Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto-Shut-off PC when water pump stops - BIOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-Shut-off PC when water pump stops - BIOS?

I would like to configure the BIOS so that if the water pump is off, to shutdown the PC instantly, but I cannot find the way to do so. Anyone?

Its an Asus Hero vii MB.

I use coretemp for such occasions.

It won't tell you if your pump failed - however you can set it up so that your system will shut down if it reaches a certain temperature.
    It also sports a neat feature that allows you to monitor via mobile phone.
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Here is the download link if you have any questions about setting it up i'll be back a little bit later tonight and help you out.
    Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
    Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Some high end fan controllers can also accomplish this, even if the pc is hung. My t-balancer bigNG with sensor hub can do this based on various inputs such as temps or flow. It has it's own microprocessor and is connected to the power switch header of the mobo. I suspect the Aquaero can as well.

Comment

Depending on the pump, couldn't he just plug it into one of the CPU MoBo fan jacks.
        If the pump stops turning the BIOS will detect the failure and shut the computer down.
        I guess it depends upon the BIOS ???
        I would have to check and see on my MSI board if it can be set up to shut down in case of a fan failure.

Comment

The pump does have a CPU fan jack, which I plugged to the CPU fan header on the MB. If plugged, it shows the pump speed, around 4800 RPM. When unplugged, it just shows an error: "CPU fan" while rebooting, but it does not shut off the PC, which is what I actually want it to do.

Comment

What do people do to shut down their system automatically when the pump fails?

Comment

Originally posted by jack_l2 View Post
              Modern CPU's have overheating protection so if they get to a point where they are too hot, they shut themselves down to prevent damage, so there is no need to have a dedicated system to shut the system down when the pump fails.

Comment

And like i stated before , as fail safe. I use CoreTemp. If my CPU goes over a certain temperature it shuts down. No need to actually monitor the pump.
                Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Originally posted by Neo182 View Post
                  And like i stated before , as fail safe. I use CoreTemp. If my CPU goes over a certain temperature it shuts down. No need to actually monitor the pump.
                  There are many reasons why I do not want to rely on a OS-based application for this purpose. A few examples:
                  1. The system reboots and there is full disk encryption in place
                  2. The system hangs because of a BSOD
                  3. System reboots and is stuck at BIOS for whatever reason

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
                    Modern CPU's have overheating protection so if they get to a point where they are too hot, they shut themselves down to prevent damage, so there is no need to have a dedicated system to shut the system down when the pump fails.
                    Problem with that idea is that if you are OCing and stress testing your system, the PC will shutdown very frequently. Lowering the CPU temp shutdown trigger might cause even more frequent shutdowns...

Perhaps the best way is what Grinder mentioned, high end fan controllers which will shutdown the PC regardless of BIOS or apps.

Comment

Problem with that idea is that if you are OCing and stress testing your system, the PC will shutdown very frequently. Lowering the CPU temp shutdown trigger might cause even more frequent shutdowns...
                      What?

You OC and stress test for a couple of days, maybe a week at maximum to determine the clocks you want to set for your CPU. If an OC fails during stress testing and you get a BSOD, the system will restart, it won't shut down.

When a CPU overheats, it shuts itself and the system down, it won't reboot, so if I come back and see that the system is off, it will almost always be a hardware failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
                        What?

You OC and stress test for a couple of days, maybe a week at maximum to determine the clocks you want to set for your CPU. If an OC fails during stress testing and you get a BSOD, the system will restart, it won't shut down.

When a CPU overheats, it shuts itself and the system down, it won't reboot, so if I come back and see that the system is off, it will almost always be a hardware failure.
                        Agreed.

But keep in mind the GPU and other components are also on that same loop. The ideal setup is actually to rely on pump failure, flow rate, as well as CPU (GPU?) temp thresholds, in the instance where the pump is working but the waterflow is clogged.

Comment

I've been in this exact situation where my loop was clogged but kept running and temps went upward of only 90-95 degrees.
                          didn't shut down the system, but it did make her unstable.

the key give away to me - other than the temp - was the vortex in my tube rez.

of course, this was my "tap water loop experiment"
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

Tap water _ so it was clogged with, all sorts of living thingys in there ?

Comment

Yes ! Mini aliens procreating for sure. Bungs, dig out that critter image from your block !
                              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Working...
                              X