Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project : Glass Cannon (2.0)

Hey guys,

It's been over a month since I worked on any computers... and it itches. My torn apart Glass Cannon has been looking at me for too long. It's time to finish what I started.

For those of you who haven't seen the 1.0, the build log is located in the Canadian Amateur Modding Competition sub-forum:
    https://forum.dazmode.com/forum/memb...t-glass-cannon

I decided to start the build log before I do anything for two reasons:
    1. It'll motivate me to do something. I want to show you guys what was the final result I was looking for when I decided to machine this case. With the deadline of the modding competition, I didn't have enough time to finish the build the way I wanted it to be. Now that I have more time, I just need motivation.
    2. I'll take tons of pictures right at the start, trying to make the build as complete as I could.
    Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do. Now that the log is open, I'll have to work on the case tonight to have some stuff to show anytime soon!

I iwsh i had the skill, tools, time etc to even attempt a water plate some things I'd love to experiment with even with my current case leveraging something like that. Look forward to future changes.
    Corsair 800D
    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
    Software Developer

Comment

This build worth final polishing!
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

This is great news Seboo. Really looking forward to your 2.0 log.
        The SLOB : A 3570K Build
        Down & Out : A 2600K Build
        V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

This is my first time that I try to polish acrylic, and I think it came out good.

First, the setup and materials:
          For the rough, I have some 400 sandpaper to make the surface even. The 2 plates are not 100% aligned, but with a little sanding, it was like a 3/4'' one-piece. I cut small piece of sandpaper (4''x4'') to fit the black 3D-printed thingy that I used as a block to sand as straight as I could.

That's the look of the machined part right off the CNC.

Then, 600-800-1000-1500-2000-3000 sandpapers. Always under water, so the sandpaper is always clean. The surface is now smooth, but not clear:

On the first picture, you can see the Novus Plastic Polish I used. After sanding, you apply the #3 to remove deep scratches, then #2 to remove small scratches and finally #1 to polish the whole thing. Always use different cloth for every number, so that you don't contaminate other cloth with the abrasives.

The result is very far from the original part:

Not as straight as I wanted, but for a first part, I'm impressed with the surface finish.
          I cracked it open to clean any dirt, replaced the o-rings and went to my simple leak-test setup:

4 hours later, not a single drop. This part is ready for installation!
          Took me around 3 hours for these 2 parts. Now, I have 12 others to polish... That will take a while.

Comment

Well done seboo.
            Lots of elbow grease went into that I bet.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Impressive looks after polishing.
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

You really should replace your d5 with the d5 next. It's totally worth it look wise and is practical too . I just did friend build with one. I wonder if daz is going to carry it. I had to order mine from aquacomputer directly - always out of stock and on back order.

Comment

Nice job my friend, looking awesome!

Comment

Yeah, a lot of elbow grease, but it's worth the eye candy.
                    Thank you guys, glad you like it! I'll keep you posted with the other parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X