windows 10 eval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 10 eval

been playing with most of the morning, not bad really.
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

Originally posted by nass View Post
    been playing with most of the morning, not bad really.
    Looks like the snap-it-too feature works even better.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ng-windows-10/

Nass, did Windows automatically find all of your drivers or did the W8/8.1 drivers work ?

I'm surprised they're still offering a 32 but version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview-iso
    Last edited by Jeff R 1; 01-01-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

install 8.1 64 bit drivers for things that don't work, seems to work fine, My network driver wasn't installed automatically. Tethered my phone into it first to get the network driver idea, net was out right after got it installed lol, working now idea.
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

So far all my friends who installed that, de-installed with disgust.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
          So far all my friends who installed that, de-installed with disgust.
          What didn't they like about it ?
          From just what I saw so far is I don't think I would like the over-bloated start menu _ I wonder if one can disable the "App" "pain" (not a spelling mistake) attached to the start menu ?

Comment

Crashing, unstable and other usual Microsoft half-baked stuff.

Comment

Crashing, unstable and other usual Microsoft half-baked stuff.
              That'll happen in a Beta preview...
              Hopefully your friends will report this to Microsoft so when the actual product comes out, things will be fixed.
              Microsoft releases these free previews for that reason, so users will report problems and just not complain that it sucks or that it's broken.

Comment

Dont you think that its manufacturer responsibility to release fully functional product without piggyback on free testers?

Seems MS trained customers pretty well in that department. Can you imagine cars pre-release to see who would kill itself, so models can put in production?

Comment

Dont you think that its manufacturer responsibility to release fully functional product without piggyback on free testers?
                  No not at all, if I'd paid for it and it didn't work, then I'd be pissed. And we are talking about an operating system here, not a car. A greater responsibility is put upon the manufacturer when it comes to a car because you're dealing with life and death, but we're just talking about Windows 10 here.

Microsoft even warns people (a quote pulled from their sight) the statement below applies to the Enterprise version, but the same would go for the regular Beta of W10:

"Things to Know

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise is prerelease software that may be substantially modified before it's commercially released. It is designed for IT professionals interested in trying out the next version of Windows on behalf of their organizations. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here. Some product features and functionality may require additional hardware or software. We do not recommend that you install this preview if you are not an IT professional or not professionally managing corporate PCs or devices. We also do not recommend that you install this preview on your primary home or business PC.

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise should work with the same devices and programs that work with Windows 8.1. In some cases, a device or program might not work or may require an update, or you might need to uninstall some programs and then reinstall them after installing the preview.

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise is not supported on Windows RT devices.

For 64-bit installations of Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, a small number of older PCs will be blocked from installing the preview because they don't support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF.

To use touch, you need a tablet or monitor that supports multitouch.

To access the Windows Store, and to download and run apps, you need an active internet connection, a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768, and a Microsoft account.

Downloading Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise could take a few hours. The exact time will depend on your provider, bandwidth, and traffic (ISP fees may apply). For technical questions, please visit the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise Forums."

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

Microsoft learned their lesson too here with Vista, Vista was kept so secret that when it was released, there were no drivers for it _ nothing worked, plus the fact that it was over-bloated in the security department. It was cumbersome as hell...

So now Microsoft offers free Bata versions for public testing as well as hardware manufacturers so they can develop drivers so when it is finally released _ it works properly.

I've wiped a drive so I can try it on this HP HDX 18. Chances are the driver(s) for the hot key bezel won't work.
                  Last edited by Jeff R 1; 01-01-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Seems MS trained customers pretty well in that department. Can you imagine cars pre-release to see who would kill itself, so models can put in production?

That is not a very good analogy. Win10 is a beta release, and distributed as such. It has known issues and bugs. You download and and install it with this in mind. Although I have in the past with other beta versions, I wont waste my time with this beta. There are numerous people out there that will run the beta knowing it can crash at any given moment. This is R&D. And yes, there are beta test drivers for cars. Competent drivers that know and understand the risks.

Unfortunately with that said, and as with Millennium, Vista and Win8x, the final product was a complete disaster. So much so, that I as well as countless others reverted to WinXP until the release of Win7. I will stick with Win7 until either it reaches end-of-life, or until there is a better alternative. Not much hope in Win10 if it is a bloated Win8x install. MS will release it anyways if history prevails.

QUOTE=Jeff R 1;31670]No not at all, if I'd paid for it and it didn't work, then I'd be pissed. And we are talking about an operating system here, not a car. A greater responsibility is put upon the manufacturer when it comes to a car because you're dealing with life and death, but we're just talking about Windows 10 here.

Microsoft learned their lesson too here with Vista, Vista was kept so secret that when it was released, there were no drivers for it _ nothing worked, plus the fact that it was over-bloated in the security department. It was cumbersome as hell...

So now Microsoft offers free Bata versions for public testing as well as hardware manufacturers so they can develop drivers so when it is finally released _ it works properly.

I've wiped a drive so I can try it on this HP HDX 18. Chances are the driver(s) for the hot key bezel won't work.[/QUOTE]

There were beta versions of WinXP offed prior to WinVista. I was running it well before the release of final version. And continued running it for some time after the consumer release with only Win updates.
                    Last edited by xmanrigger; 01-01-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Windows Vista ends in 2017 _ Aw... Too bad !
                      W7, Jan, 2020...

Comment

We'll see. I don't want it to look like Win 8 at all.
                        If it can retain the win 7 look and function better , okay. If not , ill pass this one again.
                        Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                        Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

It's allot like 8.1, but with out that annoying Apps page, but it's not like W7 at all.
                          The Snap-It-Too has been expanded nicely.

Comment

IMHO you guys are taking things too seriously, this is a pre-release with know issues with drivers, programs and whatever else. But also is a way to have a say in what the finished product may be like.
                            Best thing to do is install and complain about what doesn't work in your case idea. Id say the majority of us here are all into the newest fastest things or am I missing something?
                            I understand that important programs needed for work that don't work with newer os's can make a person keep older os's, after that don't see any reason though... Change is good, am bored already... Were's the icon with ostrich's head in the sand ?

Last edited by nass; 01-01-2015, 11:53 PM.
                            Blackout
                            Something-New
                            Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Not always. I always say why tinker with something that works just fine? Windows 7 works for me (among other OS that i use on a daily basis) I hated my experiences with Win 8.

I haven't tried 8.1.
                              So my view of 10 is i'll try it and if i don't like it i'll stay with 7. It's as simple as that. hehe.
                              Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                              Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Working...
                              X