Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Labs Magnum M8: need info. CL owners, get in here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Labs Magnum M8: need info. CL owners, get in here!

I posted this over on OCN, but I know there are some Case Labs guys here too (ahem, Snef)!

I'm considering ordering a Case Labs Magnum M8 double wide case. I was previously considering a Corsair 900D (like a lot of us), but I might cancel my order since I can't get a bloody ETA on the thing (not even a GUESS). Plus, I misread the 900D's specs and didn't realize just how LONG that thing is! I should have known since it's 120.4 friendly, but I had a brain fart and missed it. A case that long will not fit on my desk nicely. Also, I'd have to wait, and patience is for suckers without ADD/OCD.

So I'm looking at Case Labs cubes now, and the Magnum M8 caught my eyes (all 3 of them). That case is super sexy time to me, as I've never had a cube! But the options are overwhelming to me. So many options, so few dollars. I need help! This is the system that will be transplanted into it:

Asus Rampage IV Gene (which should look silly small in this beast!)
    Radeon 7950
    2 x 120GB SSDs
    4 x 1TB 3.5" HDDs
    1 optical drive
    XSPC dual 5.25 bay reservoir with dual D5 pumps
    XSPC EX360 radiator
    XSPC EX140 radiator (likely won't go in the M8, replaced with another 360)
    Corsair AX750 gold power supply
    1 x FrozenQ 250mm tube reservoir

Now onto the questions I have:

1) can I mount all 6 drives in the Magnum M8 without needing additional hardware? Or do I need the SSD mounting kit?

2) I want to add 1 or 2 more 360s to my loop (overkill is underrated). Most likely THICK 360s, a la Monstas, while retaining my current EX360. If you run 3 x 360s, 2 of them being Monstas, how does that change the HDD mounting options? Mounting opinions / placement recommendations GLADLY welcomed!

3) If you mount a 360 rad to the front of the cube, do you need an additional 120.3 mounting bracket?

4) If you mount a 360 rad to the front of the cube, I assume you lose the HDD mount cage (judging by case pics)?

5) Do you need additional mounting hardware for running 360s on top or bottom?

6) Do you save much on shipping by getting it flat-packed instead of assembled? Money is a factor, as I work for a national police force, so I can't supplement my income by selling crack.

7) What "noob pitfalls" have others experienced (ie regrets on stuff they WISH they had ordered)? I'm Canadian, so shipping is going to cost an arm and a leg (and possibly a testicle).

8) what the hell are flex bay mounts and why do I need them? DO I need them?

9) If I order a black/white 2-tone case, do I get a free bag of Oreo cookies?

Cost is a factor folks, so I'd like to keep this as cost-effective as possible. I'd like to get another 7950 into the rig too, so gotta pinch some pennies, sort of. smile.gif Any assistance is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help!

Bart

Hey Bart!

Regarding question #6, technically you could as long as you don't get caught!
    Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

HI

i will try to answer at best i can

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
      I posted this over on OCN, but I know there are some Case Labs guys here too (ahem, Snef)!

I'm considering ordering a Case Labs Magnum M8 double wide case. I was previously considering a Corsair 900D (like a lot of us), but I might cancel my order since I can't get a bloody ETA on the thing (not even a GUESS). Plus, I misread the 900D's specs and didn't realize just how LONG that thing is! I should have known since it's 120.4 friendly, but I had a brain fart and missed it. A case that long will not fit on my desk nicely. Also, I'd have to wait, and patience is for suckers without ADD/OCD.

So I'm looking at Case Labs cubes now, and the Magnum M8 caught my eyes (all 3 of them). That case is super sexy time to me, as I've never had a cube! But the options are overwhelming to me. So many options, so few dollars. I need help! This is the system that will be transplanted into it:

Asus Rampage IV Gene (which should look silly small in this beast!)
      Radeon 7950
      2 x 120GB SSDs
      4 x 1TB 3.5" HDDs
      1 optical drive
      XSPC dual 5.25 bay reservoir with dual D5 pumps
      XSPC EX360 radiator
      XSPC EX140 radiator (likely won't go in the M8, replaced with another 360)
      Corsair AX750 gold power supply
      1 x FrozenQ 250mm tube reservoir

Now onto the questions I have:

1) can I mount all 6 drives in the Magnum M8 without needing additional hardware? Or do I need the SSD mounting kit?
      no, need 2 drive cage MAC-101(one is include with case) and 1 ssd bracket MAC-322 (support 2 ssd) if you want to mount these on PSU side, but you can order a flex-bay Hdd cage MAC-102, if you ahve more than one cage on PSU side you loose one 360 emplacement

2) I want to add 1 or 2 more 360s to my loop (overkill is underrated). Most likely THICK 360s, a la Monstas, while retaining my current EX360. If you run 3 x 360s, 2 of them being Monstas, how does that change the HDD mounting options? Mounting opinions / placement recommendations GLADLY welcomed!
      how will be your fan setup, push and pull or only push or pull?
      on motherboard side, you cant mount a monsta rad with push and pull, top clearance is 100mm, monsta+push=105mm, maybe fit on some motherboard
      iuf you keep your EX360 on Motherboard side on top with push and pull, ad a MAC-102 for SSD and HDD on motherboard side
      you can mount 2 x Monsta 360 on PSU side and mount the included HDD mount on this side

3) If you mount a 360 rad to the front of the cube, do you need an additional 120.3 mounting bracket?
      yes, MAC-162, but you loose the ability to mount 360rad on tp and bottom, only 240 rad, its not a good option,

4) If you mount a 360 rad to the front of the cube, I assume you lose the HDD mount cage (judging by case pics)?
      yes, youre right, on M8, front rad are not a good option

5) Do you need additional mounting hardware for running 360s on top or bottom?
      NO

6) Do you save much on shipping by getting it flat-packed instead of assembled? Money is a factor, as I work for a national police force, so I can't supplement my income by selling crack.
      lolllll. M8 dont have Flat packet option at moment when i bought it, if its available now, yes, i save 50$ on my SM8 order last week

7) What "noob pitfalls" have others experienced (ie regrets on stuff they WISH they had ordered)? I'm Canadian, so shipping is going to cost an arm and a leg (and possibly a testicle).
      yes for your XSPC res: Flex-Bay 5.25 Device Mount - Short HD Anti-Vibration MAC-204 and if you have a fan controller Flex-Bay 5.25 Device Mount - Short Adjustable MAC-213

8) what the hell are flex bay mounts and why do I need them? DO I need them?
      you already have it if you order a caselab case, its not an item but a modular system mount for 5.25 bay, look DAZMODE youtube video, you will see what is flex bay

9) If I order a black/white 2-tone case, do I get a free bag of Oreo cookies?
      hahahahha no but you need to receive it in tuxedo

Cost is a factor folks, so I'd like to keep this as cost-effective as possible. I'd like to get another 7950 into the rig too, so gotta pinch some pennies, sort of. smile.gif Any assistance is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help!

Bart
      Last edited by snef; 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks Snef, that's GREAT info!! You're the man, merci monsieur!

Comment

Getting closer!!

Comment

Question: should I get an extended top since I'm considering thick rads? I'm wondering how much space there will be to run cables through the top motherboard grommets if I put a thick rad on the other side.

Comment

Can't really speak to this particular model so I'll defer to the experts here.

Comment

I'm asking questions all over the place on OCN too. Might pull the trigger VERY soon and join your very exclusive Case Labs club!

Comment

I just toke some pics with my phone, give me a couple of minute and I will post it

Edit:

sorry for the pic but no time to do a correct setup
                  I have 63mm rad with push setup but I took pics with 2 fan to simulate push and pull

for sure a MonstaRad will not fit with push and pull but 63mm rad will fit

this is the distance between grommet and rad/fan, more than enough

this is with 63mm Rad with push and pull, still a lot of space

this is level of the fan with push and pull

tho only reason with I don't put push and pull on top is with push and pull the rad and fan going down to low in the XL windows of caselabs and its ugly
                  Last edited by snef; 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

OMG Snef, that's awesome! But the grommet question was for the backside of the motherboard. My description was awful. But since it's the same on both sides, that really helps a LOT! I was thinking about putting 2 Monsta 360s behind the motherboard tray, top and bottom. Thanks for being so awesome!

Comment

Ahhhhh
                      Ok
                      Its just little bit smaller but no problem to run cable into gromet with monstarad but run cable first
                      It will more easy this way

Comment

Working...
                      X