BitsPower Universal RAM Block Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BitsPower Universal RAM Block Install

Waterblocks for RAM are mildly controversial as there is little evidence to prove the benefit of cooling RAM, particularly non-overclocked modules. For the Enthusiast, it can easily be said that if its possible to watercool any component, We will do it. Regardless of the actual benefit of heat dissipation, and more likely for purely asethetic reasons. The single most common memory modules that have been pre-designed and well marketed for watercooling are the Corsair Dominators and Dominator GTs, owing to their easily dismantled top side heatspreaders.

In fact, all major watercooling manufactures (XSPC, EKWB) provide some type of Memory cooling. It can also be noted that Mushkin, Kingston and OCZ have also designed proprietary memory waterblocks, along with this forgotten monstrosity issued by Gigabyte in 2008...

But what if you do not own or plan to use something other than Corsair Memory? There are afterall countless other options for your computer memory. Luckily, at least four manufactures - namely, Phobya, Koolance, Alphacool and BitsPower - produce a Universal Waterblock that can accomodate any variety of RAM - universally!

In particular, BitsPower have the widest range of RAM coolers - available in 2/4/6 DIMM sizes, with blue/red/clear acrylic tops, in both Dominator GT(s) and Universal versions.

Today we will be examining the installation of this version Bitspower Galaxy Freezer Universal RAM Module Water Cooling Set.

The packaging and contents are shown below.

Last edited by bungwirez; 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

For this project I have chosen to use the G-Skillz Ripjaw X module.

To begin with, there is the removal of this classic Ripjaw heatspreader. There are two methods that can be used to produce the same results. As always, this will void your warranty. and in my case, cause at least one of the modules to fail post installation.

so, brave souls. the heatspreader on these modules is simply glued in place. I applied a heatgun to each module, effectively melting the glue, then with a mild amount of effort was able to pry the heatspreader away from the module. It is also been suggested by various other forum sources that the same effect can be achieved by leaving the memory in your freezer for aproximately one hour. I'm not nearly that patient, and so opted for heat.

heatspreader removed, heres what you see.

Next install the provided thermal interface tape. Beware that the tape is covered on both sides by plastic that must be removed.

Fitting the memory into the BitsPower heatspreader is fairly intuitive. However, it is important to note, there is no guard for lateral movement. I recommend being cautious in measuring up each module with the previous to ensure continuity, before tightening the two phillips screws shown below.

Last edited by bungwirez; 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

Next it seems intuitive to move to applying the Galaxy Freezer top block.

the block fixes easily to the modules with the supplied allen keys and wrench

However, owing to the lack of a lateral guard to promote the exact alignment of the module within the heatspreader, I recommend installation of each spreader within the DIMMs first.

Further to this point, it is also important to test the memory for proper functioning BEFORE applying the waterblock. As in my case, one of the modules faulted - likely as a result of dismantling the original heatspreader.

It should also be noted that it is necessary to apply more thermal tape to this surface before attaching the waterblock. The individual strips provide are adequate, although applying these while the case and mother board are in a horizontal position is optimal.
      Last edited by bungwirez; 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Here is the final product fully installed with water running

Here I have used simple 45degree compression fittings and long lengths of tube to connect my loop to the CPU. This functions adequately, and has no effect on the cooling as it is well known that water will ultimately reach equilibrium in your loop, regardless of length of tubes.

It is however mildly obnoxious and very cluttered looking IMO.

A far more asethically pleasing way to create this loop is to utilize 90degree rotary fittings and spacers.

I am using a EK-Supreme HF - Acetal Rev4 CPU block, so I cannot guarentee that the spacer I have used will work with all CPU block combinations and this particular memory block. I recommend careful measurement of height variations between the FB/CPU/RAM to calculate what sizes you will need... or if you have a good budget just buy a wide variety... they can always be used in other places!

That said, the picture below shows the use of two 7mm (black) and two 20mm (silver) spacers and 4x 90degree rotary fittings to loop the FB to CPU then onto the Galaxy Freezer Memory block.

I chose to use custom cut lengths of tube to run between each rotary compression fitting. Although it is definatly possible to use regular 90degree fittings and adapt spacers or perhaps even something like the koolance SLI K-Vid spacer.

This process was mildly trick, in fact caused a certain degree of flex on the memory block as the tube routing is very short... less than 5mm of tube is showing. the result of this became apparent after I finalized my install, powered up, only to find that there was a (lack of) memory error. I had taken this picture prior to this time and if you look closely you can see that the RAM is not properly seated.

After a short time of angry stamping of feet and relinquishing myself to proper problem solving (without viewing my pics), I came to a speedy fix and a wonderfully operating watercooled rig.
        Last edited by bungwirez; 06-10-2012, 08:25 PM.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

So thats it. a generally easy install if you plan appropriately and don't mind making a few extra trips to the Dazmode store for parts. I think it took me at least two buys to acquire the proper spacers.

As my final recommendation of the Bitspower Galaxy Freezer Universal RAM Module Water Cooling Set... I decline comment on the "cooling effectiveness" since I cannot provide any significant data to warrant using this product. Mostly for the simple reason that I am only using stock XMP profile speeds on this RAM.

However, on an enthusiast, "I just gotta watercool my RAM cau" level - I give Bitspower Galaxy Freezer Universal RAM Module Water Cooling Set a resounding Bungz Up.

Thank you as always to my drink of choice during the writing of this mod,

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave your comments and questions in the box... below. Shibby!
          Last edited by bungwirez; 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Fantastic contribution!
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
              Fantastic contribution!
              With pleasure Sir.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

I recently acquired the XSPC RAM block recently for a future build.

http://www.dazmode.com/store/index.p...oducts_id=2018

Again, this part is supposedly "dedicated" to Corsair Dominator RAM.
                Of course... I didn't believe it once I stacked it up against the BitsPower Universal RAM block.

As you can see from these picks,
                There is very little difference between this block and the BitsPower Universal RAM block, aside from asethetics...
                The primary difference is the total height... where the XSPC block is taller by 8mm ... precisely the height of the removable acrylic top.
                Amazingly? ...the XSPC block fits perfectly on the BitsPower Universal RAM covers.

BitsPower RAM covers are available individually here:
                http://www.bitspower.com.tw/index.ph...oducts_id=2436

Good news for those of us that love GSkills!
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Personally; I like the look of the XSPC RAM block over the BitsPower block, it seems to be more refined and clean looking.

The BitsPower block would look a lot better if it didn't have the writing across the top...mind you, if someone used some lighter fluid on the lettering, maybe (with a little luck and elbow grease) the lettering would come right off without spoiling the acrylic.
                  AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Comment

IDK. the BP block looks pretty sweet with IceDragon in it...

can hardly see the inscription...
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

great job bungwirez

Ram block looks great with the ice dragon thru it

I wonder if those 2 blocks have a place for led's?
                      and what the light would do around the IDC

Comment

The XSPC model comes with two LED (blue)

there's no pre-drilled spot for LED's on the BitsPower.
                        but that doesn't mean with a little careful drilling you couldn't make one.
                        HAF932 Mods
                        C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                        X