Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project - MAX-Overdrive

**EDIT for parts and Name change, explained below**

I was hasty on the name but changing it now to MAX-Overdrive. The name has a lot more meaning to me as it will be in part dedicated to my best friend of almost 17 years that I sadly had to put down a couple years back. His name was MAX and he was a German Sheppard cross and by far the best dog and friend Ive ever had, so this is for him

So I'm going to try to start my second-ish build log here. I am calling this one " MAX-Overdrive " and its mainly going to mostly be a black, red and chrome build. And some parts are maybe yet to be announced, but most that I am using are are already in the current build I'm tearing down including the Scarlet red EK fluid. Ill be using the Thermaltake Level 20 GT for the most part and will hopefully be heavily customizing it, mostly on the interior if all goes according to the madness in my head lol.

I'm also hoping to do a rough build in 3D and hopefully can save myself some time and money as its far cheaper to build it in 3D on the computer than in reality lol.

Main Components (so far lol) :

Case - Thermaltake Level 20 GT RGB Plus
    CPU - Intel i9-9900k
    Motherboard - ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    Memory - 32GB 8*4 - Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200mhz
    GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti
    SSD - Samsung M.2 970Pro 500GB
    PSU - Corsair HX1000i

Watercooling Components:

CPU Block - EK-Velocity D-RGB Intel water block
    Radiators - Currently Three EK CS Series 140mm (Still not sure if Ill stick with these or change to one or two larger rads)
    Pump/Top Combo - DCC PWM Pump with EK Acrylic Polished Top
    Fittings - Mix of Darkside and Bitspower
    Tubing - Acrylic Bitspower 12mm OD Hard Tube
    Coolant - no idea yet on type, brand or colour of fluid
    Reservoir - Heatkiller 200mm Glass Reservoir, I really want another one if I can afford it for a second GPU loop.

Miscellaneous:

Lighting - Corsair RGB Pro Strips
    Fans - 4x Corsair LL140 RGB Fans, 3x Corsair ML140 pro's, 2x Thermaltake 200mm RGBplus
    Cables - Hopefully custom sleeved by me, still working on a pattern/colours

Ill post what I currently have that will be torn down as Im not 100% happy with it...

Thanks.
    BTW feel free to shoot any advice over, I have think skin and not easily offended and always open to learning from other people that have actual experience

Cheers,
    -dave
    Last edited by dknourek; 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM.

HI, my name is Dave and I am a PC modding and water cooling addict, and I have been a Modding addict for close to 20 years and a water cooling addict for the last year or so

nass you were right on the addicting part. Ive gone a little nuts in the past few months between Dazmode and Performance PC's Ive probabily dropped about 2k or 3k easily on cooling just my own workstations and render slaves, but as I told my wife I work alone in my office and have to look at these things for 12h to 16h or sometimes 18hours a day and might as well have them look nice as it helps my creativity. That's the story I'm currently sticking with lol.

Well after finding out that this could possibly be my entry for next years Mod Competition I might go all out on this one

I'm sure knowing my self that it will probably evolve into 3 or 4 more builds until then lol, I do have 3 other computers Im working on as well and given I'm not busy enough and have at least a good hour left in the day I'm not really doing anything productive like sleeping I could use that hour for more builds lol.

Comment

Looks nice. Is it already finished?
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I was just looking over my current rig and thought I would check my temps as its been running at 100% CPU usage since Dec 7th and to my surprise its staying stable at 47.3C @ 3.8Ghz across all cores on my 2990WX and the coolant is around 32.1C. I actually expected the temps to be worse switching from my EK CE 420 rad to the three EK CE 140mm rads and thought I might have to add one or two more but Im very happy with the current performance

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
          Looks nice. Is it already finished?
          This one is currently but I'm hoping over xmas that I can get the time to tear it completely apart and mod the case to where Im happy with it, that's partly why I ordered all that new tubing and fluid on my way back from Jamaica. I don't like the motherboard tray and the other metal connected to it so Im going to gut the case completely and make my own motherboard tray and accessory supports like on the front for the rez, pump and anything else and on the back new mounts for drives and fan/rgb controllers. And I might make my own video card mount and have the card at an angle rather than completely vertical. Id love to put a waterblock on the 1080Ti but its still under warranty and I need that to make my living lol. I am saving for a newer RTX card that comes with a waterblock though...

By the way thanks again for the stellar support on getting my order out before my flight
          -dave

Comment

Ordering parts while on vacation is DETERMINATION!

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
              Ordering parts while on vacation is DETERMINATION!
              More like ADDICTION haha

Comment

Made some changes to hardware, going Intel on this one and using my three 2990WX's as render slaves for my 3D work.
                considering on selling my 1920X and 1950X CPU's or I might get some cheep X399 boards and turn those in to more render slaves...

Comment

So Just a couple pics of the motherboard, CPU and CPU block. Trying to rough everything in to see how I want to design the tubing and such. I am half tempted to remove the entire middle motherboard tray and replace it with an acrylic sheet to fit the entire middle space to try to keep it as clean looking as possible. In the last two I was messing around trying to capture the lighting which is more impressive than the photos show, I'm quite happy with it

-dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAX-Ovewrdrive_001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	86932

Name:	MAX-Ovewrdrive_002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	86933

Name:	MAX-Ovewrdrive_003.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	86934

Name:	MAX-Ovewrdrive_004.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	86935

Comment

Looking good, although I would use solid color for myself.

Comment

On yes Ill definitely be using a solid colour for lighting once i build the rig. Just not sure what colour yet, I can't personally stand the rainbow unicorn barff lol it was just to demonstrate the DRGB lighting

Comment

Hopefully by Wednesday I can finally start building the initial version Max 1.0 I'm just waiting on some more parts I ordered on Friday to come in.
                        I was getting frustrated on how to build it and how I wanted it to look and went through countless renderings on concepts for tubing and the layout of everything but I finally ended up ordering a Barrow waterway plate and a Phanteks waterblock for my 1080Ti, and hopefully those will work out for me. I'm personally not a big fan of Phanteks but it was hard trying to find a waterblock I liked for my ASUS ROG STRIX 1080Ti as its not a FE card and I really wanted the ability to retain the ASUS backplate. Now to sort out the wiring and colours for that HAHA.

Comment

Cool Beans! All of my parts are in!! (I hope I haven't forgotten anything haha)
                          Now just to find and gather all the other parts that have been waiting over a month and start putting this rig together was hoping to start tonight but my back is buggered again and my meds for it are not working

Ill post some teaser pics in the mean time.

I got impatient with designing my own block and the issues that come with it and boom, I saw this Barrow waterway and figured I would give it a try the only thing I wish was that the top at least was polished but down the road I might give it a shot on polishing it myself but Ill see how this version 1.0 works out first.

Name:	IMG_7157sm1024.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	87190

This is a bright little bugger and the Barrow LRC2.0 controller I got from Daz a little while back works great. The only thing Im not overly happy with is there is no orange which I find strange with there being a billion different combinations for the DRGB remote. I just set it to white in the pic below which really messed with the colour balance on my iphone. I wanted to use my DSLR to take picks but between my back and shoulder it is tough at the moment with trying to shoot with a camera/lens/flash that weight about 8lbs combined

Name:	IMG_7172sm1024.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	87192

I also got the EK Heatsink Housing for the pump so I got that installed tonight with the pump top and then sleeved the wires. I went with black in case I change my mind on the second colour in the case in the future which can easily happen haha.

Name:	IMG_7168sm1024.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	87191
                          Sleeving all finished YAY!

Name:	IMG_7171sm1024.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	87193

Comment

Annnnnd I also bought a waterblock for my GPU and this thing weighs a TON! Its probably about double the weight of it was before with the air cooler on it...

Name:	IMG_7155sm1024.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	87291

Name:	IMG_7160sm1024.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	87292

Name:	IMG_7162sm1024.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	87293
                            And here it is lit... I was wishing I was lit too by the time I was done lol. I might make a couple changes to this though like take out the RGB lights and mod something for the bottom to hold a string of Aquacomputer RGBpx LED's to it. The one I have, has 30 LED's in the span of 27.3cm and its only 5mm wide and crazy bright. I also might either take off the chrome plates on the sides as they are a bitch to keep clean and polish or mod the plexi underneath or cover them in black vinyl or carbon fiber vinyl. I also did try to ask Phanteks some questions on it and I was pretty much rudely blown off so this is the last Phanteks product I buy as this is the third time Ive given them a chance and support was being asshats, but that's a story for another day.

Name:	IMG_7173sm1024.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	87294

Well that is it for now as I am in a crap ton of pain, exhausted and off to bed pretty quick. Thanks for making it this far and hopefully the finished build will be worthy of entering in to the BOTM
                            Cheers,
                            -dave
                            Last edited by dknourek; 05-23-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I see purple! I like it! I'm starting to dislike Phanteks too. Haven't heard a good thing about their support, or their new gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X