R9 390 xfx r9-390p-8256

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R9 390 xfx r9-390p-8256

So I did some research, and decided to buy a R9 390 from XFX, the Double D version so I could add in a waterblock in my loop.

After more digging, I've found out that they changed the inducters on some version. Thing is, I already bought my card from newegg, and it's shipped..

Is there any way I could know if my card is the good one beforehand, or will I have to open it up once I get it ? The only workaround is to dremel in the block, which I don't really think I would be okai to do that.

Thanks !

Originally posted by cab64 View Post
    So I did some research, and decided to buy a R9 390 from XFX, the Double D version so I could add in a waterblock in my loop.

After more digging, I've found out that they changed the inducters on some version. Thing is, I already bought my card from newegg, and it's shipped..

Is there any way I could know if my card is the good one beforehand, or will I have to open it up once I get it ? The only workaround is to dremel in the block, which I don't really think I would be okai to do that.

Thanks !
    probably different model number, or maybe by date of manufacture which is probably on the box somewhere.

Only these two are listed on EK compatibility list

XFX XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissipation 8GB GDDR5 (R9-390P-8DF6)
    XFX XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissipation Black Edition 8GB GDDR5

Both have visual compatibility with R9290 blocks

Model numbers are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Chann3l View Post
      probably different model number, or maybe by date of manufacture which is probably on the box somewhere.

Only these two are listed on EK compatibility list

XFX XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissipation 8GB GDDR5 (R9-390P-8DF6)
      XFX XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissipation Black Edition 8GB GDDR5

Both have visual compatibility with R9290 blocks

Model numbers are different.
      Yeah I looked into that too, but if you look on the website (EK configurator) it's the same model, just one written ''With new inducters'' or something.. This is very shady, and I almost already regret my purchase.

Honestly, I don't like the DD's look, but I didn't care since I was going to be watercooling it. Return is not an option, I just sold my 280x. I guess I'll just dremel my block if I have to come to it..

Damn you XFX.

Comment

Originally posted by cab64 View Post
        Yeah I looked into that too, but if you look on the website (EK configurator) it's the same model, just one written ''With new inducters'' or something.. This is very shady, and I almost already regret my purchase.

Honestly, I don't like the DD's look, but I didn't care since I was going to be watercooling it. Return is not an option, I just sold my 280x. I guess I'll just dremel my block if I have to come to it..

Damn you XFX.
        That sucks hopefully it just works. Have you confirmed somewhere that the one with new inductors doesn't fit?

Comment

http://www.overclock.net/t/1569032/x...onfigurator/10

Hey not sure If this helps but an xfx hardware rep thought the new inductors were actually smaller and told someone else with the problem that they could rma it and find the old model for them if it doesn't work.

Comment

I bought a pair of XFX r9 390s (non-X) and they had the tall "Z" labelled inductors.

I used the XSPC r9 290/x blocks and used a drill and fret saw to remove the copper above the inductor closest to the video ports bracket. I had the EK blocks at the time but I deemed that the nickel plated copper above the inductor was thinner and would likely require removing the acrylic above it too, or at least thinning it out in addition to removal of the nickel plated copper. There's a thread on overclock.net about it too. If you need it I can dig it up. I posted the following photo there.

DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

I saw your post in the thread I linked.

Comment

Nice job sir !
                3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by Chann3l View Post
                  http://www.overclock.net/t/1569032/x...onfigurator/10

Hey not sure If this helps but an xfx hardware rep thought the new inductors were actually smaller and told someone else with the problem that they could rma it and find the old model for them if it doesn't work.
                  Oops, didn't notice that you linked the thread. Musta been pre-coffee

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                  Nice job sir !
                  Thanks J.

Only took about 15 minutes in total and 10 minutes was block disassembly.
                  DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                  X