Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotophor
    replied
    UPDATE: I found an eBay seller in the UK offering the TruOpto LEDs with much cheaper shipping to the U.S. I bought the 3 mm Sakura and Lavender colors. I also already have some of the 5mm Violet LEDs from superbrightleds.com, left over from a previous project. I wanted something to replace the keypad lighting in a vintage novelty landline telephone that I have. It's clear with interior parts painted white, and it's illuminated with a "U"-shaped neon tube that lights up a pastel purple, but the stock keypad lighting is from standard green LEDs, which clashes terribly, even though the neon tube and the keypad lighting are never on at the same time. I'm sure the phone was made when the only LED colors available were red, orange, yellow and yellowish-green.

Comparing these three purple LED colors, I found that the Violet from superbrightleds.com is fully saturated with no hint of "whiteness" at all but leaning slightly toward magenta (reddish). The Sakura by TruOpto is a somewhat white-ish medium pastel purple, almost a perfect match to the neon phone. The Lavender by TruOpto is almost pure white with just a hint of purple, much whiter than the photos from the sellers depict. No points for guessing which color I'm going to install in the phone!
    Last edited by Scotophor; 03-11-2016, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scotophor
    replied
    Originally posted by DazMode View Post
    On practice I noticed that even Blue and RGB Purle make thing glow as well, so I do see any solution around it.
    Blue light does stimulate fluorescence in many substances that fluoresce under UV. But just because blue light will also make them glow, does not mean that it is doing the same damage that UV does. I'm sure PETG tubing will last much longer under phosphor purple or RGB LED lighting than it will under ~400 nm UV LED lighting.
    Last edited by Scotophor; 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scotophor
    replied
    UPDATE: rapidonline.com sells a line of LEDs in a wide palette of novelty and pastel colours called TruOpto. You can get them in 5 mm T-1 3/4 and 3 mm T-1 sizes. The LEDs are cheap enough, but shipping outside the UK and EU is very expensive for small purchases -- they don't seem to offer the inexpensive "small packet" option, only DHL at a minimum of about USD $30. They have at least 3 shades in the "purple" range: Magenta, Lavender and Sakura. Lavender appears to be a noticably pastel shade; bluish purple leaning toward white, while Sakura seems to be a more saturated version of about the same hue (bluish purple with less white).
    Last edited by Scotophor; 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DazMode
    replied
    Indeed. I have some Pink LED that in fact Blue with red phosphor coating. White are also just Blue with yellow coating.

On practice I noticed that even Blue and RGB Purle make thing glow as well, so I do see any solution around it.

Leave a comment:

• Scotophor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardliner View Post
    Hi, I am looking for non-UV purple LED's to put inside my Corsair 900D case along with my PETG tubing. I have read that extended periods of exposure to UV light can make PETG tubing unstable. Most sites through which I search, though, have only 'UV purple' LED's and not just regular, 'non-UV purple' LED's. Could anyone direct me to a site or sites (competition lowers prices) that actually have non-UV purple LED's?
    Originally posted by DazMode View Post
    C'n guys, this is juniour high school physics ... Purple = UV.

after 410nm glowing effect goes down to hill.
    DazMode, there are different shades of "purple", just like every other (insert name of color here). Besides "violet" (near-UV; ~400 nm), it is also possible to produce "purple"-ish shades by blending blue with red, as has been suggested by other posters recommending use of RGB light strips. For reasons unknown, to most people this technically "magenta" combination looks very similar to violet.

Hardliner, there are in fact non-UV "purple" LEDs available, though they are very hard to find. They typically use a blue LED chip combined with a red-emitting phosphor. This same technique is used to make so-called "pink" (really magenta) LEDs too; the difference being that "purple" LEDs typically have less of the red phosphor, so they look more bluish. See http://www.ledmuseum.net/ledpur.htm for photos and spectrograms of part numbers SSL-LX5093VC (Lumex) and ETG-5AX420-15 (ETG). This page is quite old, but I know that the Lumex part is still available. You can also get this 5mm Violet LED from superbrightleds.com too.

Those are all 5 mm (T-1 3/4) through-hole component LEDs, so you will have to solder them and provide the correct current-limiting series resistance yourself. I've been trying to locate 3 mm (T-1) non-UV purple LEDs for myself with very little success. This LC LED-300TP4G is the only one I've found so far, but it's rather expensive at USD $1.58 each with a minimum order of 15 pieces. Australian website ledsales.com.au has this round-topped and this flat-topped version, both of which they call "pink" but appear more like purple in their photos. I'm not sure if I want to try them yet. Similarly, Futurlec has this 5 mm and this 3 mm LEDs which they call "purple", but their so-called "datasheet" links don't actually provide full data (no wavelength or spectrogram info), so it isn't possible to determine if they are phosphor purple or UV purple. I've tried emailing them but got no response yet.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Neo182
    replied
    Will do. Byesies!

Leave a comment:

• 10e
    replied
    Accosted.

LOL

Instead of just waiting until the link gets approved they just ran off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13259082337.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	76827

Leave a comment:

• gdesmo
    replied
    Typical jerk that does not bother to read the rules first and then whine and bitch when he doesn't get his way. Time to grow up !

Leave a comment:

• nass
    replied
    see if you can limit his text colour choices? Testy isn't he, lol

Leave a comment:

• bungwirez
    replied
    accosted... by an automated message? jeesh. truly impatient.
    especially when our wonderful admin team nearly instantaneously approved the post.
    and even more so, since everyone of us have already read the ModZoo page you'v linked...
    what? you think we don't get around in this small community?

high fives all round.

Leave a comment:

• Hooded
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardliner View Post
    Well, I answered along with a posting of link that would shed some (non-UV) light on this subject, only to be accosted with a message saying that a moderator would have to approve the link before my answer would post. That forum is apparently BS--I do not appreciate boards that will not allow people to communicate in real-time.

Y'all have fun here--see yas.
    If your referring to this forum requiring moderation. That is a rule that won't be changed. Every new member has to make 6 posts before they are past the no moderation point. You are only at 4 posts. So if either of your next two posts have an image or a link in them you can be sure they will require moderation. After 6 posts, then your clear of the automatic moderation rules. Until then your treated no different than anyone else.

You can be sure we will continue to have fun here.
    Good luck finding a quality forum with less restrictions than this one.

Leave a comment:

• Hardliner
    replied
    Well, I answered along with a posting of link that would shed some (non-UV) light on this subject, only to be accosted with a message saying that a moderator would have to approve the link before my answer would post. That forum is apparently BS--I do not appreciate boards that will not allow people to communicate in real-time.

Y'all have fun here--see yas.

Leave a comment:

• DazMode
    replied
    Uv reactive materials react with uv radiation from border of being seen by human eye towards blue range.

If led is single colored in thart range it is can be classified as uv and it is harmful to some degree.

Mix it of two single color LEDs such as red and blue should not be producing uv radiation, as I understand it as it just wave interference.

Leave a comment:

• Hardliner
    replied
    I just read someone saying that UV is not violet but 'ultra'-violet, and that purple is nothing more than blue and red together. So it seems that UV does NOT equal purple . . . unless you went to private schools to literally 'see the world differently' than public school kids while growing up. . ..

Also, here is an interesting thread on the UV light/PETG tubing subject matter: http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php...ng-uv-and-you/

Leave a comment:

• nass
    replied
    yellow text sucks... have found that cold cathode uv lights over time weaken plastic parts on motherboards, at the time was running uv soft tubing so haven't tried on hard tube yet. Would worry more about your motherboard plastic parts than the thicker petg tubing, imagine would takes years or more to affect something that thick.
    Last edited by nass; 09-30-2015, 11:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X