• Show
Clear All

Nice shots sir

Lookin forward to seeing the paste results

Comment

Great Pics Iz
      Looks like fun times a head
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

So I just took my last readings for AS5 vs MX-4 on the CPU-360...

My testing process was as follows using prime95 for loading and only showing 1 window on desktop to ensure I'm not adding inconsistent heat from GPUs
        -15min @100% fan speed full load (ignore results)
        -15min @100% fan speed idle (ignore results)

-15min @100% fan speed full load take measurement
        -15min @100% fan speed idle take measurement

-15min @40% fan speed full load take measurement
        -15min @40% fan speed idle take measurement

Temperature below = delta above ambient (or at least what I used to record ambients)
        @100% Fan Speed
        AS5
        Idle: 2.8'c
        Load: 13.8'c

MX-4
        Idle: 2.8'c
        Load: 14.3'c

@40% Fan Speed
        AS5
        Idle: 4.8'c
        Load: 17.0'c

MX-4
        Idle: 4.8'c
        Load: 17.5'c

In short for what I did they are equivalent products at idle however under full load I was able to see upwards of 0.5'c difference in favor of good ol' capacitive AS5. However with two 6990's being in the same loop, and a radiator as big as the one I have there is always some margin of error. But running the tests multiple times I got pretty consistent results.
        Corsair 800D
        2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
        Software Developer

Comment

That looks like a very thorough test to me Iz. Great info imo. Thanks
          Last edited by Hooded; 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Ok so MX4 + CPU-380 and to be honest I ended up running prime95 for 30 minute cycles instead of 15 minutes because I simply didn't believe the temperature read outs.

100% Fan Speed
            Idle: 2.1'c
            Load: 9.7'c

40% Fan Speed
            Idle: 4.3'c
            Load: 12.8'c

I didn't break 30'c when the fans were on full and under full load.
            Corsair 800D
            Software Developer

Comment

Nice work Izerous! Thanks for sharing.
              Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

those are pretty darn low......awesome!

Comment

I'm surprised AS5 came out on top like that. Not to crap on Izerous or anything, but for a true test you really need to re-apply the TIM multiple times. Every other test I've ever seen on the internet has MX2/MX4 beating AS5 by a decent margin. But I also think it comes down to the paste application. Someone who's used one or the other for years knows just how much to apply, so when they switch TIMs, they often don't get a feel for the newer TIM until they apply it 4 or 5 times. Just my $0.02. Most of the big brand names are close enough that it really doesn't matter; all personal preference. Nice temps Izerous!

Comment

Was more curious about the block vs block comparison to start. Although I checked the spread of the paste on the 360 after taking the readings and before posting the results otherwise I would not have posted the numbers at all if I felt it was a bad mount/bad application.

I picked up some arctic clean surface cleaner and intend to play with this a bit more still when I get some more time, this week is looking pretty busy though.
                    Corsair 800D
                    Software Developer

Comment

I did eventually get to do 3 more mounts with both pastes but cannot seem to find the notebook that I wrote all of them down in. The results backed up previous results of the AS5 coming out just slightly ahead but by no more than 0.5'c under full load. The one thing I will note is even though the AS5 was getting slightly better results for me I decided to use the MX4 going forward for 2 reasons.

1. The whole non-conductive thing is nice, if it is an awkward application then don't have to worry about an oops. Such as if I don't take my case out from underneath my desk.
                      2. I used up the last of the AS5 I had in my stash .
                      Corsair 800D
                      Software Developer

Comment

Not much has changed with my computer in a while now, haven't seen much point and I find I spend less joyful time on it lately with a 5 month old in the house. But I did take advantage of some amazing deals near Christmas that I simply couldn't pass up...

I sold off my triple 1080 24in monitors and arm mounts and picked up a brand new never used but open box Samsung SA850 (27in 1440p) monitor for an amazing deal. Actually almost broke even within $20 after selling my older monitors.
                        Also picked up 2x light bar kits from Corsair while they were on sale for the dominator ram, overall impressions are mehh, feel like getting red tint an coloring the plastic to get rid of the white coloring.
                        The really good deal was a Nikon D5200 package with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens and a few other pieces paid for in VISA points that I has racked up minus the cost of taxes. Still need to learn how to properly use this thing though. Below is a reduced images after some quick playing around.

Corsair 800D
                        Software Developer

Comment

Light bar on the ram look good

Sounds like a good way to use points to me

Comment

I think the white looks pretty cool.
                            The Ultra Fancy Build
                            The Bluehawk Pedestrian Build

The Bluehawk Ultra Build - Retired
                            The Fancy Pedestrian Build - Retired

Comment

Good build. Keep it up!

Comment

I now have a second HX-1080 sitting on my desk, and placed an order via daz for the splitter I needed. That combined with some parts in previous order knowing I would probably go this direction with two of them I'll have everything I need except another 9 matching fan.

Short term plan is to mount it the same as the first and just stick it out almost in a sandwich style but not quite.

Long term plan is to actually find a dedicated enclosure for the 2 rads/fans/res and maybe the pumps. I build something or mod some existing case I don't know yet. Then I'll probably find something smaller than this 800D to house the computer in as there is already a bunch of wasted empty space in it just making it overly heavy and difficult to move.
                                Last edited by Izerous; 01-25-2015, 04:01 AM.
                                Corsair 800D
                                Software Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X