Metro DataVac ED500 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro DataVac ED500 Review

Tired of buying those expensive Canned Air products, that seem to only give ya a few quick dustings and then turf 'em in the garbage? I recently purchased the DataVac ED500 Blower from CanadaComputers and after using it only a few times have found it to be a very useful tool. With an online price of $64.99 (plus $15.05 shipping to BC and HST of $9.60 for a grand total of $89.64 ) you can see that it wouldn't take long to pay for itself especially if your a dust freak like me. It is a little noisy but not anymore than a vacuum cleaner and with 5 minutes of use with the included attachment that narrows the airstream it will get hot, however I've found without the attachment it allows prolonged use. Computer cleaning is not the only use for this Blower as today I used it to dry out the sponge filter in the Electolux Vaccum I own and I'm sure you could find many more uses for it. Gotta tell ya, this thing gives off a very healthy stream of warm dry air so ya gotta be careful around loose or small parts. There's a replaceable filter in the bottom of the unit that I'm sure you could wash out a few times before having to fork out the $5.00 they charge for 3 replacement filters. The 12' power cord is also a nice feature. Check it out here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=039014
    I've included a few before and after pics of a Dell XPS 700/720 Hybrid that I cleaned.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	79235 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust 009.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	79236 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust 030.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	79237 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust 012.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	79238
    CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
    XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

HAHA! thank you Sir!

Take my Money!
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

Great stuff man my 6 air cans cost 20$ a pop. I'll give this a try for sure.
      Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
      Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

You could have saved shipping if you ordered from NCIX and had the one left drop shipped to the Aldergrove location. Would have been 62.99 plus tax and no shipping cost, just would have to pick it up yourself. Next time !
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Either way gdesmo, I'm not buyin' anymore cans...lol.
          CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
          XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

I agree it is an excellent product and the aerosol cans are such a waste as well as being expensive.
            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Cool. Cans smell bad when used indoors...
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I just got mine yesterday and this product is awesome More compact than the air compressor I bought at canadian tire. Blows out of those dust and those people who are still selling cans of compressed air for $10 heheh.
                "Casper B!"
                I7 3820 semi-k l Asus/Gigabyte R4E/X79-UP4 l 4x4gb Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133 l 2xGigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC l Asus Xonar DSX l Seasonic X1250 l XSPC D5/Daz D5 Vario l EX360 in p/p+2xCoolstream XTX 480 p/p/p l 2x560 AC Monsta p/p l 2xEK Uni-GPU Block Acetal l 2xBitfenix Recon 3D fan controller l Switch 810 matte black l
                50' Panasonic Viera Plasma ST50 l 7.1 Pioneer A/V Reciever l f@h 4 the future

Comment

I grabbed this badboy earlier this week. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...rchPageIndex=1

Comment

Originally posted by jrees View Post
                    I grabbed this badboy earlier this week. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...rchPageIndex=1
                    I'm going to pretend I didn't see this version so I don't have to drive down to cc to return my awesome duster Only $5 more and it can also act as a vacuum
                    "Casper B!"
                    I7 3820 semi-k l Asus/Gigabyte R4E/X79-UP4 l 4x4gb Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133 l 2xGigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC l Asus Xonar DSX l Seasonic X1250 l XSPC D5/Daz D5 Vario l EX360 in p/p+2xCoolstream XTX 480 p/p/p l 2x560 AC Monsta p/p l 2xEK Uni-GPU Block Acetal l 2xBitfenix Recon 3D fan controller l Switch 810 matte black l
                    50' Panasonic Viera Plasma ST50 l 7.1 Pioneer A/V Reciever l f@h 4 the future

Comment

We use these at work, they are great for clearing excessive dust build-up. They are quite powerful and noisy however, and as GEARjmr stated, can detach loosely fitted or standing objects like screws. The attachments can be handy, though I find myself only using one of them. Data Vac products have, in the past, run into some issues such as overheating and even possible electric shock. I hear most of these issues have been corrected in their later model revisions, though they all still run quite hot to the point where I only use them in bursts.

Bottom line: canned air = bad, these are a lesser evil that does the job. A very cheap alternative if you have a bit of patience and are looking to save more money (and get a bit of a workout) are hand blowers (example: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Squeeze-Du.../dp/B002Q68E3G). If you don't let a years worth of dust build up, the difference in constant air pressure should't pose any difficulties.

Comment

Welcome P1, Metrovac is a great product !

Comment

just bought me one of those today, does an excellent job and like previously said, at 8ish buck for a disposable can, will surely pay itself off quick enough. thanks for the review and tips that lead me to buy it
                          Orange GT Build
                          Orange V8 GT Build
                          Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Nice! wear your earplugs...
                            HAF932 Mods
                            C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                            X