TFC Admiral radiator leak fix - end cap replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFC Admiral radiator leak fix - end cap replacement

I seriously doubt this will help anyone, but I thought I'd toss it up anyway, and I needed an excuse to test the new battery charger for my camera. As you guys know, Daz informed us about a possible leak issue with TFC radiators. Turns out I was one of the affected customers. I had been seeing my water level drop off slowly over the past few months, but since I'm a noob I wasn't worried, figuring maybe some coolant loss was normal. Duh, how wrong I was! After inspecting the rad closely, the leak was obvious, but thankfully very small.

Clue #1: white stains on top of my new 3TB HDD.

Clue #2: coolant drop (upper left corner).

So I notified Daz, who responded quickly (as usual), and got the replacement end tanks in very short order. But I was dreading having to drain my loop, since it's pretty complex. So I decided to try getting the rad out without draining the entire loop. As it turns out, it was much easier than I expected, mainly thanks to the 2 sets of QDCs I use to connect my loop to the rads in my pedestal.

This rad is important, as it helps to cover up some of this awful mess. Rad removed and holes plugged:

Rad prepped for surgery, with the new end tanks:

A decent amount of screws need to be removed:

The screws screw into these hex-headed screw receptacle thingies, which I now hate:

Off comes its leaking head. You can see the cause of the leak on the bottom row of chambers, last one on the right is cracked:

A glimpse of the guts:

Broken piece on top, replacement piece on bottom:

10 screws later, new top is on and we're leak testing:

Initial leak test (around 1.5 hours) was good, so put her all back together (damn this is a nice looking rad):

Put it back into it's rats nest:

HDD cage re-installed:

Initial flow test looks sub-par compared to normal, but that always start off slow when you're paritally refilling a loop:

After a little while, the flow rises:

It lives:

Water temps look normal (ie damn good):

CPU temp looks good (gotta love Indigo Xtreme TIM, it really cuts down on the variance between cores):

GPU temps look good:

All in all a very easy fix, even for the mentally challenged (ie me). I should mention that I only had leakage on ONE side of the rad, but Daz sent me replacement end tanks for BOTH ends. I only replaced the leaking one (if it ain't broke...)! Thanks to Daz for informing us about the fix, and the quick replacement parts!

Great job Bart, that red sure does look nice !
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Good job!
      Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Comment

Scary shit and lucky for you. I was always weary of that rad. Never heard much good about it.

Comment

always good to see your work Bart,
          glad to see her back up and running.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Thanks guys.

xman: me neither, but it's just so pretty. It was an impulse buy. One good thing I will say about it: it doesn't get stuffed with dust like a traditional rad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
              One good thing I will say about it: it doesn't get stuffed with dust like a traditional rad.
              I noticed that too! Too bad whole thing get screwd up...
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I'm pulling mine apart. BNIB except for 30min DDC loop trial. didn't see any leaks, but ya'll got me paranoid and what not.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Talk about paranoid, I noticed my water level has dropped almost a full inch in my reservoir lately. But I can't find any sign of a leak anywhere!! I REALLY hope there's just a lot of air bubbles working themselves out of my loop!

Comment

It could be still bleeding, but keep your eyes open.
                    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                    Venom Build: Build Log,
                    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                    Orange Build: Final Video
                    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Working...
                    X