Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermaltake Level 20 XT impressions

Hi everyone.
    I decided to make a better review of this case because i realised i've made alot of unfair comments about it before even fully testing it. I'll try to be as impartial as i can. I did make a build in it for testing purposes without any care of the aesthetic. And i wont lie. I was very very surprised and impressed by the performances results. I will add a couple pictures later to show how good it went.

At first, i really tought it was garbage and i really lost my temper because of it quite a few times. First thing that didnt satisfied me was the cable management. Lets be honnest, theres not many places to hide cables. But, with a good planning and a couple of cable tie mounts, you can actually do it just fine. It's just a bit more time consuming.

Also, i didnt like the airflow i was getting. But it was because i didnt installed enough fans in there. Yeah, one of the bad side is, it get very expenssive because you need alot of fans if you want to acheive good airflow. But once done, it's very good. 1st test, i had 19 fans with 3 rads and the airflow was, well, i was searching for it... all the heat was building up inside the case because there was not enough fan power. I then said it was crap. That was before. Then i decided, why not go full in and build a real test rig. I added more fans. Up To 27 total. Yup! Thats alot lol. But the results were... wow! Just wow. Actually went from no airflow at all to the best temperatures i have seen in many years of customizing. Pictures will show it later. So yeah, almost 2,000$ just for air lol... oh and i almost got blind because all those fans were rgb... To much RGB can be worse than not enough. Which was the case here untill i turned it off.

Next, the motherboard positioning. Unlike the mini-me version called Level 20VT, this one cant be turned on it's side to change the way to build inside and put the the mb on vertical. ( it's a really nice option for the small form factor 20VT). So you are stuck with the vertical motherboard here. But it doesnt mean it's a bad thing. Actually having it installed that way improves temps and helps on the flow of your liquid loop. Less restriction as the fluid combs inside the block. Not alot but it is still slightly better. Also, since no heating components are heating each other, your cpu and vrm suffer less. The heat of the m.2 nvme, the gpu and the pch wont reach the processor so it's a good gain.

One thing i didnt like tho, is the number of fans and accessories coming with that case. Like hmmm, almost nothing. One single 140mm fan in the back of the case and a couple extra screws.. I wish they had added at least the 200m fans at the front for the price. But nope. The 140mm fan isn't super good either. It was good airflow but sadly it is very loud. No big deal since you probably wont be using it anyways because it would not match the rest of your fans. I never saw those type of fans anyways.

Now we have the space in it. There is definatelly alot and alot of space in there for anything you want to do.
    We can easely install two pump in it along with up to 4-5 radiators at the same time. Lots of positioning options.

Second bad thing about it but not that bad, is how to position the radiator at the bottom. You can either install it horizontally or facing the side panel. If you make it face the tempered glass, toi wont like it. Yes it has a better look but you will get close to zéro fresh air. The only place for this setup to get air from is from the gap between the glass and the case. Sadly the gap is like 2mm thick so i can say you get no air from there. Basicaly, the only air it will get, is air from inside the case. No need to say you dont want this. Hot air to cool a radiator is not very effective lol... on the other side tho... if it's on the horizontal, thats where things go very well. 4 120mm fans getting air into the case really change everything. You can install up to a 480mm radiator at the bottom.

Last thing i want to talk about is the weight. Did i say it was heavy? Well, yes it is! Of course with the size it is, it will be heavy but having 4 tempered glass doesnt help. After installing all the hardwares and with the liquid in the loop, it gets really hard to move that thing alone. And thats without the glasses installed. Thanks to the fact that i had installed 3 EK Coolstream 360mm in there, i had to ask my wife to help me get this monster in my White room. Once the tempered glass were installed, i just forgot about moving it at all.

That conclude my review for the most part of it. I might add more if i think of anything else to mention.
    Or course, everyone is free to ask anything about it.
    Also, dont come telling me it has to much RGB on the pictures. I know it did but it was before i tweaked it in the OS. The pictures were taken before i even installed Windows. I turned everything off as soon as i could. Also, yes it is ugly. Like i said, i worked on performances and not the aesthetic for testing. This build doesnt even exist anymore. The case is back in it's box and is ready to be sold. If you are interested to know more about it, feel free to ask. I will put it on sale with other hardwares next week aproximativelly.

After all, this case ended up to be real good and if i didnt had the other case almost here, i would probably keep it and mod it myself. I hope someone will have a flash for it because it sure is a good case for the hardcore modders.

My experience with it was similar: Daunting at first but grew to love it.

I was also very drawn to the idea of the flat-mount position for the motherboard for the same reasons of how it'd let heat rise away from the components without passing over one another like a traditional position. Same for how this allowed the waterblocks' ports to naturally end up as the highest points on them which minimized the odds of air bubbles sticking around in it.

I opted to put the rads at the top blowing out and drawing air from within the case. I really like that setup still but one thing is as you mentioned the air paths being only possible through the gaps between the glass and the structure is insufficient. With that build I could knock a good 10c off of all component temps just by removing the top panel so that the rads had no restrictions blow air directly upward. I've already committed that when I rebuild it soon I will suck it up and replace the top panel with something of my own creation that will allow better air flow.

It was my first dip into a custom liquid loop and I really loved the challenge of learning all there is about this world and having such a huge case to try it out. I'm also really looking forward to rebuilding that case in the coming weeks using all the lessons learned from it and my latest one along with some newly learned stuff like using plexiglass to create new surfaces and stuff. For instance I'm going to wall in that area beneath the motherboard to hide the rat nest of cables that end up down there.

Comment

Ils exactly with i've done. PSU has it's own chamber along with all the extra cables. Also, i've made a panel for the top and the front to maximize airflow. Only used cardboard tho since it was just for testing and i'm not keeping the case. With the bottom fans on the horizontal, yup maybe 8-10°c better with that whole setup.
      Show us some pictures of your build once it is done. I'd like to see how you did with it. Not many pictures of build in that thing.

Comment

I'll post that one for sure man! This rebuild is going to be my wife's gaming PC and she's heavily leaning on a desert theme ancient Egypt look so that's going to be a real challenge I think if we stick to it. I keep trying to picture how to get a pyramid going on top of the case. Its already tall enough as it is but it would be a natural way to keep the space above the radiators open if I do it right.

Sadly my new favourite material to build stuff with, plexiglass, has become a hot commodity these days and I'd feel pretty guilty about ordering more of that. Maybe just stick to smaller pieces that wouldn't be useful to businesses setting up dividers at customer interaction points.

Comment

For the top i would go with plastic like pvc to get as minimum weight you can because it gets really heavy already. But it's just a suggestion, depending on what you exactly plan to do. Or course if you want make some kind of distro plate or the like, acrylic is pretty much the only option. And yes having the top half open really help get the hot air out. So i guess you could use that at your advantage. The egyptian theme is sure à great idea! Saw a couple of themes in the past and it always ended up looking amazing . Cant wait to see what you are going to show us!

Comment

Thé panel i made on top for testing was 2 or 3mm thick and it fits just perfect under the glass with its filter if it can help you.

Comment

I was thinking.. Did you know there is a case in a pyramid form? Dont remember the name and brand but last time i saw it, it was going for 600 to 800$. Could make things réal easier for the egyptian theme. It is really small tho.

Also, you know, nothing forces you to make a pyramid the size of the case. Why not use the extra space inside to build a smaller one there or a Sphinx. I mean, there is so many options with that theme and the pyramids arent the only amazing thing to see in Egypt!

Anyways, it's your project, not mine. But if i see things the same way you do, your gona come up with something really great! Be sure to start a post with your build in the right categories showing us the progress you make!

Comment

Funny story about the Pyramid case: That was my wife's first tangible encounter with targeted advertising. She was about to search newegg for something unrelated and google's search engine puts that front and center as something she might be interested in. Haha.

I agree its pretty small and I don't like the radiator options being at the bottom like they are with it, for that price no less. I think yes I'm going to order a sheet of thicker plexiglass to make a new top panel and kind of cut-out the portion where the radiators will exhaust, box that in to make the pyramid shape and go from there.

I'm also thinking about changing the setup so the radiators sit on top of those two mounting planels and sandwich it with the fans beneath, the problem is those plates have those weird flow ridges on the top so I'd have to cut them all off before that would work right. Tempting though and I do have time these days right. Haha yah happy to have a hobby like this to poke away at during these times.

Comment

Thing with the two mounting brackets on top is, they kinda clip into the case to stay in place with the weight of rads. Also they are not very sturdy compared to the rest of the case. Im affraid if you cut them, they will lose all their integrity and bend to easely. Cant confirm my thoughts tho.

I really hope everything will go the way you want.
                  Have fun modding the case. It sure have alot of potential

Comment

Its true you can see how those ridges are meant to add structural stability for such a long piece of metal, I can keep the outer ridges though and I think between the four thumb screws securing each mounting plate and each plate being sandwiched between the radiators and the fans with 12 screws a piece(2x360mms) it should be okay. I hope Still need to get up the nerve to do all that grinding though. I also realized I'm going to have to off-set the rads a little so that the liquid ports don't conflict with the cross beams of the mounting plates, small thing but not something I thought of when first pondering this move.

Comment

Working...
                    X