Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another project in the pipeline...

Hi,

I recently acquired a new case but I'm still not sure what I'll do with it. I'm hesitating between moving the Project Orange Horizon (POH) to this new case or building a complete new computer. On one hand, I'm heading toward moving the POH to this big (really big) case since it will save me some money by using existing components (motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU). On the other hand, the POH is already a few years old and that stops me to smoothly render games at a higher resolution.

Monitor
    I'm still using my old monitor (Samsung T220 with 1680x1050 at 60Hz). I'm not sure if I want to move to a 24" or a 27" monitor. I guess the choice of the monitor will impact the choice on the graphic card. My understanding is that monitor’s frequency is important. Higher is better. You seem to feel a big difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. Everything above 120Hz is not necessary “viewable”.
    This is what I had spotted so far. What are you using?
    • For 24”: Acer Predator XB241H or ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q
    • For 27”: Acer Predator XB271HU, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q or DELL S2716DG

Should I move to the 1080p, the 1440p or the 4k bandwagon? I don’t think the 4k will become the standard anytime soon, especially when we see the heap about VR (less than 720p per eye, but still require heavy horsepower to generate such data). One thing for sure is that I'll have only one monitor.

Video card
    I'm also wondering if I should buy another 780TI (03G-P4-2884-KR) with the EKWB waterblock and backplate (3831109868645 & 3831109868331) or buy a 1080/1080ti graphic card with the appropriate waterblock/backplate. What are your thoughts? I know the 1080ti isn't released yet, but I'm not in a hurry to build this computer. I believe a SLI 780ti will be enough for 1440p for all current and future games. That being said, I noticed it is really hard to find the same graphic card with the same waterblock on the second hard market (and at a reasonable price).

Name of the build
    For the cosmetic, this new computer will only be using for gaming and will be mainly white, orange and purple. I will have to sooner or later name this project and I'm looking for some suggestions. I here is what I had in mind so far. Any suggestions?
    • Project Duality Horizon
    • Project Secondary Horizon
    • Project OP Horizon

Here is a preview of the case. Hint: It’s going to have 24 fans...
    Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

What about "Event Horizon"?

Comment

I was really surprised by 1080 being so powerfull and low on power. I dont think i go sli any time soon.
      So id say go single 1080.

On 4k. I use both , for computer work 4k is useleess as you need to scale everything, watching 4 k videos or playing games is nice.
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I personally wouldn't say that the refresh rate (hz) of the monitor is hugely important. I have a 3440x1440 that runs at 75 hz, but as long as I'm not getting frame latency it feels the same to me. Freesync was a much more noticeable improvement, or Gsync in your case.

I would also say that 4k is overrated for gaming, I tired it but I prefer 1440p monitors for gaming. I also like the extra width you get with an ultrawide especially for anything involving first person or driving a car. 24" is good for 1080 and 27" is good for 1440p IMO.

As for the GPU I would say go for 1080 over 780 SLI. It will last longer and the 8gb Vram is very nice to have when you get to 1440 or above, with 4gb on my Fury crossfire I have to run high instead of ultra textures in most games or I get stuttering sometimes.

& I'm horrible at naming things so I won't comment on that.
        My Imgur

Comment

Thermaltake Tower 900? Only other case I can think of that supports 24 fans is a Caselabs or a server case unless you're making one from scratch lol. EDIT: just looked through your last build, never heard of Parvums before. Can't wait to see it.

As for GPU, I have a couple of 980 Tis with EK-FC blocks on them already if you're interested They can tackle 4K max settings no problem. Having said that, if you're planning on sticking to 1440P, SLI 780TI will probably be sufficient. My buddy is running 2 780 TI KPE with 4K and it can handle most stuff on high settings, but Nvidia is gimping them with driver updates and like Necro said, the VRAM isn't quite enough on them.
          Last edited by OneFastStagea; 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I went 4K and kinda regret dropping $1000 on a 28" screen (Acer XB280HK). If you even consider 4K (and I wouldn't), I'd go 32" minimum. But if I had a do-over, I'd go 1440P, but 27" minimum, and preferably bigger. Old blind guy logic.

As for GPU, I'd wait on that. The extra VRAM on a 1080 would come in handy, and you'd get a lot more performance with a whole lot less power draw, at the expense of a ton of cash though. But with Vega being right around the corner, I'd stick with the 780s. A strong Vega should force Nvidia's prices down, and that doesn't seem to be too far off.

P.S. I now have 18 fans in my rig. I guess we're both "fanboys" eh? God that was awful!

Comment

just moved from a sli of 780 to a single strix gxt1080 and believe me , no way my wife will return to a sli of 780

the 1080 is way much powerful and don't know what game you play but my wife play some weird game and most of them is a nightmare with a sli
              always need to deactivated it , go with a 1080

for screen , go with a 2560 x 1080 144Hz ultrawide like the BenQ XR3501, you will never go back to regular screen
              I know someone sell a couple month used for $700 on Quebec Forum but don't know how much cost a brand new one

I have a 3440 x 1440 nd need a lot of horsepower to drive it, you want to have the benefit of the 120hz go with the previous benq and a 1080

for case, for sure its a parvum, now with 24 fan.......if its not a custom case, for sure its a L1.0

Comment

Thank you all, for your help.

It looks like I'm going to wait for either a 1080 or a 1080ti and probably go with a 27" monitor.

At this moment, I play only COD:IW.

As Snef said, it will be the Parvum Systems L1.0.
                • 480mm rad in the front in push/pull: 8 fans
                • 360mm rad on the left-side in push/pull: 6 fans
                • 240mm rad on the right-side in push/pull: 4 fans (it is possible to use a 360mm rad, but not sure if I will)
                • 360mm rad on the top in pull: 6 fans
                • Two other fans can be added at the back (one close to the motherboard, next to the pci brackets and the other one can be put at the back of the bottom chamber)

Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Comment

1080 is perfect and COD:IW don't support SLI, you will be better with a single 1080

Comment

Ya single 1080 as everyone is suggesting will be fine, I use a 27" asus rog 1440p 165hz (if it matters) ips monitor for when I game. As for 24 fans would just use some of those spots to let air come on its own without fans idea, push on rads will be enough IMHO. Get some more swiffers...

Love the case...
                    Last edited by nass; 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM.
                    Blackout
                    Something-New
                    Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

I'm looking for a EATX or ATX Z270 motherboard that will eventually be white (either by painting part of it or by using one that is already white). I want to go with an ATX or EATX motherboard because the new case is pretty big and a mATX or mITX would look awkward in the case.

That being said, I have found a few motherboards:

I'm tempting by the MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC since it's pretty cheap compared to the other motherboards but noticed that it will only support crossfire. Considering that I will most likely buy a NVIDIA card, would you still recommend me to go with that motherboard? I doubt I will ever have multiple GPUs... In addition, I have not found any build using that motherboard. I wonder if I'm missing something here...

What do you think?

How do you usually pick a motherboard?

Do you prefer the performance, the features/functionalities, the aesthetic or the best bang for the buck?

Comment

I'm planning to run my loop in serial with the dual d5 pump top by Bitspower. This kit will be installed in the bottom chamber of the case and no one will really see it...

I'm wondering if I can use the large stock body from my 2x D5 vario instead of buying 2x D5 dressing kit. Do you think it will fit?

Comment

Originally posted by easynator View Post
                          I'm planning to run my loop in serial with the dual d5 pump top by Bitspower. This kit will be installed in the bottom chamber of the case and no one will really see it...

I'm wondering if I can use the large stock body from my 2x D5 vario instead of buying 2x D5 dressing kit. Do you think it will fit?
                          It looks like it will fit.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/as...jsg7d.jpg.html
                          Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
                          Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
                          Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
                          Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
                          Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
                          Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Easy: I can confirm that too, since I had dual D5's in the same top before Daz came out with reasonably priced dressing kits. Not much gap in the middle between the 2 rings, but they fit.

Comment

Working...
                            X