Twin Shift T.A.R.D.I.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Shift T.A.R.D.I.S.

Well I guess we had some changes in the competition, so I figured I'd enter what I had done this year!

In spite of 2020 being an absolute disaster for basically everyone, I managed to get a mod together just beore covid shut everything down.

I conceptualized this project in 2018 as a potential candidate for my entry, but at the time didn't have my cnc machine until after the 2018 comp ended. Then I started this project shortly after the end of last years competition.

BEHOLD! Twin Shift T.A.R.D.I.S!

A merging of 2 phanteks evolv shift x towers into one!

Components:

Motherboard: Asus strix z370-i
    Cpu: intel 8086k @5.0ghz all core
    Ram: thermaltake water ram 16gb 3200mhz 2x8gb sticks
    Gpu: nvidia titan xp star wars galactic empire edition
    psu: corsair sf750
    case: Phanteks evolv shift x (×2)

Cooling components:
    reservoir: Heatkiller tube 200 w/d5
    Cpu block: heatkiller IV copper nickel
    Gpu block: heatkiller IV copper nickel
    Radiators: Ek Coolstream SE 280mm ×2
    Fittings: Nanoxia USA 12mm
    ram waterblock: TT water ram kit
    fluid: distilled water with violet EK cryofuel
    Tubing: Bitspower 12mm acrylic
    Fans: corsair ML140 white

Custom front panels made to resemble the Dr. WHO T.A.R.D.I.S. (time and relative dimension in space) Police Call box the bottom 2 panels on the one side were removed for airflow because it was overheating with all 8 installed.

Panel was removed from the case, stripped and milled out on my Shapeoko, used 6mm translucent white acrylic pocketed to be flush with the case front, and inlaid the pieces i removed from the panels, into the acrylic pieces.

more to come time permitting
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kaidis86; 11-07-2020, 11:41 PM.

Looking good.
    Good to see you back in the competition.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
      Looking good.
      Good to see you back in the competition.
      Thanks! Glad to be back, albeit given the climate of things out in the world, and some unfortunate and unforseen health concerns in house with myself, as well as my wife, I wasn't able to put every little touch into the build I wanted to, but I got the majority done. And since it was a gift for my wife anyway ill put all the little bits on it eventually, As time and ability permits!

I'll likely be undergoing a second surgery on my left hand in the next few months so everything is gonna end up slooooooowing down, production wise for me. Just gonna finish my current sponsored project for TT and then I've been planning some fun stuff with Rhoadspc who also entered the competition this year with his intense Old Man Logan mod!

Comment

A few more photos of the build process! Some case teardown and painting/assembly of one side
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice project. Lucky you got build done.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
            Nice project. Lucky you got build done.
            Thanks!

Makes it easy when I re used the components from another build, so I wasn't waiting on anything to arrive from order

Comment

My build is officially going to be 2021 build lol. The new restrictions did it in. New Parts are going to be tough to get. Fortunate i did manage to get ps5.

Only good thing is i will wait out for 6900xt/3080ti.

Comment

Had to power up my old phone to get some photos, I knew I was missing a few on this one!

Here are some stills from the milling portion making the inlaid front panel with translucent white acrylic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201130_025342.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	92517

Name:	20201130_025319.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	92518

Name:	20201130_025242.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	92519

Name:	20201130_025220.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	92520

Name:	20201130_025117.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	92521

Comment

I also thought I'd explain that the use of the coil tube bend i did wasn't just for the sake of doing a fun bend.

One of the things The 10th Dr. Says during his portion of the show, is

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff"

so the bend was a miniscule nod to the "wibbly wobbly" part of the Dr's explanation of time.

Comment

Great work as usual! Hope your hand surgery goes well (haven't had surgery, but did drop a BMW on my hands a few years ago and crushed a nerve in one of them, took a while to regain sensation).

I like the coil bend! Hope you can find an aesthetic workaround to the overheating issue.

Nice to see you back in the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                      Great work as usual! Hope your hand surgery goes well (haven't had surgery, but did drop a BMW on my hands a few years ago and crushed a nerve in one of them, took a while to regain sensation).

I like the coil bend! Hope you can find an aesthetic workaround to the overheating issue.

Nice to see you back in the competition.
                      Gracias amigo! Yea my initial hand injury was from a chainsaw lol, first surgery in my opinion was effectively a failure cause my hand has deteriorated substantially over the past 12 months to the point where its basically a brick on the end of my arm if a brick could feel pain lol.

The sutures from the initial surgery migrated to the surface and have begun to poke their way up and are protruding on my knuckle. So my body in an attempt to wall off the foreign material in my hand from the rest of my body produced whst is called a "suture granuloma" normally it would resolve itself but the migration keeps going and poking further and further out as time goes by. Resulting in som pretty intense and increasingly odd feelings and sensations. Like the feeling of having water on my hand when its bone dry, or random burning/freezing sensations etc.

As for the overheating and aesthetic issue, I think I might explore remaking the inlaid bits when I have time so they are slotted for airflow. Cause literally as soon as the front panel goes on with all 4 full slots the fan speed increases by roughly 45% to compensate(poorly). Its unacceptable lol it won't be doable before the new year cause I've got some paying customers work to get to before I can take time for myself to do it but eventually ill do it. Or just make a whole new T.A.R.D.I.S. themed rig and scrap these. (I cant give the evolv shift x a good review as a usable case for air cooling or water cooling without substantial modification)

Comment

Mine was nerve damage from the crush and also blood flow being cut off for a fair bit, I couldn't turn on a rotary light switch or operate the ignition in the car. Took 6 months to regain 95+ percent. I asked the Dr if playing computer games would be good therapy and he said yes. I got a lot of mileage out of that one with the wife "honey, Dr says I have to play!" Hope they sort you out soon. Puppy had a granuloma when we had her spayed last year, but it resolved on it's own.

Slotting sounds like a good fix, if not honeycomb mesh (might be less distracting to the eye, depending on the hole spacing?).

You might also consider offsetting it a bit more if you can, that way you wouldn't have to alter the panel itself. I did that with the front tempered glass panel on my EVGA DG-77.

Comment

Hmmm, I think I'd be tempted to see what air filter material would look like there. Kill two birds with one stone. Something like this stuff

Comment

I had considered at first pushing the panel forward and added risers to the locking brackets for them but it looked incredibly odd even pushed out about 15mm, and I was finding it difficult to find a working aesthetic choice for the extra open space on the side between the glass side and the front panel edge.

It also made it difficult to find working fasteners that would be long enough to then secure the extended panel to the brackets rather than just resting in the slots that i could then turn without a tool. The top is a tight space for any kind of screwdrivers. It would be a pain in the ass using locking pliers and a screwdriver insert to take it off to clean periodically.

Comment

Working...
                            X