Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two builds at the same time, because Ryzen 9 is now mine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bart, it would be a shame if you had to abandon that tube. Maybe some soapy water and an air compressor
    The SLOB : A 3570K Build
    Down & Out : A 2600K Build
    V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

wattermain: it wasn't to be. I don't have a compressor handy, but it worked out in the end.

Big Rig 2.0 beta is online!

I was not able to salvage that multi-bend tube. It shall forever be enshrined as a monument to my failure! Lessons were learned though, so I thought I'd give it another go. It started out fine:

Managed to get all three bends done without losing the insert, yay!

But it turns out I got one part of it too long, so it didn't fit (apologies for upcoming poopy photos):

I got the last bend wrong too, LOL!

Now rather than waste more tube in a THIRD attempt, I changed the plan to something safer using fittings. But to digress a little, I decided to ditch my good old Koolance flow meter with 5.25" display in favor of a newer Barrow one, much less headaches. Plus it reads higher, so it makes my ePecker feel much bigger.

I also changed the tube routing to something that worked out perfectly, given my fetish for single-bend 90 degree tubes. The memory block now connects to the front port of the 240 rad in front.

This allowed me to sneak a little piece of black soft tube in behind to return to the reservoir. There was no bloody way I was hard tubing a tricky 2 inch run, LOL! I can stil access the fill port too.

Fast forward to now, and you can see how I managed to "rescue" two pieces of the most recent failed 3-bend attempt. Thank the flying spaghetti monster I have tons of fittings laying around. I had to use some leftover purple coolant (since I didn't want to waste it). Red dye will be ordered soon!

Flow meter indicates dual D5 varios at full power can change the rotation of the earth:

It looks like I have a fetish for the letter L, or maybe J:

My compromise, since I didn't want to waste another meter of hard tube:

It's not the prettiest thing ever, but the theme is consistent, LOL!

Now to flash a new BIOS and see what the temp difference is between this HeatKiller and the previous Barrow block. More to come once I get some red dye and do some testing!

Comment

Long weekend Big Rig Update!

I feel like I did tons of work, and made very little progress. But I'm getting somewhere now with this multiple bend stuff. Thankfully I had 4m of 16mm acrylic (still have 2m left). First thing I did this weekend was hit up Home Depot. I needed various things, small and not so small.

The biggest thing related to builds was this Dremel scroll saw (this makes cutting acrylic tube much easier):

For the small stuff, I bought some MDF pieces, and made myself a little bending jig board:

Now I mentioned previously I was disgusted with the previous layout. That's because I had something much different in mind when I put the HeatKiller CPU block back in. This is a shot of me lining up some scrap tube to math out the new tube runs:

I started out using straight 90s to set up the top-rad-to-CPU run:

After multiple attempts, I got a triple bend tube *almost* right:

What's hard to see in that pic is that the top part of the tube slopes DOWNWARD towards the top rad connection. This was poop, and I thought I had messed up that triple bend AGAIN. But then I had an epiphany and decided to include a rotary 90 in the top rad connection:

I was "iffy" on this, until I got the tube locked in place:

The tubes "meet in the middle" just like I wanted. All of that jigging with the radiator outlet was for this reason alone:

I was so pumped that I managed to rescue that CPU tube! That inspired me to commit to getting the next triple bend done as perfectly as I could. That bend would run from the bottom of the GPU up to the RAM block. At first, I thought I got it too long in the middle (just like the CPU tube). But then quickly realized that having an extensive collection of small black extension fittings is awesome. One 3mm extension on the bottom 90 GPU outlet fitting rescued yet another failed tube (WOOHOO!)! Voila, on the first attempt:

Having that mountain out of the way, I turned my attention to a simple change. I decided to replace the "fittings blob" at the outlet of the RAM block with a small piece of tube. I did this for a cleaner look, and to push the flow meter over a few centimetres. All I had to do was shorten the meter-to-240-rad tube, and I think it looks better:

Once you add it all up, the idea I originally had in mind is now reality:

Parallelism! I think! My OCD likes this very much:

Now I need to eat, finally! Then put the crappy purple coolant back in, and curse Canada Post yet again for misplacing my Daz order of red dye! More to come!

Comment

Post-food update!

Finally had some late lunch / early dinner, and got back to work. One last shot before fill up with crappy substitute purple coolant:

The most painful (and yet instructional) triple bend ever:

Filled up with temporary coolant (basically the same stuff I drained from the rig). But I added more purple/pink dye, just to see if I could make it look red with the red lights bouncing off it. Nah, still looks purple:

Fill port is still accessible, thankfully:

Fill port cap installed, top tube run looks nice and straight:

Got the big baby burped and powered up:

My OCD is very pleased. This should look killer in the dark, with proper blood red transparent coolant:

Almost done! Probably WOULD be done if Canada Post hadn't goofed, but oh well. I'm thinking this is definitely the final tube configuration. I'm loving the layout! But if anyone has any constructive criticism, or tips to improve it, I'm all ears!

Comment

Unexpected "sh*t broke but it turned out better in the end" update!

So after putting everything back together, while in the midst of being all too pleased with myself, I noticed my ghetto light panel wasn't looking right. While filling the system earlier, I accidentally kicked the plug controlling my power bar used to run the pumps while the pumps were running. Normally that isn't a problem with a closed fill port. But if you leave the fill port open, you get a nice big burp of liquid when the pumps quit. So I puked coolant all over the reservoir, and the light panel below. Somehow, the 12v Darkside LED strip survived, but the color yellow died.

I tell motherboard YELLOW:

Fractal Design Prism fans say "YES SIR, YELLOW SIR!":

LED strip says "dude like, what's yellow" and displays blue tinted white:

So for a moment, I said many bad words. Then I started thinking about how to replace the strips, when I realized I already had a canned solution ready to go. I had purchased several Darkside addressable 5v RGB LED strips from Daz a while back, and they came with a DRGB convertor cable so I can hook it directly up to the 5v header on the Aorus Master X570. BOOYA:

Rare sneak peek into the basement of thicc rads and dual D5 power:

Light panel is back to red and under motherboard control:

Now while fixing the light panel RGB situation, another epiphany hit me. The reservoir needs light. Currently, it has a small Darkside LED strip, but it's white. It's also very bright, and rather out of sync with the rest of the build. The epiphany was that not long ago, I purchased two Barrow RAM block kits, both RGB. I only used one kit, and the other one was sitting in a box. That kit contains a small solid 12v RGB strip that has it's own little RGB controller. It's the same controller used to control my RAM colors. Since this build is red themed, and those little controllers do a great job with solid red, I never worried about getting those controlled by the motherboard.

Two tiny screws and off it came:

Now if I look at a HeatKiller reservoir strut, the stock one with the LED recess, you can see the strip is too wide to fit INTO it, but it sits directly on TOP of it. Not sure if that will fit the tube or not:

I guess we'll find out once I drain this thing to replace the red coolant, assuming Canada Post finds my package, or Daz fills in the order I placed on Sunday night. More to come!

Comment

Late Night "I couldn't leave it alone" Update!!!

I decided to give that reservoir light a go, and things did NOT go well. There's a milled slot behind one of the struts in the HeatKiller reservoir that perfectly holds a thin LED strip, but this one from the Barrow RAM block was too wide to fit into the groove in the strut. I tried to sandwich it in there anyway, and as I was tightening the reservoir back up, it didn't feel right. Then I heard a horrible crunching noise:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Good news: after I brushed off the "crushed" pieces, I think it's still usable. I flipped it around so that broken piece was up top, and toward the 240 rad it's mounted on so you can't see it. After that little heartbreaker, I decided to glue the LED strip onto the OUTSIDE of the strut this time:

Even though I can't take a picture that properly illustrates what this looks like in real life, I now have a very nice subtle red back-light. It worked out great!

Camera auto settings make it look like lava:

OnePlus 6T phone camera makes it looks much more drowned out in red light. Does NOT look like this IRL:

A few more unrealistic OnePlus 6T phone pics:

I'm off to bed now. Night all!

Comment

Big Rig is done! I checked the mail when I got home from work today, and my Daz order was there, with an apology from the postman written on it. I'll let the pics do the talking!

Coolant is *slightly* orange, as you can see here:

I could add more dye, but once it lights up it looks great:

That LED strip placement on the reservoir turned out PERFECT. You can't see the LEDs from any angle, and you get a nice back light that doesn't over-do the res with too much light. I wish I could take proper pics of what this looks like in person:

Big girls need love too! Now you can see why it's called Big Rig:

Now I'm going to actually USE this thing for a bit instead of building it! More will need to be done eventually (fixed / better light panel / floor solution, the CPU block needs to be lit up somehow, etc. But that can wait, it's play time!

Final specs list:

Ryzen 9 3900x / Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard
                2 x 8GB G.Skill 3600CL15 RAM
                Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition x 2
                EVGA G3 1000W PSU
                Case Labs M8 case with pedestal

Water Cooling:
                Watercool HeatKiller IV CPU block
                Watercool HeatKiller IV GPU blocks, custom back plates / SLI cover
                Barrow RGB RAM block
                Watercool 200mm reservoir
                Dual D5 vario pumps in EK Revo pump top
                Alphacool Monsta 360 radiator x 2 in pedestal (PWM Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM fans in push x 6)
                XSPC EX360 radiator in PSU compartment (3-pin Gentle Typhoon 2100RPM fans in push x 3)
                Darkside LP360 radiator over motherboard (3-pin Fractal Design Prisma AL12 RGB fans in push x 3)
                Darskide LP240 radiator in front (3-pin Gentle Typhoon 2100RPM fans in push x 2)

Comment

Sunbeam fan comtroller! How old is that thing? 10+
                  Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                  Venom Build: Build Log,
                  Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                  Orange Build: Final Video
                  HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

" you get a nice big burp of liquid when the pumps quit" I know that bad..., but you made me laugh hard.

Sorry for the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                      Sunbeam fan comtroller! How old is that thing? 10+
                      Probably, got it second hand from Hooded for $20, still going strong!

As for the loss, the cracked Heatkiller tube isn't actually leaking (thank god). It shattered the inside layer, not the outside, and due to the gargantuan O-ring, it somehow survived. I just put the cracked part up top.

Comment

Looks great Bart
                        Such a beast of a build

crappy about the rez but great job on the triple bend

I've been benching on my aorus master do you find reboots take a painful amount of time?

Comment

Oh nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
                            Looks great Bart
                            Such a beast of a build

crappy about the rez but great job on the triple bend

I've been benching on my aorus master do you find reboots take a painful amount of time?
                            Thanks FF! Reboots do seem a little 'funky' compared to my previous Asus boards, but not overly lengthy. Although it seems like when I boot up sometimes, it almost boots up twice. Like it crashes while the BIOS is first starting, not sure if that's some funky memory training or something, but when I end up in Windows my ram seems to be at XMP. With previous BIOS versions, I have seen those memory settings somehow revert to stock, not sure how. Then one reboot later I'm back at 3600mhz, weird.

Be sure to flash the latest F5I BIOS, I've seen improvements in performance (particularly single core boost), and the voltage spikes are much better. I'm using the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and the latest chipset drives direct from AMD.

Drunknfoo: thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                              As for the loss, the cracked Heatkiller tube isn't actually leaking (thank god). It shattered the inside layer, not the outside, and due to the gargantuan O-ring, it somehow survived. I just put the cracked part up top.
                              It is posible to get replacement glass in cas eof any problems.

__________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                                It is posible to get replacement glass in cas eof any problems.
                                Oh I almost added a 200ml glass replacement to my recent order, but once I cleaned it up, it was obvious that leaks won't be a problem. Thank god for THICK borosilicate glass!

Comment

Working...
                                X