Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about what to fill my loop with if I'm using PETG tubing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about what to fill my loop with if I'm using PETG tubing.

Hi guys.

I recently found out that using an EG based additive (like DazMode Protector) isn't too good for PETG tube. Glad I found this out before filling the loop! I'm assuming this will work but can anyone confirm?

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...clear-1000-ml/

Thanks in advance!

No cannot use this either. Just discovered this week, that PETG is .... basically crap. The only liquid that ok would be pastels.

http://sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/res...art-Detail.pdf
    Last edited by DazMode; 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Glad I didn't delve into hard tubing. Sucks for you though shifty. At least you can add some colour.

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
        No cannot use this either. Just discovered this week, that PETG is .... basically crap. The only liquid that ok would be pastels.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I placed an order for another 1000mm of PETG tube yesterday so I just requested a refund. Don't want to work with PETG if it's going to be so problematic! Not sure I understand what the chart means when it doesn't have a letter (i.e. a "-") but it looks like acrylic isn't much better when it comes to EG. This is crazy!

Ok, so it's pastels or change to... copper tubing?

Originally posted by Chann3l View Post
        Glad I didn't delve into hard tubing. Sucks for you though shifty. At least you can add some colour.
        Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I made a big mistake! I was just telling the wife that I'm starting to get sad that I'm coming to the end of my build, and I wish there was something else for me to do. Careful what you wish for I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by shiftymcgoo View Post
          but it looks like acrylic isn't much better when it comes to EG. .
          There is absolutely no problem with Acrylic. Acrylic reservoirs were used for years without any ill effects. Switch to Bitspower Crystal links, that would be my recommendation if you don't like pastel.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks. That's what I'll do.

Comment

Sorry, one more question. Can I continue to use the EK hdc fittings with the crystal link tubing? I assume so since the ID/OD are the same as the PETG I was using before.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftymcgoo View Post
                Sorry, one more question. Can I continue to use the EK hdc fittings with the crystal link tubing? I assume so since the ID/OD are the same as the PETG I was using before.
                Yes, obviously. Same size is the same size.

Comment

Thanks Daz.

Comment

Didn't know that about PETG. Just made my loop from it but luckily I am putting mayhems pastel in it, but thats lame that other stuff won't work. I bought extra PETG for my other comp and now I guess I'll buy acrylic.
                    Thanks as well Daz.
                    My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post

hold up brother.

lets not jump to conclusions.

I'm pretty drunk right now, but this chart deserves some serious interpretations, like say later tonite, when I'm trying not to let some people goto heaven.
                      HAF932 Mods
                      C70 Mods

Comment

I've definitely got some questions about this chart too. Interested to hear your thoughts. I was also reading through another thread in the help section about coolant selection and the guy (can't remember his name right now) talked about 2 cardinal rules of coolant. One being don't ever mix coolant types, and the other being never use EG with acrylic.

But Daz makes a good point. Acrylic reservoirs have been used in all types of loops (hard or soft tube) for a while so you would think any issues with EG would have been discovered by now. I'm so glad there are experts smarter than me thinking about this stuff.

Comment

Everybody welcome to open Google and make research of their own on Chemical compatibility of materials.

From what I see, PETG has very serious limitations on what kind of chemicals it can "work with". No other type of plastic has so many don't-s. It seems to me that nobody ever tried to research this in proper way. It bends better - case closed, let's run with it.

Comment

Since the weekend I've been looking around at various sites from manufacturers and re-sellers and more often than not they have messages like this:

With the use of different components, materials, fluids, and flow rates, results may vary with the appearance of your tubing. Rigid PETG Tube is designed to work with a large variety of cooling components, however the use of alcohols, Ethylene Glycol and as well as any other harmful chemicals is strictly prohibited and will void your warranty. PrimoChill is not responsible for any damage caused by or when using this product. Please use at your own risk.

Comment

Having used both I prefer acrylic.

First off, it doesn't have the irritating tapering issue like PETG. With acrylic, I cut, then I use my rimmer/reamer tool to make the ends tapered, then I clean the tube, dip the end in some water, insert the tube, case closed. No ripped up o-rings on the fittings.

PETG when tapered, you then have to sand it, because it needs de-burring on the end, as the tapering step doesn't leave anywhere near a smooth finish. Another step I don't need.

Yes it takes less heat to bend it: Big deal.

Another issue is if you are doing a bend near the end, which i sometimes do to avoid waste. With acrylic the chance that it will mal form during the bending and turn into an oval is not usually a problem. With PETG I found it is so susceptible to heat, that if your heating isn't super accurate, you can end up with an oval on the end. That will blast out the o-rings and cause you to potentially have to buy more o-rings or lose a nice and somewhat pricey fitting.

I've bent, re-bent, unbent etc... the acrylic tubing to my heart's content without issue. I once tripped and cracked an acrylic tube by stepping on it, but in regular use, no issues.

There was a serious, and somewhat heated debate on OCN about the very issues Daz is talking about. It was one guy having serious doubts about PETG and its ability to withstand normal coolant types outside of pastels, and another guy covering his ears and going "lalalalala".

This is one of the few times I don't agree with Bill Owen, because he loves the stuff, but I can't stand it. It also doesn't look as smooth as acrylic because it has tiny ridges in it. I tried the Bitspower stuff before Daz was carrying it. Rather unforgettable experience and not for the right reasons.

Oh and Primochill voids warranty for everything including sneezing on their products.

My favourite is the time I bought their "acrylic" tube from Performance-PCs and got polycarbonate tubing that warped when it bent. Great product. I avoid their stuff like the plague now. If I want imperial tubing I go Monsoon. Their stuff works because they actually test it.

For acrylic I've never had quality issues with Bitspower and EK so I stick with them, and I don't have to worry about coolant type unless I'm switching from Ethylene Glycol to pastels because then the system needs a very good and serious flush.

Now I'm a bit of a drama queen, but honestly, I've had better experience with acrylic so I recommend sticking with it, additionally because as Daz has said, it's been the main material for reservoirs and reservoir tubes since like forever.
                              Last edited by 10e; 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM. Reason: Added one thing
                              DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                              X