Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new setup help

Hi guys,

im doing my first setup and i need some help.
    my parts are: corsair 750d
    ex240/ex360
    sp120s
    ek supreme cpu block
    2 x r9 290 ekwb
    ek reservoir
    d5 pump with ek top
    g2 1300

Ill be using a similar loop except im using 360 top and 240 bottom:

1- i bought the following cpu block: DazMode Special Edition - Universal CPU Block (Model 2014)
    and after reading the instructions im a bit mixed up as it states that the cpu block doesnt have flow direction and the in and out can be inversed.
    From what ive read online the cpu blocks usually have an inlet and outlet.... could anyone confirm?

2- Also Im having an issue with spacing at the bottom for my 240 rad
    when i did my research it seems to be ok for a 240mm rad but im not so sure... since the spacing is tight as you can see from below pic...any feedback?
    Last edited by simsin; 11-12-2014, 07:57 PM.

Hi I have the same case . Where is the power supply going to sit .

Comment

My Antec 1300 and a Darkside dual/thin rad are extremely tight fitting in the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Hi I have the same case . Where is the power supply going to sit .
        the PSU will sit where you see on the bottom pic. (it is screwed in on the pic)

the rad wasnt screwed in.

Comment

Originally posted by simsin View Post
          1- i bought the following cpu block: DazMode Special Edition - Universal CPU Block (Model 2014)
          and after reading the instructions im a bit mixed up as it states that the cpu block doesnt have flow direction and the in and out can be inversed.
          From what ive read online the cpu blocks usually have an inlet and outlet.... could anyone confirm?
          the Dazmode block is this one, right?

as you can see its symmetrical design allows either port to be inlet.
          this feature is fairly unique among CPU blocks... so your research is correct.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
            the Dazmode block is this one, right?

as you can see its symmetrical design allows either port to be inlet.
            this feature is fairly unique among CPU blocks... so your research is correct.
            this is exactly the block
            So this one is a rare exception then.... thats nice!
            thanks for the clarification.
            Last edited by simsin; 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

what would be the best place to mount my 240mm rad? I wanted to mount it in the bottom, but I remember reading/watching about WC and how it is important to have the pump as the lowest point in the loop.
              at first I wanted to set my setup like this:

but if the pump has to be the lowest point this wouldnt work... so is the best way to do it? I would have to lose my two af140s on the front panel
              Last edited by simsin; 11-12-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Pump dosn't have to be lowest point of loop ,example bay res with pump idea. Rule of thumb is below the res idea so it never runs dry.

Put your rad or rads wherever they fit...
                Last edited by nass; 11-12-2014, 09:56 AM.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Originally posted by simsin View Post
                  the PSU will sit where you see on the bottom pic. (it is screwed in on the pic)

the rad wasnt screwed in.
                  The pic is broken, and the diagram shows a 480 in the bottom. But I assume you really mean a 240 in the bottom.

As the others have said, as long as the res is above the pump so it can prime and not run dry, you should be fine. I did a 360 in the top and a 240 in the bottom of a Fractal Design XL R2, and used a pump/bay res mounted fairly high in the case, and it works fine. Although I had to drill the holes myself, as the stock case only has two fans up top and one on the bottom.

Most would think it silly, but I like that the first stop in your loop after the hot components is the 360 rad that is dumping heat outside.

Comment

so it looks like you are going tube rez, which is by far the best choice.

you really need to then be looking at these BP rez/pump mount combos.

they are (they're...) absolutely stellar. so long as you have the room.

measure twice, buy once.
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys... so youre saying as long as the res is before pump its ok...alright perfect!

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                      so it looks like you are going tube rez, which is by far the best choice.

you really need to then be looking at these BP rez/pump mount combos.

they are (they're...) absolutely stellar. so long as you have the room.

measure twice, buy once.
                      I wish I bought the one of those combos... unforunately this was my first build and I didnt really know better but i got myself an ek res with a d5 pump and ek top.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                        The pic is broken, and the diagram shows a 480 in the bottom. But I assume you really mean a 240 in the bottom.

As the others have said, as long as the res is above the pump so it can prime and not run dry, you should be fine. I did a 360 in the top and a 240 in the bottom of a Fractal Design XL R2, and used a pump/bay res mounted fairly high in the case, and it works fine. Although I had to drill the holes myself, as the stock case only has two fans up top and one on the bottom.

Most would think it silly, but I like that the first stop in your loop after the hot components is the 360 rad that is dumping heat outside.
                        I took the diagram from another thread online. its almost the same loop as me except the rads are 480 and 360 instead of 360 and 240 in my case.

Comment

Your config looks fine. Not only fine, it looks great. Nice and clean. Nice work.

As others said above, as long as you have a good head of water above the pump (hydrostatic pressure), it doesnt really matter where the pump/rez are in the loop. These pumps we use need to be 'pre-charged'. Meaning they dont have any real suction, they must be 'force fed' to function proper. Tall tube rezs' are best because they have a large column of water standing above the pump. The weight of the fluid forces water to the pump maintaining priming and actually helping the pump.

Here is a great video of what NOT TO DO.

Comment

ok so I finally had time to work on my build and I did some nice progress but it seems... I didnt think everything through. (i've learned alot from my first wc build :S mainly that an evga g2 is HUGGGE)
                            heres a pic:

Any suggestions on where to put the pump? also any suggestions on how to get the pcie cables to look cleaner?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated ( before I **** something else up...)
                            Last edited by simsin; 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Mount pump on front fan. Velcro or ziptie for cables
                              __________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                              Venom Build: Build Log,
                              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                              Orange Build: Final Video
                              HTPC Build: Final Video
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                              X