Cleaning Help - What did I do!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Help - What did I do!?

So, if people remember from my last thread, I had my pump start to be very inconsistent. (The suspicion is the CPU block was clogged, causing the pump to overwork and die) Took the opportunity to clean and flush my whole rig with vinegar, and this happened after everything dried.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	79953

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	79954

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	79955

Name:	IMG_5211.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	79956

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	79957

Is this fixable? Is there something I should buy like CLR? Is that rust inside my radiators?

Help me Dazmode, you're my only hope

was it 50% vinegar? Looks like oxidation and possibly flux from radiator... take it off with toothbrush.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Oooooohhhh,. I think Bart did something like that last year on nickel with vinegar but it only affected the cpu block fins. The green/blue colour means its copper oxide, or yes, copper rust. Like Daz said I would try toothbrush, but a good way to clean copper is just hot water and soap, or water and baking soda. (1tbsp per ltr) If its really stuck on there you can boil the part for up to 30 minutes in this solution. You can use vinegar or acid to clean copper but you must remove it soon afterwards. GL on cleaning!
      My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by Necrodead View Post
        Oooooohhhh,. I think Bart did something like that last year on nickel with vinegar but it only affected the cpu block fins. The green/blue colour means its copper oxide, or yes, copper rust. Like Daz said I would try toothbrush, but a good way to clean copper is just hot water and soap, or water and baking soda. (1tbsp per ltr) If its really stuck on there you can boil the part for up to 30 minutes in this solution. You can use vinegar or acid to clean copper but you must remove it soon afterwards. GL on cleaning!
        Yup, but I think my mix was a bit more diluted, as I never saw corrosion. Just the stripping of the nickel plating on the CPU fins. I got lucky. This looks nothing like mine.

Comment

I ended up doing a dry brush followed by a CLR soak. Everything doesn't look perfect, but it's a lot better. There's still some scoring but all the gross green is gone and it's not clogged anymore. I may have ruined the 780 block, but luckily, I had a spare for that one. My radiators might also need replacing, there's a lot of corrosion on the fins, but I'll see how they work for now. I'm not overclocking, and the rad to heat ratio I have is already overkill.

Comment

What are u running through your system on a regular basis? Also looks like your rad is leaking at the header.
            Last edited by nass; 10-29-2016, 11:35 PM.
            Blackout
            Something-New
            Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Just Distilled and Dazmode Protectant.

Comment

Working...
              X