Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DDC 1T (10W) Safe for Motherboard power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDC 1T (10W) Safe for Motherboard power?

Hey all,

Just trying to determine what pumps I am going to use in my build and I want to know if the 10W DDC pump will be able to be powered by the motherboard CPU fan header?

The manual states that the Fan/Pump header supports a max of 1.5A (18W)

I think the DDC 1T is 12W at most?

Thanks,

Chris
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | AMD r9 290 Crossfire | Win8.1 Pro 64 | EK-Supremacy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | EK - FC290 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Koolance RP - 401X2 | Case Labs M8 |

The DDC 1T is 18W isn't it? You should be fine but why not PWM? I think in your other thread you mentioned going for the PWM ddc but someone counciled against that? Now at full speed they would be correct, but if you let your mobo choose the speed via PWM signal and then power via molex, your pump will be able to run more quietly. Actually, you can run things slower on PWM than voltage because PWM doesn't have a minimum startup limit due to the way it works.

I've used both DDC models, but if you want to run it off the mobo go with the PWM imo. You don't have to worry about power draw and it can be quieter if thats what you are looking for.
    My Imgur

Comment

Ah, ok the 10w Daz has on site;

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc..._3_1_10w_pump/

Has a 9v min startup, so you need to run it almost full speed to get it to start. You may be lucky and have a mobo that goes to 12v for a second at startup and then lowers the power afterward, but if it doesn't than you'll have to run your pump at 75% just to start it up. You'll also need an adapter with that pump to run it to the mobo as it has a molex connection for power. PWM just plug it in and you won't even have to go into the bios and set it up, at least mine automatically runs silently so I didn't bother. I bought 2 PWM DDCs just to replace the voltage controlled ones I have. Its 2017, go PWM!
      My Imgur

Comment

Still on the fence on the PWM pumps. The price is pretty much the same, the only thing that is against it is that I won't be using a flow meter in these loops so I won't be able to tune for flow rate, only noise
        Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | AMD r9 290 Crossfire | Win8.1 Pro 64 | EK-Supremacy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | EK - FC290 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Koolance RP - 401X2 | Case Labs M8 |

Comment

Both D5 and DDC pumps are vastly overpowered for water cooling needs, even at the slowest speed a DDC will provide enough flow so as not to effect temperature.
          My Imgur

Comment

Should be no problem. I'm actually running a full speed DDC off of my Prime B350 Plus's CPU fan header at 75% speed and so far, so good.

Burn it!!!!!!!

Just kidding, but the "quiet" version of the DDC is 1 AmP at most, so you should be 100% fine with that.

And as Necro has said, even a quiet version DDC pump is ample pushing power.
            DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

if it was me, I will not run any pump on normal fan header (12v)

some Asus motherboard have water pump with 36w (3amp) and some AIO 24w (2amp)

Comment

Working...
              X