evga stinger wifi with gtx680 windows 8.1 black screen after driver install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evga stinger wifi with gtx680 windows 8.1 black screen after driver install

so as the title says just built a fresh pc for my HTPC ive never had so much trouble before.

evga stinger wifi z97 board
    evga gtx680
    i5 4690k
    windows 8.1

ive read many a forum post on the black screen after installing drivers. I can get my system to work fine if I turn off updates. and leave the old 2006 NVidia windows drivers on the system but If I enable auto update or install the latest drivers from NVidia I get the black screen at start up and eventually a windows recovery screen or sometimes a windows trouble shoot screen with a driver error after a few reboots. is there any fix to this? this is absolutely absurb. my bios is up to date for windows 10. Ive messed around in my bios with turning gen 2 graphics on and so forth.

at this point the min I intall a driver I end up having to reset the windows 8 and start over to get it to work or use safe mode.

this is a watercooled pc so id rather not take the card out and buy another. it was a budget build

I haven't found a solution on the web yet dating back 4 years of forum reads

Hate to break this to you but black screen after driver installation is typically a case of damaged graphics card. The card is probably dead.

You can try disabling the PCIe slot and/or turning primary display to onboard graphics within the BIOS, then install Intel drivers see if that works.

If all else fails, try older Nvidia drivers see if those help. If not, then the card is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
      Hate to break this to you but black screen after driver installation is typically a case of damaged graphics card. The card is probably dead.

You can try disabling the PCIe slot and/or turning primary display to onboard graphics within the BIOS, then install Intel drivers see if that works.

If all else fails, try older Nvidia drivers see if those help. If not, then the card is dead.
      even if the computer is working right now? with old drivers? the device manager shows the gtx680 installed just using 2006 drivers from the initial start up.

Comment

GTX 680 was launched in 2012 not 2006. Those drivers won't work properly.

Comment

Actually says 8-25-15 now but wants me to restart computer before changes take effect this is where problem usually start

Comment

Think it can somehow be using onboard graphics until I restart ive read a lot about this problem with the 680 and windows 8.1 but no one really had a solution

Comment

Very odd been battling this for a week now just shut down instead of restart after update and it booted up fine and driver is up to date we'll see how long this lasts still have a feeling things r screwy

Comment

ah the old... turn it off and on again trick.

I had been using the DCII 680 for the longest time, never an issue with drivers.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

I'll try to find another 680 that matches my ek water block . There's some cheap ones don't wanna upgrade and buy all new blocks

Comment

Could the card be dead if it works before updates and if I still get windows load icon beside black screen and safe mode works while cable is plugged into back of gpu?

Comment

Working...
                    X