Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayhems Craptel

Play on words gents.

I believe Brechan a long while ago had warned us about mayhems coolants.

I had an 'oil change' to do on a client build that is less than 6 months old.

I used Mayhems orange pastel. Needless to say i will not be putting that junk back in any loop.

Tube is clouded , there's a thick coat of dye and other crap on the radiator.

Here are some images of the CPU block and reservoir. I am (have been all day...) in the process of cleaning it up for him.

Anyway...This is just my personal opinion , but i certainly will not be going with his coolants or dyes anymore.

Before anyone asks , i have followed all the directions to mix correctly.

What a friggin disaster.

Attached Files
    Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
    Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

You are scaring me. I didn't have the time to clean my loop during the Christmas break.
    Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Comment

Haha. Don't worry about it easynator. I guess i'm just ranting/venting. 3rd time i've had issues with mayhems stuff. Lesson learned , won't be using it anymore.
      Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
      Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

This is exactly why I went with distilled water and colored tube. Changing tube is a lot safer, and cheaper, than risking colored coolant. Some guys make it look so tempting though (like Snef).

Comment

Maybe snef can chime in here. He appears to use it lots.

Comment

Ummm, ya. I believe I had mentioned this some time ago. Only to be blown off by the uninformed.

That is very unfortunate. What a disaster. Looks like you are going to get more practice bending tubing replacing tubing if stained. If that is a client build, I would be replacing all tubing and flushing the living shit out of the entire loop. Was the dye mixed with tap water or distilled, and did you use any antimicrobial?

Using funky coolants and dyes, you are only looking for trouble. If you want colour, use coloured tubing. Cant go wrong with distilled water and a couple drops of bug dope/silver coil. Coloured coolants looks sweet, but can end with heavy cost.

I have several water cooled systems at home, all using distilled water, a couple drops of bug dope, and a silver coil. None have been flushed for over 8 months and water is crystal clear. Even when doing sub-zero cooling for benchmarking, when done, I immediately flush system after PC has sat and stabilized at ambient room temp.

EDIT: Just looked at your pics again. Looks like you used flex tubing. I thought is was hard tubing at first. Not as big of a chore replacing the tubing as I thought. So ya, throw that shit in the garbage and use brand new tubing.
            Last edited by xmanrigger; 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

been using the iced dragon for awhile now in coloured and clear tubing and hard tubing, no problems so far, haven't tried mayhems
              Blackout
              Something-New
              Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Distilled water and Mayhems only. No kill coil.

Comment

Originally posted by xmanrigger View Post
                  Ummm, ya. I believe I had mentioned this some time ago. Only to be blown off by the uninformed.

That is very unfortunate. What a disaster. Looks like you are going to get more practice bending tubing replacing tubing if stained. If that is a client build, I would be replacing all tubing and flushing the living shit out of the entire loop. Was the dye mixed with tap water or distilled, and did you use any antimicrobial?

Using funky coolants and dyes, you are only looking for trouble. If you want colour, use coloured tubing. Cant go wrong with distilled water and a couple drops of bug dope/silver coil. Coloured coolants looks sweet, but can end with heavy cost.

I have several water cooled systems at home, all using distilled water, a couple drops of bug dope, and a silver coil. None have been flushed for over 8 months and water is crystal clear. Even when doing sub-zero cooling for benchmarking, when done, I immediately flush system after PC has sat and stabilized at ambient room temp.

EDIT: Just looked at your pics again. Looks like you used flex tubing. I thought is was hard tubing at first. Not as big of a chore replacing the tubing as I thought. So ya, throw that shit in the garbage and use brand new tubing.
                  Indeed , so glad it isn't hard tube. That is however the next step up , he wants hard tube and case swap and graphic card upgrade (which means new PSU too.)
                  Anyway , never using Mayhems again. :|

Comment

i used Mayhem pastel Bluberry in Icy Blue Angel for around or more than 18 month

i flush it in November and absolutly no stain or any issue, all block, hard tubing, pump top and reservoir was crystal clear
                    just clean it with fresh distilled water, no need to wipe anything, only water

but, the previous build, with Primochill ADVANCED LRT (plastazier free) and same Pastel Blueberry (re-used it in Icy Blue Angel)
                    clouding appears after a months or two, still no issue in all block or res
                    but the issue was tubing , not coolant, i changed to hard tubing for this reason

i used a lot of mayhem pastel in a lot of my build and never have any issue with mayhem pastel (only use pastel) , for sure with hard tubing

Comment

Very strange , perhaps client isnt telling the whole story.

Comment

Spoiler alert, snef is right. Gunking and stuff is caused by plasticizer issues with tubing and has nothing to do with coloured coolant/dyes regardless of brand.
                        This is what EK has to say about this kinda stuff.

Comment

agreed. just everybody use hard tubes.
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

I'll only be using my own Plasma in my loops from now on.

Comment

ooo! that will go good with my invisible tubing!
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X