Building Home PC for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Home PC for parents

Im old now with a wife and Kid never asked for much from my mom and pop but they have always been there. my mom uses her computer quite a bit Id say and recently when i was over there i noticed how cruddy it was. its a 2006 HP with a pentium a 2.6ghz E5300 with 6 gb of ram running windows vista.

i was thinking about using some of my parts i have just lying around like a new 1 tb western digital black HD a PSU and some fans and purchasing the rest from newegg.

here was what i was kinda looking at

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

THat'd be a pretty solid upgrade. But I will tell you something important about giving a computer to someone older - make for sure that you aren't going to change their workflow for things. Since they've had that computer for like 10 years they're used to things working in a particular way, with results they expect. Going from Vista to Windows 10 will be a pretty huge jump, so be prepared for a lot of "where is this? how do I do this thing that I used to do?" questions.

Also, talk to them to make sure that what you're doing for them is something they actually want done. Maybe instead of a whole new machine, make the one they have currently peppier with some more ram, an upgraded CPU and an SSD.

Talk to your mom and find out exactly what she does with the machine, and think about how what you want to do will impact that

Comment

He can also do an image of the OS

Comment

Would vista even work on a 6100 lol

Comment

Great advice guys thanks! I'm not super old 32 my moms only 53 so no grannies here.... well she is a grandma!

Comment

Working...
          X