Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to water cooling - now I've got the water-cooling bug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• section31
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
    I spoke back with people I had a nice chat with about the leakshield before release. They all love it. Ima be getting one for sure. The air bleeding feature is really really nice. For rigs like mine that can't be tilted at all to Bleed air, is deffinately very attractive. The loop filling feature is quite nice too. All you have to do is connect a closed container to it and it will transfer the liquid from it into the loop without effort! I don't care about the leak prevention tho. Never saw a loop have a big hole formed in the tubes out of nowhere lol. That's really useless imo except for testing leaks before filling but already testing that with the EK tester. Forgot to ask about flow/temp sensors but if it shows temps, I'd be very happy with it. For flow, only using an indicator. Easy to say if the loop is running fine from the speed the impeller is moving. I believe it also shows coolant quality like the high flow next but not certain. Gona need to go read about it to make sure.
    You guys should buy it from aquacomputer. If you get say 5ppl then shipping drops to much more reasonable figures. Pick up and flow meter, etc in the process.

The next flow meter shows the following info in aquasuite.

Even myself its an option for my friends if if the us option wasn’t available. I am also working on watercool.de order for more rads and possibly ftw3 blocks and some kind of optimus order.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Yea, I’d be interested in getting a leakshield if Daz ever carries them. Like you, I’m mainly interested in it for bleeding and filling of the loop. This case has gotta weigh close to 65 lbs if not more. Makes bleeding it a pain.

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    I spoke back with people I had a nice chat with about the leakshield before release. They all love it. Ima be getting one for sure. The air bleeding feature is really really nice. For rigs like mine that can't be tilted at all to Bleed air, is deffinately very attractive. The loop filling feature is quite nice too. All you have to do is connect a closed container to it and it will transfer the liquid from it into the loop without effort! I don't care about the leak prevention tho. Never saw a loop have a big hole formed in the tubes out of nowhere lol. That's really useless imo except for testing leaks before filling but already testing that with the EK tester. Forgot to ask about flow/temp sensors but if it shows temps, I'd be very happy with it. For flow, only using an indicator. Easy to say if the loop is running fine from the speed the impeller is moving. I believe it also shows coolant quality like the high flow next but not certain. Gona need to go read about it to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• section31
    replied
    Originally posted by Bartacus View Post

No idea, I have the Next but not interested in the Leakshield.
    It was you, shawnb99 and hypermatrix that started asking questions about the leakshield that effectively killed the interest for that product in the optimus thread.

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied

Oh! I thought you had it... my bad man..

Leave a comment:

• Bartacus
    replied

Does the High Flow Next and Leakshield both have same flow/temperature readings? I mean, if I get the leakshield, would it still be worth it getting the High Flow Next?

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    Cool, that makes a lot more sense. I only bought mine because I wanted temp and flow rate on one display instead of two. It is a very cool little toy for sure.
    Does the High Flow Next and Leakshield both have same flow/temperature readings? I mean, if I get the leakshield, would it still be worth it getting the High Flow Next?

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied
    Yea, it’s awesome. Thanks again for recommending it!

Leave a comment:

• Bartacus
    replied
    Cool, that makes a lot more sense. I only bought mine because I wanted temp and flow rate on one display instead of two. It is a very cool little toy for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    Originally posted by MackTheKnight View Post

Very strange indeed! Mine didn't come in the box with any alarms pre-defined, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I did a bit of research and found an interesting thread on the Aquacomputers forum. (Linked below) In a nutshell, they say that different fluid and additive manufacturers have different acceptable conductivity limits, depending on how their fluid is made. You can set your own "quality" limits within the Aquasuite tool if you choose, based on the fluid you're using. As I understand it, the main point of the tool is to alert you to extreme swings from whatever your base-line ends up being for the fluid you choose to use.

In my case, the default baseline out of the box was that anything lower than 50 uS/cm is considered 100% quality. Once the reading goes above 50, the quality begins to decline and eventually hits zero at 95 uS/cm.

They also mention that your water temperature will also impact the reading slightly. (The higher your water temp, the lower the reading will go and vice-versa) So you have to adjust the limits with that in mind as well.

All that said, from what I've learned, it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Pure distilled water will show a low reading, as that's what the sensor is calibrated for. When you add a concentrate or additive, that is going to show a higher reading, simply because you are changing the purity of the distilled water. In that case, it not necessarily bad, it's just different than pure distilled water.

As Danny & Section31 allude to, I think the value will be in the long term. IE if your baseline suddenly changes drastically, it will give you a hint that something has caused your loop to change, or it's simply time to flush and put new coolant in.

Cheers,
    Mack
    Yup, exactly how I understood it as well. Just can't confirm it since I haven't personally tested it myself yet. Only info I have is from Aquacomputer directly or info given by my friends and other people experience like you and forums/Facebook. I'm certainly getting one as soon as I can haha. So many nice little features on these little things. Gets expensive real quick but imho totally worth it!

Leave a comment:

• MackTheKnight
    replied

Not sure, that would make sense if it didn't throw tons of alarms from the start. The thing freaks out if you use distilled in any form, so it's not freaking out about changes over time. It freaks out to the point that I'm betting 90% of people who bought the Next learn how to disable the alarm as the first thing they learn in Aquasuite.
    Very strange indeed! Mine didn't come in the box with any alarms pre-defined, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I did a bit of research and found an interesting thread on the Aquacomputers forum. (Linked below) In a nutshell, they say that different fluid and additive manufacturers have different acceptable conductivity limits, depending on how their fluid is made. You can set your own "quality" limits within the Aquasuite tool if you choose, based on the fluid you're using. As I understand it, the main point of the tool is to alert you to extreme swings from whatever your base-line ends up being for the fluid you choose to use.

In my case, the default baseline out of the box was that anything lower than 50 uS/cm is considered 100% quality. Once the reading goes above 50, the quality begins to decline and eventually hits zero at 95 uS/cm.

They also mention that your water temperature will also impact the reading slightly. (The higher your water temp, the lower the reading will go and vice-versa) So you have to adjust the limits with that in mind as well.

All that said, from what I've learned, it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Pure distilled water will show a low reading, as that's what the sensor is calibrated for. When you add a concentrate or additive, that is going to show a higher reading, simply because you are changing the purity of the distilled water. In that case, it not necessarily bad, it's just different than pure distilled water.

As Danny & Section31 allude to, I think the value will be in the long term. IE if your baseline suddenly changes drastically, it will give you a hint that something has caused your loop to change, or it's simply time to flush and put new coolant in.

Cheers,
    Mack
    Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-19-2021, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied

Not sure, that would make sense if it didn't throw tons of alarms from the start. The thing freaks out if you use distilled in any form, so it's not freaking out about changes over time. It freaks out to the point that I'm betting 90% of people who bought the Next learn how to disable the alarm as the first thing they learn in Aquasuite.
    That's weird. I know and talk with many people who uses it, including the people I recommended the thing to and I haven't heard of that yet. Maybe they just haven't mentioned it. Guess I'll have to test it myself lol. Need to get another Octo, and a high flow next. Might just get the leakshield while at it. Will see.

Leave a comment:

• Bartacus
    replied

Isn't the conductivity detection feature for letting you know if you have something going wrong like, ex: corrosion or oxidation since it will change the liquid property, more than alarming you for the conductivity itself?

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    By the way, good quality premixes won't be conductive, or very close to it. If they use distilled just like us, and then add additives, just like us, there won't be any mineral in it and by it, be non conductive. It is more viscous tho because of bio products but it will only affect flow a little or else, it would just get jammed in the micro-fins of the waterblocks. Personally, I prefer premix but I used both premix and concentrate over the years and never had a single issue with any of them. So no matter what you use, as long as the loop is preped properly, you won't have any problem.

Leave a comment:

• Danny79-Qc
    replied
    For the coolant quality detection, I turned all that bunk off, otherwise it just alarms like crazy. I have never once cared about the conductivity of my coolant, and I'm not about to start now, LOL! Aquacomputer has a habit of coming up with things like that, things that no one ever asked for or needed. Distilled water + additives is my main jam, I rarely use bottled coolant, and that's obviously conductive, and makes that Next sensor very unhappy. Build looks great!
    Isn't the conductivity detection feature for letting you know if you have something going wrong like, ex: corrosion or oxidation since it will change the liquid property, more than alarming you for the conductivity itself?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X