reworking extension cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reworking extension cables

Any tips to removing replacing the 24, 8 and 6 pin cable extensions to custom colour things up a bit, have no patience should start out by saying that, lol...

Have 1 of each colour going to be removing replacing idea to do a colour combo for one cable.
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

I bought the older version of this tool from Daz a couple years back and it is invaluable to help speed up removal of ATX and PCI-E cable connectors from the housing:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...-removal-tool/

You can rig up a paper clip to do something similar, but because this tool compresses the retaining tabs on both sides of the connector at the same time, it speeds things up drastically.

I did two 8 pin PCI-E cables and a 24-pin replacing all of the wires with Darkside pre-sleeved wires and it took me about half an hour. I just bought some more to do the 8-pin CPU cable tonight.

For your purposes if you're only replacing a few wires, if you're sleeving, it shouldn't take you more than ten minutes per wire, and most of that would be sleeving time.

Putting new wires in is generally trivial. The hardest part of this was fitting each wire through cable combs for me.
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

I actually broke my pci tool, and I find a pair or bent staples works best for me, since I find it hard to get both ends of the tool in at the same time. I can't view youtube at work but I think this is the video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh_gUBQwvw
      My Imgur

Comment

thx 10e, have the tool ordered believe it is in newmarket now missed ups guy yesterday is probably at the mall now. Thought I had that one already but it is for 3 pin fans.

Ordered a wack of the combs that slip in later.
        Blackout
        Something-New
        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Thx Necro watched a few vids on it and have heard that allot of guys just use paper clips believe am worried for nothing though. What I could use is one of those big ass magnifying glasses.
          Blackout
          Something-New
          Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

guess will be waiting for the tool UPS figured this is a good weekend to take off also, the store they sent it too for pickup is closed for long weekend... trying staple method got 2/6 to work others connector broke plus pins are still in the 6 pin, this was a test run though (no animals were harmed in the process.)
            Blackout
            Something-New
            Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

One thing that helps me popping the pins out regardless of method is to push the wires up into the connector when you push on the staples/tool. This helps get the hooks up and away from the connector so they can be pushed in easier by whatever tool you are using. Also don't pull too hard, you will get a feel for it but if you are doing more than a gentle tug you probably don't have the hooks depressed in all the way, this is where pushing the wire into the connector first helps.

At first when I started do wiring last year I was pretty bad. Like I said I broke my pci tool by forcing it too hard, stabbed myself with the broken end. Be careful of bending the tool, like I said you don't actually need a lot of force, but it will feel like you do.
              My Imgur

Comment

Still waiting on the tool, as a backup (before I give up on the idea) ordered all my cables from cablemods, not sure how long they will take. Ordered everything in modmesh sleaving but only as extensions (24,8,6, and eps 4+4 pin and the usb3 cables, little pricey.

Been awhile since I finished this build now with the new changes decided to fix up at least the main cables visible through the window. Will take some pics once get it done.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Working...
                X