THIS, THAT, and THE OTHER LIAN-LI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS, THAT, and THE OTHER LIAN-LI

THIS is a PC-Q25. Like in most small Lian-li cases the PSU is mounted directly in front of the motherboard. This makes it very difficult to work on it. Some of the components in these builds may look familiar. The Slob underwent a controlled demolition after I just couldn't pick it up anymore.

This machine is going to be a headless music server, but even so it shouldn't look like this when the side panel is removed.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Picked up an HDPlex 200W PSU. Leaves a lot more room for the important stuff

​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

The AC-DC converter just managed to fit under the radiator and the DC-ATX converter plugs right into the motherboard.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​

It's pretty tough to score a 2x ram block so I used a universal motherboard block. Could have been a couple of millimeters wider

​​​​​​​​​​​

The plan was to just have an NVMe drive but I guess Sandybridge is getting a little old and won’t boot from it .Ended up installing Daphile OS on 80G Intel ssd and using NVMe for storage

​​​​​

​​​​​

The tiny EK pump in there is perfect for serving music. Barely audible

​​​​​

​​
    ​​​
    Going to post this now before I lose it again.

​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Last edited by wattermain; 08-16-2021, 01:17 AM.
    The SLOB : A 3570K Build
    Down & Out : A 2600K Build
    V-353 : A 4770K Build

Those SFF builds are a real nightmare to work in. These look pretty good.

Comment

THAT is a PC-Q08.

Took the mid plate from The Slob over to Metal Supermarket in Stoney Creek and they cut the motherboard back plate out of it. Good bunch of guys over there.

​​

​​

So what reservoir do you get for a ten year old case, a ten year old reservoir. This thing is a work of art.

​​

Using two 10W pumps in it and each one runs off it's own fan header on the Aquero.

​​

​​

Picked up a 400W HD-Plex for this machine. Squeezed it in just above the two 80mm rads.

​​

Managed to get the AC-DC converter attached to the ATX bracket that they sell

​​

​​

Had the same deal with the NVMe in this machine. No boot

Still trying to get the air out of the NVMe loop

Last edited by wattermain; 08-21-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks Danny, they can be a challenge for sure

Comment

THE OTHER... is my PC-v353. I was doing some maintenance on it and I noticed that it didn't have a ram block on it. What the. So just a few pics of that install. Same old machine for quite a while now. Did install a couple of tees in the line for filling and draining

​​​​​​​Think I'm good for a couple more years

Comment

Nice rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
              Those SFF builds are a real nightmare to work in. These look pretty good.
              You should look at this build. https://www.reddit.com/r/watercoolin...tm_name=iossmf

This guy external rad is an amazing job. Some of my old spare parts are in that guy rig. Also one of few people that listened to me and organized the watercool groupbuy out east (it might lead to more groupbuy in future).

Comment

Thanks section31 That is a great looking build for sure. I think the only way I would do another build is if I found an old Liam-li cube that was in decent shape. At least their cubes can hold a microATX

Comment

Very nice work, those PSUs are a game changer for creating some room to work and improve aesthetics. I've never worked in a case as small as these, it looks challenging but you certainly managed feature rich loops considering the space available.

Does RAM cooling make much difference here, or is it just because you can, and it looks cool?

Digging the dual fill ports above those pumps.

Comment

Thanks Grinder, I agree, those PSUs make a big difference in these cases. I don't think ram cooling does much of anything. Just like the NVMe coolers . More for show. Had a chipset cooler ready to go for the little Gigabyte board but there was just not enough room to use the mounting hardware and my tubes of thermal epoxy had dried out. Maybe when it needs maintenance I'll get some new epoxy and give it another shot. I always thought that if they make a block for it, then go for it.

Comment

I have an old Alienware X51 that I use for streaming and browsing, it might be fun to attempt a build in that one of these years. If so, I will see if I can incorporate one of these PSUs.

Years ago I had a bad experience with thermal epoxy. I tested it and it stuck but seemed removable, so I use some to affix ram sinks to a Radeon X800 GTO2. After a year or two I decided to revert it from water to air and ended up prying the RAM right off the card with the heatsinks

Anyway, I think you win the trifecta here for 3 nice little systems in one thread

Comment

Thanks Grinder. That Alienware build would be an interesting one to follow . Hope you decide to do it one day. Funny enough I tore the chips right off the Corsair ram that was in the Q25 when removing the heat spreaders to change them to the EKs. It looked like they used extreme duty hot glue to hold them on. Bought some G Skill and the spreaders just fell off.

Comment

It will be a while before I have a chance to tackle the X51, I'll let you know if I do. Meanwhile if you'd like to follow one of my builds, check out CAMC 2021. I'm itching to get back at that one whenI get home!

Comment

I meant to ask, in THAT, how do you like the aquero? I think I spy a high flow meter in there as well. I have one and a t-balancer sitting around. You have inspired me to put them to use again.

Comment

Hey Grinder, I like the Aquero a lot. Removed the screen from a 6 pro. Does way more than what I need but you can’t beat the control it gives you. IMO. Was thinking about a high flow in both loops just for the look but the new ones look different. Wouldn’t really be accurate with a 90 screwed into each side. Not that I’m worried about accuracy. Maybe at rebuild time. Good luck in the CAMC. Going to be a good year.

Comment

Working...
                              X