8 120mm Fans tested on H80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 120mm Fans tested on H80

by far not an exhaustive list of fans... and the H80 rad is not a gold standard, but still an interesting read.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/c...h-corsairs-h80
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

And I thought you were doing the test,I trust members way before the biased industry testers. Oh well maybe next time. :party:
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I might be a bit biased against this test, but I picked up 30 Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120s for $150 (found a really good deal a few months back). I do not think that they do 69cfm, but how am I going to test that! Static pressure is exceptional, especially in push/pull with shrouds on the push side. If my case and liquid didn't weigh like 75kg, I swear it would lift off the ground. They do run whisper quiet, side by side far quieter than the TK-121s & 122s and Gelid PWM120s, and seem to push more air. As far as cooling, this test was wierd. I have far too many rads and heat sources and can't really say that a single 120 anything would do anything for a [email protected]@1.30V+6990+6970. Who would run a single 120 on that? Can a single 120 rad really cool anything other than VRM sinks?

If I had a seperate sound insulated-server farm cooled room, a massive power supply like 3200w, a stack of TK-123s and Monstas, a wall pass-thru for cables, a million dollars, a nanny (of course a hot one my wife liked), life would be super cool!!

I'm just havin' a few and that's just my two cents.:party:

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMom View Post
        I might be a bit biased against this test, but I picked up 30 Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120s for $150 (found a really good deal a few months back). I do not think that they do 69cfm, but how am I going to test that! Static pressure is exceptional, especially in push/pull with shrouds on the push side. If my case and liquid didn't weigh like 75kg, I swear it would lift off the ground. They do run whisper quiet, side by side far quieter than the TK-121s & 122s and Gelid PWM120s, and seem to push more air. As far as cooling, this test was wierd. I have far too many rads and heat sources and can't really say that a single 120 anything would do anything for a [email protected]@1.30V+6990+6970. Who would run a single 120 on that? Can a single 120 rad really cool anything other than VRM sinks?

If I had a seperate sound insulated-server farm cooled room, a massive power supply like 3200w, a stack of TK-123s and Monstas, a wall pass-thru for cables, a million dollars, a nanny (of course a hot one my wife liked), life would be super cool!!

I'm just havin' a few and that's just my two cents.:party:
        I`m partial to the CM R4`s myself, have 6 on my Monsta 420 in push-pull with shrouds and 3 in push on my TFC Xchanger 360. I find them Quiet and they flow an awful lot of air through the rads. Have one or two on me ! :party:
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

sorry Gdesmo. Just trying to stimulate debate!
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

I think I have to agree with MisterMom here; I much prefer an end user perform these test in a "real world" scenario; having dedicated GPU's, etc. as they all produce heat within your case, thus affecting the final temperature. While some will argue that only the CPU's heat is what matters, I think that the combined temps in the chassis should be included in any testing.

And; just for arguments sake, why did these (Canadian) boys pick a single-rad closed-loop system in the first place , and especially on an O/C 2700K...

just my 2 cents
            AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Comment

IMO, this smacks of Corsair sponsored donations. The new SPfans are gaining a lot of hype.

agreed... the H80 is not a worthwhile test rig.

If someone wants to ship me fans (cough sponsor me cough), I'll happily put together a test bed.
              Last edited by bungwirez; 08-26-2012, 05:56 AM.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                sorry Gdesmo. Just trying to stimulate debate!
                Don`t be sorry, I was agreeing with you totally. Did not think that was directed at me.

Comment

Reading over the test in detail and the testing method/results I want to ignore the whole thing strike it from my memory as incomplete. There are so many exclusions in that test, and the test approach itself I see as somewhat flawed at least from what I read.

It looks like he took all the dB reading from inside the case next to the fan, well notice how a lot of the quiet fans are getting dB readings much louder than what they are rated at? The meter would have been picking up reverb from the case and other components etc. Some of those fans were probably running closer to their rated noise but picked up so much background noise... so he is displaying his whole computer noise level, not the fan noise levels (to a certain extent).
                  Corsair 800D
                  2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
                  Software Developer

Comment

dB ratings are always suspect ... no body ever measures the noise levels inside some sort of acoustically null chamber.
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

Where's the Noctua or Noiseblocker fans? Using a fan controller, I'd like to see a test of fans performance at certain db level. I think overall corsairs new offering is average-a bit above average. (But boy can they sure throw the money around to get the hype up.)

Comment

Working...
                      X