No announcement yet.

D5 Vario pump wont turn on, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D5 Vario pump wont turn on, any ideas?

I ordered a new D5 vario pump from dazmode along with the darkside 2a 12v & 5v external DC power supply. I plugged the supply into the molex connector of the pump after submerging the business ends in water (not where the cords go in), but the pump isn't moving any water.

I tried putting the pump on every power setting but still no water movement.

I tested the external power supply on fans so I knot it works.

I didn't plug the fan connector into anything so I'm not sure if thats whats causing the pump to not power on, or if the pump isn't working for some other reason.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty new here, but these types of pumps need to be primed.
    The pump has to be filled with water before the thing will work.

With that said, you're running the pump dry, which shouldn't be done as the water lubricates the pump _ as I am sure you know.

If the pump isn't spinning at all, then try plugging the fan connector in your MoBo.
    Last edited by Jeff R 1; 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

kinda sounds like ya toasted your pump, connect to a res and loop it back into itself and run it, pumps are pretty tough but eventually will burn if run dry, semi submerging it is not a way to test a pump.
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

definitely set up a mini loop.

take some pics to give us better ideas.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but I made certain that the pump was not dry before ever attempting to power it. (I watched the video series)

I'm not saying that the pump isn't toast, but if it is, it was dead on arrival, I certainly didn't run it dry.

Comment

Pump motor part is not sealed and it not supposed to be in water at any time. You killed pump and need to buy new one.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

You are not supposed to submerge the pump like that, there is a circuit board in there that you have shorted out from the water hitting the electrical parts. Rear part of the pump should never see any water, that is why there are two hose connections on the pump. Shame, please ask questions and post pictures when you are not sure of your methods as we can help to the best of our abilities. Time for a new pump I'm afraid.Click image for larger version

Name:	gif (15).gif
Views:	14
Size:	424 Bytes
ID:	76498
              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Well shit... putting moores law to the test.. told you I didn't run it dry.

Comment

I haven't seen a single dead D5 in past 5 years. Testing it is waste of time to start with.

Half as minute dry test won't really kill it, but it can easily damaged impeller that will loose its balance, so pump get noisy and shaky.
                  Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                  Venom Build: Build Log,
                  Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                  Orange Build: Final Video
                  HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

pump kicked it in the bucket. ohhh... tough one Hoki.

Don't feel like you're the only one to screw up your kit before it sees action.
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Hoki View Post
                      Well shit... putting moores law to the test.. told you I didn't run it dry.
                      I feel I need to clarify something here for you (just in case) and for anyone else that may come across this thread.

I said:

"The pump has to be filled with water before the thing will work."

The whole pump should never be submerged in water. Only the part(s) that come in contact with water should come in contact with the water.
                      The pump doesn't work like a vacuum, it can't suck water if the pump has no water inside it _ it won't work simply by sticking the intake end in a bucket of water while the internal workings of the pump are dry.
                      As mentioned by nass and bungwirez, set up a mini loop to test the pump, setting up a mini loop will properly prime the pump.

Something to try before getting a new pump is to buy a 4 litre jug of isopropyl alcohol.
                      Submerge the entire pump into the alcohol allowing the alcohol to penetrate where the water wasn't supposed to go _ you may want to move the pump around in the alcohol bath (be sure and wear some gloves here)

Remove the pump and place it in a warm place to dry, gently shaking it every 20 minutes or so to get rid of the alcohol.

If you can, disassemble the pump as much as you can to allow better evaporation of the alcohol.

The idea behind this procedure is for the alcohol to absorb any water trapped inside the electrical part of the pump, if the water that's trapped in these areas is dissipated, you may be able to rescue the pump, provided that the water has not permanently shorted the pump.

This procedure assumes that you did actually submerge the whole pump in water....
                      Last edited by Jeff R 1; 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

if ya wanna try, just disassemble it and let it dry reassemble and test, cant hurt to try. Least it wasn't a video card or cpu they hurt when ya toast them
                        Last edited by nass; 11-12-2014, 01:00 AM.
                        Blackout
                        Something-New
                        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Ouch! def. not supposed to fully submerge a D5 like this.
                          As everyone has already stated , if you aren't sure how to go about assembling your loop (no shame in asking!) you should always post questions or look it up.
                          Sorry about your pump , it'll have to be replaced.
                          Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                          Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Out of curiosity, what would happen if the pump is submerged in mineral oil instead of distilled water? I would assume that it would still work but really hard to clean afterward...
                            Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                              pump kicked it in the bucket
                              Groan!

Comment

Working...
                              X