"Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in..."

Case Labs that is. After having my gaming rig in a Lian Li Dynamic O11 XL, a case I initially loved so much I bought two, I came to a realization: it's a hot box, no matter how you slice it. Even with triple 360s covered in good fans, the air flow isn't the greatest. Especially for a 6900XT GPU running at around 2700mhz. So once again, for the upteenth time, I will move my primary rig back into ye olde beast, the Case Labs Magnum M8, with pedestal courtesy of supermodder Snef. My pedestal was in Snef's O.G. Xtreme Red Demon build way back when, so it has history, and scars.

The obligatory base system specs for the curious:
    Ryzen 5950X CPU / Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard / TechN CPU block
    64GB RAM (16GB x 4 G.Skill Royal Pimp Arse Crystal Shit, 3600mhz 16-16-16-36)
    Asus TUF Gaming OC 6900XT GPU / Alphacool GPU block with dead LEDs
    1000W EVGA Gold PSU
    1TB Corsair MP600 NVME SSD / 2TB Corsair MP600 NVME SSD / 1TB Intel 600p NVME SSD

This is what the rig used to look like before the GPU LED strip decided to poop the bed and DIE:

Once more into the breach dear friends...

Why oh why did I ever put a drain in the FRONT of the case, where I can't reach it?!?!?! DOH, will be fixed!

It may not look like it, but this is actually cable managed to some degree, and used to be far worse, LOL!

Here's a pic demonstrating that even "German engineering" is sometimes stupid over-rated marketing B.S. Just look how close the ports on this Aquacomputer inline debris filter are. It's retarded, you can't even put caps on the fittings, and those are 3/8 5/8 fittings too, not exactly jumbo size, LOL!

After mild pontification, a loop route / flow meter location was chosen, and many 90 degree fittings were wasted:

Gave my PC a snorkel, to help with filling / bleeding the Singularity Computers Resonance dual D5 distro plate thingy:

My new favorite AM4 CPU block, TechN:

Temps and flow rate are as expected, awesome:

I have awful luck with LED strips. I've replaced the Singularity one already, and the replacement broke, because it's a shit design. Oh well, such is life!

GPU block isn't lit up either, because LED strip decided to go spastic and start flickering:

Big boy is done, temps are VASTLY improved, now my coolant hasn't seen 28C even after hours of stress testing in 3dmark.

Final cooling config:

2 x Alphacool Monsta 360 rads in the pedestal / 6 Darkside PWM 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons
    2 x Darkside LP360s in the top mounts ( 3 x Fractal Design Prisma AL120s / 3 x Darkside Gentle Typhoons 2150RPM 3-pin)
    1 x Darkside LP240 in the front (2 x Darkside Gentle Typhoons 2150RPM 3-pin)
    Dual D5 vario pumps set to full speed in Singularity Computers Resonance dual-D5 distro plate
    16mm acrylic tube / EK 16mm fittings / hordles of 90s
    Aquacomputer flow meter / temp sensor / coolant critic

Awesome build Bart! Impressive temps, as those 5950's run hot! I'm having a hard time keeping my temps in check these days with a 5800X and RTX 3900 in the same loop with two 360 rads.

Can that flow meter/temp sensor combo unit be bought through Daz? I've been looking for one like that.

-Mack

Comment

Originally posted by MackTheKnight View Post
      Awesome build Bart! Impressive temps, as those 5950's run hot! I'm having a hard time keeping my temps in check these days with a 5800X and RTX 3900 in the same loop with two 360 rads.

Can that flow meter/temp sensor combo unit be bought through Daz? I've been looking for one like that.

-Mack
      Thanks Mack! For some reason those little puppies are very hard to get hold of, I got mine from Daz the minute they hit the store. Just happened to be putting an order together and that popped up, so I got lucky.

Temps are not so good in that Lian Li case, as much as I like it. I think it's almost TOO damned space-efficient. There isn't a case on that market that size that can house triple 360s, but the trade off to that is because everything is closer together, it doesn't breathe well enough IMHO. All your heat *generating* components are closer to your heat *dissipating* components. Plus I think tempered glass retains heat SIGNIFICANTLY more than acrylic. I think when T.G. gets warm, it's holds heat longer than acrylic, and this case has two thick pieces of it. Add that all up, and you have a warm case. Maybe if you get the riser kit and put the GPU vertical, you could improve the airflow, not sure. But in this case, there's no replacement for rads, and more room for the GPU to breathe.

Comment

Great build. I also come to conclusion that I wont be building in Lian-Li case and prepping my S8 minus pedestal.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Another fine build Bart. Glad to se that you put the Caselabs back to work. Did you end up using the Aquacomputer filter? As the proud owner of one of those things I can say that it’s like they went out of their way to make it stupid.
          The SLOB : A 3570K Build
          Down & Out : A 2600K Build
          V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Originally posted by wattermain View Post
            Another fine build Bart. Glad to se that you put the Caselabs back to work. Did you end up using the Aquacomputer filter? As the proud owner of one of those things I can say that it’s like they went out of their way to make it stupid.
            I used it via QDCs, and ran it while I filled / bled the loop, but removed it afterwards. It IS utterly stupid, LOL!

Daz: thanks buddy. I have nothing against Lian-Li cases, but the XL was just smothering my GPU. AMD GPUs tend to toss off a lot more overall heat than Nvidia cards I find, so airflow is a concern, as well as just having room to breathe. That 6900XT is a heater!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post

Thanks Mack! For some reason those little puppies are very hard to get hold of, I got mine from Daz the minute they hit the store. Just happened to be putting an order together and that popped up, so I got lucky.

Temps are not so good in that Lian Li case, as much as I like it. I think it's almost TOO damned space-efficient. There isn't a case on that market that size that can house triple 360s, but the trade off to that is because everything is closer together, it doesn't breathe well enough IMHO. All your heat *generating* components are closer to your heat *dissipating* components. Plus I think tempered glass retains heat SIGNIFICANTLY more than acrylic. I think when T.G. gets warm, it's holds heat longer than acrylic, and this case has two thick pieces of it. Add that all up, and you have a warm case. Maybe if you get the riser kit and put the GPU vertical, you could improve the airflow, not sure. But in this case, there's no replacement for rads, and more room for the GPU to breathe.
              Yea, I hear that Bart! It makes sense that TG is a better insulator than acrylic, but I'd never thought of that being an issue until now. Great callout.

I'm having some serious airflow and temp issues with my EVGA DG87.

My Intel build was fine in it, but the Ryzen 5800X and RTX 3900 generate a ton more heat. I'm seriously considering a new tower. Maybe a TM T900, as it supports 2 X 560 rads and they are in their own little dedicated chamber without the TG getting in the way of intake or exhaust. Then I'd have plenty of space to setup two separate loops for cpu/gpu as well. Might be a winter project.

I'd love a caselabs like yours, but sadly no longer an option!

Love your build & case!

Cheers,
              Mack
              Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-07-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Good choice to go back with the CaseLabs man. I keep saying the 011 is a windowed mini oven and people get so mad at me every times lol. Can't go wrong with this one. Well done!

Comment

Mack: that flow meter is back in stock, Daz has 8 of them. Well 7 if I get another one, LOL! Hurry!

Danny: thanks bud, you are not wrong, I have TWO XLs, they are total hot boxes unless your fans are always cranked. Oven is right, just fire up a water cooled rig and let it idle, doing nothing, and watch the liquid temps climb to 30C + in no time. In the M8, liquid temp is now ambient temp. :-) My 6900XT is loving life right now, it actually runs a bit faster in the new case, even if I change nothing.

Comment

Mack: that flow meter is back in stock, Daz has 8 of them. Well 7 if I get another one, LOL! Hurry!
                    Thanks! Ordered!
                    Last edited by MackTheKnight; 07-07-2021, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Danny: thanks bud, you are not wrong, I have TWO XLs, they are total hot boxes unless your fans are always cranked. Oven is right, just fire up a water cooled rig and let it idle, doing nothing, and watch the liquid temps climb to 30C + in no time. In the M8, liquid temp is now ambient temp. :-) My 6900XT is loving life right now, it actually runs a bit faster in the new case, even if I change nothing.
                      Yeah, I had similar results in my clients build but he didn't want to listen to me. Said it's the best case because everyone is buying it.. it's literally just a hype. You know how it is, someone's says something is good, then some people who have no idea if it's true at all spread the word just because they read it somewhere and it gets right where it is right now lol. Anyways, I wish I had the budget for a TH10 or SMA8 lol. But I can't complain with the MF700. Open air cases are hard to beat. Soon will be a quad radiator build. Just one XE to go.

Have you compared temps between full speed and let's say, 50% and 75% workload? For me it happened the best results were at 65% on the cpu loop and 50% on the gpu since it's real short and like almost no restriction.

Will you be making any other modifications to that one here?

Comment

I never mess with pump speed, I just leave em both on full blast. There's no benefit to dialing the speed down IMO. In this loop pump speed doesn't matter much considering the massive radiator space. Right now the liquid temps are barely above ambient, and even after looping every stress test in 3dmark for 2-3 hours, the coolant topped out at 27.1C max, in a 22-23C room. I can't expect much better performance than that. Max temp on my 6900XT was 41C / max hot spot was 64C, and that's with the core clock set to 2750mhz max, memory maxxed at 2150mhz with fast timings. I'm using MPT to bump the stock power limit from 272W t o 375W, + 15% in the AMD driver, so the card can pull around 430W, although it never does. My cooling is pretty much as good as I can hope for.

Comment

Welcome back your caselabs. I ain’t only person who went back. Though v3000+ has me on decision process.

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                            Great build. I also come to conclusion that I wont be building in Lian-Li case and prepping my S8 minus pedestal.
                            Its one potent case. One of my finest builds to date. Though ain’t finished. Planning to change to all optimus so optimus glass reservoir, extension fittings and rotary fittings.
                            Last edited by section31; 07-08-2021, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MackTheKnight View Post

Yea, I hear that Bart! It makes sense that TG is a better insulator than acrylic, but I'd never thought of that being an issue until now. Great callout.

I'm having some serious airflow and temp issues with my EVGA DG87.

My Intel build was fine in it, but the Ryzen 5800X and RTX 3900 generate a ton more heat. I'm seriously considering a new tower. Maybe a TM T900, as it supports 2 X 560 rads and they are in their own little dedicated chamber without the TG getting in the way of intake or exhaust. Then I'd have plenty of space to setup two separate loops for cpu/gpu as well. Might be a winter project.

I'd love a caselabs like yours, but sadly no longer an option!

Love your build & case!

Cheers,
                              Mack
                              I am finding same issues with amd. Not satisfied and am thinking about going intel alderlake. Its an free upgrade since i got equivalent of around 2.5k cad from hk government handouts to spend in hk.

Hardware swap pretty easy for me myself with my modular setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X