mineral in it and by it, be non conductive. It is more viscous tho because of bio products but it will only affect flow a little or else, it would just get jammed in the micro-fins of the waterblocks. Personally, I prefer premix but I used both premix and concentrate over the years and never had a single issue with any of them. So no matter what you use, as long as the loop is preped properly, you won't have any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post

Isn't the conductivity detection feature for letting you know if you have something going wrong like, ex: corrosion or oxidation since it will change the liquid property, more than alarming you for the conductivity itself?
                              Not sure, that would make sense if it didn't throw tons of alarms from the start. The thing freaks out if you use distilled in any form, so it's not freaking out about changes over time. It freaks out to the point that I'm betting 90% of people who bought the Next learn how to disable the alarm as the first thing they learn in Aquasuite.

Comment

Not sure, that would make sense if it didn't throw tons of alarms from the start. The thing freaks out if you use distilled in any form, so it's not freaking out about changes over time. It freaks out to the point that I'm betting 90% of people who bought the Next learn how to disable the alarm as the first thing they learn in Aquasuite.
                                That's weird. I know and talk with many people who uses it, including the people I recommended the thing to and I haven't heard of that yet. Maybe they just haven't mentioned it. Guess I'll have to test it myself lol. Need to get another Octo, and a high flow next. Might just get the leakshield while at it. Will see.

Comment

Working...
                                X