Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time water-cooling rig = Warlord Cronus

Hi everyone,

I guess it's time for me to start my work log, so here it is.

The Story
    I decided to build a new gaming computer as I gear up for future VR playing. My previous gaming computer is already 10-15 years old, so I figured it's time to upgrade!

The Inspiration
    While I was doing my research about custom hard tube water cooling, I ran across a case modding competition where I discovered this case; Click image for larger version

Name:	post-5678-0-93289100-1465304600_thumb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	80250 I fell in love with that case right away. I plan to use that as inspiration to create a hybrid between that case and some Warhammer 40K titan units like Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_16.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	80251 and Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageProxy.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	80252.

The Parts
    Main Components;
    - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6Gb Graphics Card
    - Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 RGB Motherboard
    - Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 CPU
    - Thermaltake Core x71 Full Tower Case
    - Samsung 960 EVO 250Gb NVMe SSD M.2 Reed 3200MB/s Write 1500MB/s
    - Corsair Vengeance RAM 2x8GB RGB
    - Corsair HX 1050W Power Supply

Additional Parts;
    - Corsair LL140 RGB LED 2 Fans Kit
    - Corsair LL140 RGB LED (Sing Fan) x2
    - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Speed Black
    - Razer DeathAdder Elite Mouse
    - Razer Golianthus Speed Terra Edition 1 foot by 3 feet mouse mat
    - EK M.2 Heatsink (Gold)
    - CableMod WideBeam Hybrid LED RGB/UV 60cm strip
    - CableMod WideBeam Hybrid LED RGB/UV 60cm Kit
    - WD 1T hard drive SATA

DazMods Parts;
    - Mayhems Dye UV Green
    - Mayhems Dye Emerald Green
    - Mayhems Dye Non-Stain Yellow
    - Compression 45 x2
    - Air Vent
    - Tee x2
    - Compression straight fitting x8
    - Silicon insert for tube bending
    - Pipe bending tool
    - Straight barb fitting
    - Adjustable nipple 22-31mm
    - Temperature Sensor
    - Biocide solution (100ml) x2
    - Alphacool 420mm Radiator ST30
    - EK-FB GA Z270X/Z370X RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    - Ball Valve
    - Spacer 5mm
    - Spacer 14mm
    - PETG 16mm Hard Tube (500mm) x4
    - D5 Barrel 310 Reservoir+Pump combo. Vario D5 pump
    - 24-Pin ATX jump start connector for power supply
    - EK filling bottle 1L
    - Black zip ties 30 pieces
    - Black velcro 3 feet
    - 24-Pin ATX MF Cable extender Green UV
    - 4+4-Pin EPS MF Cable extender Green UV
    - 8-Pin PCI-E MF Cable extender Green UV
    - 24-Pin Open Comb Green x4
    - 8-Pin Open Comb Green x7
    Had to get more fittings;
    - 90 female by female elbow x2
    - 16mm straight connectors x4
    - 16mm Hard pipe 500mm x2

Plastic Parts;
    - Acrylic Sheet 2'x4'x3mm
    - Acrylic Tube 8'x1/2'OD
    - Glue for Acrylic
    - Glue Applicator
    - ABS pipes, PVC pipes, PEX pipes
    - All-purpose crazy glue
    Last edited by Ruslan66; 04-24-2018, 01:25 AM.

All the parts have finally arrived and I started my photoshoot
    It was a very exciting day! After about 2-3 months of research and finding all the parts online, and then comparing them to several different websites for price comparison, I am finally starting my build.
    Here is the unboxing;

Last edited by Ruslan66; 04-22-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Day 1
      Mounted the Monoblock on the CPU
      Mounted the RAM on the motherboard
      Mounted the Motherboard to the case
      Mounted the M.2 SSD
      Mounted the 1060 GTX to the motherboard
      Was in the process of mounting the 420mm Rad but discovered that it's too big and will not fit on the top. Had no choice but to put it in the front.
      That force my entire piping design to be changed.
      Mounted the Rad on the front.
      Mounted the stock fans on the front to push air into the case through the rad.
      Mounted the new Corsair 140mm fans on the top and back. These 4 fans will blow the hot air out of the PC. Plus some awesome RGB action will be seen in later logs.
      Mounted the UV Green cables for the motherboard. with the cable, combs to make it look nice and neat.

Last edited by Ruslan66; 04-22-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Day 2
        Mounted the Reservoir
        Put a small nipple on the bottom with a Tee pointing up, and a ball valve on the straight for dumping port later on.

Discovered that I should have bought longer pipe, the 500mm was too short for most of my new runs. Had to improvise, i put another Tee on the top of that vertical line in the back, and put an air vent on top of the Tee, followed by a straight fitting on the branch of the tee and pend a pipe 90 degree to end up in the top of the Resevoir.

Piped the outlet from the CPU to the top of the Rad
        Used the remaining pipe to make 1 pipe coming up from the outlet of the reservoir towards the CPU inlet, and another pipe from the CPU inlet going towards the Reservoir. I'll have to buy additional compression 90s to finish this run
        The plan is to go from the pump to the Monoblock, out the monoblock to the rad, out the rad back to the top of the Reservoir.
        I know in the unboxing i am showing a 600W power supply, but i will be using the 1050W i have in my current box and swapping out the 600W into the old case.
        Last edited by Ruslan66; 04-22-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Hey question for you guys... i am trying to figure out where to buy regular distilled water and found these 2 so far.

They both seem to be "Ozonized" whatever that means?
          Is either of these 2 good for this build? or is there some other specific type of distilled water I should use?
          I plan to mix into the distilled water the Daz Protector biocide, I believe they recommending a 1:4 mixing ratio.
          And later add some UV Green dye

Comment

Yes, either is fine.
            Just add some Daz protect and your good to go.

Great looking bit of kit you have there.
            Can't wait to see the modding get started.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Looking forward to the modding as well, you have some cool colours in there with the green/gold.
              My Imgur

Comment

Thanks, guys. The inside of the case is almost done. but I need to buy more parts from Daz to finish the layout.
                Today i finished putting on the 2x 60cm LED strips, they are going to be awesome! it's RGB +UV light. I think the UV lights will make the dye color and cable mods pop with that Neon Green color.
                Gonna start working on installing the Power Source and start working on cable management on the back.
                I was wondering if i should make a shroud on the back wall behind the Reservoir and bottom portion?

Comment

cool parts list, like the mono block looks nice. Welcome to the build logs
                  Blackout
                  Something-New
                  Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

pretty much finished wiring everything but I'm not sure if I wired all the fans correctly...

I have 4 fans of Corsair LL series, they each come with 2 wires. 1 wire from each fan i connected to the Node that came with the fans, and the other wire from each fan was connected to the motherboard slots that say "sys fan"
                    Did I connect those right?
                    Next, I also have 2 Thermaltake fans and a regular fan that came with the X71 case. those have 3 pin connectors instead of 4 pins like the Corsairs do. I connected those to "sys fan" as well with the 1 pin not connected.
                    Also, i was wondering about the wires coming off the D5 pump, 1 of the wires was connected to the power supply, but the other wire is 1 blue wire with a 3 pin connector on the end. i'm just wondering where am i supposed to connect this? the slot where it say "Fan_Pump"??

Comment

Well, Corsair couldn't make a simple manual so you have to watch some crap videos to figure it out if you not knowing.

Should have a couple of boxes for plugging the fans into. 1 for the Power to fans and 1 for the RGB lighting.
                      The box for fan power should connect all the fans and 1 wire to the motherboard and a SATA power cable.
                      The other box connects all the RBG lighting is also powered by a SATA connector and has a USB cable to the internal USB2 header.

TT Fans will be similar but will use their own fan controller box and RGB box.

These will require different software than the Corsair fans to control the RGB effects

The D5 blue with 3 pin plug wire is for mounting to one of your motherboards or fan controllers header to report the RPM of the pump

Comment

Good looking build there Ruslan66. Really like the look of the Thermaltake Core chassis. I think it's the perforated panels I like. I would be tempted to move the air release valve from the 'T', to a port at the top of your reservoir. I think you will get better performance from the device if it is servicing the air space above the coolant in your reservoir instead of being in a 'live' part of your loop. You could just plug the 3rd port of the 'T' or, put a temp sensor there or, change the 'T' to a 90. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else has some thoughts on the matter.
                        The SLOB : A 3570K Build
                        Down & Out : A 2600K Build
                        V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Good stuff, looking for more pictures.
                          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                          Venom Build: Build Log,
                          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                          Orange Build: Final Video
                          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

New parts came in, I managed to get a little bit of work done.
                            - Installed the Corsair 1050W PSU
                            - Finished the rest of the piping for the water cooling loop

@wattermain, thanks for the input, but as you can see in the shot below it makes no difference if the air vent is directly above the reservoir or on the right side as I have it. It made me think, however, and I realized that perhapse it would have been better if the air vent was coming off the top of the radiator instead and air would naturally want to go up. but I hope that the pump would overcome those air pockets and push it out the return and to the air vent before the water goes back to the resevoir. I'm not going to redo the loop this time around and i dont want to buy more parts again and redo the loop, but i will definitly keep it in mind for when i decide to upgrade this build in the future.

- Finished all the wiring in the back. It's a mess, I know. but it won't be seen.
                            - Installed a WD 1TB hard drive in the back.
                            - Wired up all the fans and LEDs properly (Thanks Hooded for the info)

After finishing the loop I was excited to test it out and give it a flush cycle to "rinse out" any particles in the loop and any remaining dirt in the radiator.

IT LEACKED! I figured out that I put the spaces on top when I should have put it at the pump outlet. I tried to take it out from the top and put it on the bottom.... over tighten it and broke the thread off! arrgh! improvised by swapping it with a 45 elbow instead.

Cutting out my shrouds.

I didn't like how the case floor looked like under the pump, and the back wall behind the pump. So I'm gonna paint it mat black and put some writing on it and maybe logos. we'll see. I'm working on the concept art now.

That's all for now. Next step I need to figure out what kind of writing and art i want to have on the shrouds and start painting and gluing the parts together so I can finish the art on the inside of the case and assemble everything back together and take it for another leak test.
                            I also came up with some concept art on the outside of the case. just haven't gotten around to cutting the acrylic for it and shaping it yet.
                            I'll report back when I get more stuff done. maybe this weekend.
                            Last edited by Ruslan66; 05-03-2018, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Good stuff
                              Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X