From novice build to extreme!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From novice build to extreme!

Hey all! I'm sorta new around here, but I'm glad that the only Canadian watercooling store has, from what I see, a great community

Anyways, My current system is pretty basic. Just a simple Double 120mm rad with dual pumps for the CPU only (3930k build On a BigBang Xpower II)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	976349_10151665954376064_1747568832_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	79365

I'm parting this PC out for the most part. Motherboard and CPU are sold to a friend of mine in Oregon, and everything else (Maybe?) is carrying over to my next build. My next build is going to consist of some pretty epic parts.

First off, The case is a Corsair 900D. I currently have it back-ordered and am awaiting delivery. Motherboard is going to be the new ROG Maximus VI Formula (Yay built in water block!) with an i7 4770k (which is currently sitting on my desk attracting my eye every hour or so). I currently have 8x4gb Dimms of G.Skill 1866 Ram, which I'm "hoping" ends up being compatible with my new board so I can just carry 4 dimms over and not have to worry about anything else. Those are two 680s that you see in the picture, which I've already spoken to Daz about, I'm just waiting on the new order of waterblocks to come in and I'll be ordering them. Now, my plan is to have two separate loops (Mostly for aesthetics/nostalgia). The CPU and Mosfet cooler will be on one loop with a 360 or 420 Rad at the top, and the GPUs will be on another loop cooled via 480 Rad in the bottom of the case. I know these rads are overkill, but I want this to be a quiet build, considering how loud my current one is. Storage in this computer, for now, are 2x60gb Vertex 4 SSDs in RAID 0 as a boot drive, 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm also in RAID 0 for storage, and an extra 750gb that I used prior to buying the second RAID. Lastly, my PSU is the EVGA NEX1500.

Now for the questions;

I'm sure all you experts noticed right off the bat that I have no drain for my loop (Rookie mistake ). I have the basic understanding of how to accomplish a fill/drain system, but I do have one question: What size drill bit should I use to add one of these(4, Actually): https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...ugh_connector/

Next question is, by using that drain port, do you think it's possible to attach the drain to the bottom port of the 480 Rad via an in-line T(This is the best example I could find https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...nnect_adapter/ ), since this will be the lowest point, or will I need to add a splitter and relocate it somewhere strictly for clearance?

Third Question: Fan controllers. How can I best utilize a single fan controller to power all the fans? I don't plan on doing push/pull, so it'll be 7 fans total for the rads. Can I put the 4 fans for the 480 on one channel and the three from the 360/420 on (Which would you suggest by the way?) another? If yes, which controller is best equipped to handle such a setup?

Forth Question! Almost done. Daz might remember thinking I was crazy if he handled my order, but I ordered 4 Bottles of Feser One Pure, thinking I'd keep it on hand so I could flush my system regularly, not realizing that I'd decide on a new build so soon. I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you guys think there's a good color scheme that clear fluid would work in? I wanted to go Black/Red, but I'm unsure of how to utilize clear fluid in a red build, without using solid-red color tubing of course. I'm open for suggestions and I'm not afraid of buying more fluid, even though this stuff is just going to sit here for a year or so until I find a use for it.

Last question! Tube reservoirs! Can the fill port (From the rad) pour into the top of the tube reservoir if the res is not 100% full, or would this cause a lot of bubbles in the system? I figure it's probably best to use the top ports for filling anyways, but I figured it was worth asking!

So, lay it on me. Any tips and advice and criticism is much appreciated and won't be overlooked.

Also; if anybody is interested in any parts that I have feel free to ask, I don't mind selling them and upgrading (Hint hint GTX 780)

Edit: Don't know if this is normal or if it's just for new members, but my posts require approval via admin, so I'm sorry I haven't responded yet!
    Last edited by Relikar; 06-08-2013, 07:03 PM.

What parts do you have ?? lolx

Comment

if your going to drill holes they need to be 13/16 for those bits power pass through fittings. since I didn't have any bits that big, I just got step bit, http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_11970.jpg if you don't know what they are.

cant see from the picture where your reservoir is, next time take more then 1 picture, with the room lights on. So I m not sure how bleed air and top up your system. but you should check out daz's how to fill your loop video, if it doesn't answer your questions you should get a better idea from what you see.

as far as fan controllers go it depends on the power draw of your fans and how much output the controller can handle. other then that just daisy chain them to 1 channel.

I would prefer to have my tube reservoir vertical with inlet and outlet at the bottom with a fill at the top. this makes it catch all the air bubbles at the top of the tube for easy topping up. with your inlet and outlet at the bottom and sub merged you wouldn't need to worry about water coming out of your loop even if you have a bunch of fluid above the reservoir.
      Last edited by Prophet of Entropy; 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coldbloded View Post
        What parts do you have ?? lolx
        In my possession?

2 Koolance DDC Pumps

1 Koolance Drive Bay Dual Res (The one that mounts the DDC pumps)

Handful of Barbs and Right angle compression fittings

8 Sticks of 4GB DDR3 1866 G.Skill RAM

i7 4770k

Rosewell Blackhawk-Ultra case (Converted to all blue (save the 230mm which is white) fans)

EVGA NEX1500 PSU w/ 10 Year Warranty (Doubt it's transferable since it's registered in my name)

2 OCZ Vertex 4 60GB SSDs

2 Western Digital Caviare Black 1TB HDDs

1 (I think Seagate) 7200 RPM 750GB HDD

1 Rosewell Extreme 750 Watt PSU

3x 230mm Red LED Fans (Pulled them out of this case along with 3 Plain black 140mm Fans and 2 120mm Red LED Fans)

1 OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 750 Watt PSU (Not sure if I have all the connectors thought! Although they were pretty ugly to begin with..)

if your going to drill holes they need to be 13/16 for those bits power pass through fittings. since I didn't have any bits that big, I just got step bit, http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_11970.jpg if you don't know what they are.
        Are you sure? That seems a little big for those fittings. I'll take your word for it though, I assume you've used them in the past.

cant see from the picture where your reservoir is, next time take more then 1 picture, with the room lights on. So I m not sure how bleed air and top up your system. but you should check out daz's how to fill your loop video, if it doesn't answer your questions you should get a better idea from what you see.

Name:	cam00028ca.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	75443

I've just been filling through the top ports, although I'm not quite sure how that refers to my question What I meant is for the continuous loop, could it go from the Rad and cycle back into the res through the top port? Basically creating a continuous pouring/waterfall effect within the tube reservoir that I plan on using.

as far as fan controllers go it depends on the power draw of your fans and how much output the controller can handle. other then that just daisy chain them to 1 channel.
        So daisy chaining 4 fans onto 1 channel is possible but not guaranteed to work, and 2 per channel would be safer?

Comment

Well I typed out a huge reply and it's awaiting approval from mods so I hope it gets approved soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Relikar View Post
            Well I typed out a huge reply and it's awaiting approval from mods so I hope it gets approved soon!
            sorry ... was watching a movie.
            HAF932 Mods
            C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
              sorry ... was watching a movie.
              No problem. Just out of curiosity, why was it flagged? Something in my posts that I should avoid doing to prevent future flags?

Comment

No problem. Just out of curiosity, why was it flagged? Something in my posts that I should avoid doing to prevent future flags?
                helps us tell yer not a bot. should go away soon.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                  helps us tell yer not a bot. should go away soon.
                  I figured as much. Thanks for clearing my post Bung!

Comment

to the Daz mania Why did you sell that BBXP2 setup? Did you get the chance to ballz to the wallz that beast? Been shopping around for a new x79 mb that can rip a black hole into space .
                    "Casper B!"
                    I7 3820 semi-k l Asus/Gigabyte R4E/X79-UP4 l 4x4gb Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133 l 2xGigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC l Asus Xonar DSX l Seasonic X1250 l XSPC D5/Daz D5 Vario l EX360 in p/p+2xCoolstream XTX 480 p/p/p l 2x560 AC Monsta p/p l 2xEK Uni-GPU Block Acetal l 2xBitfenix Recon 3D fan controller l Switch 810 matte black l
                    50' Panasonic Viera Plasma ST50 l 7.1 Pioneer A/V Reciever l f@h 4 the future

Comment

Originally posted by Addicted2Rad View Post
                      to the Daz mania Why did you sell that BBXP2 setup? Did you get the chance to ballz to the wallz that beast? Been shopping around for a new x79 mb that can rip a black hole into space .
                      Highest I got was 4.7ghz before one of the PCIE slots wacked out on me and wouldn't display activity/temperatures in any monitoring software for which ever card I put in that slot (which is why I've got them side by side in that picture) the card still performs great though with just one running in the glitchy slot. My friend in Oregon bought it off me because he doesn't care about monitoring or OCing. Also, MSI had me flash the bios when the PCIE slot buggered up, ever since then I haven't been able to get it stable above stock clocks, even after flashing back to the original version. I'd suggest you wait for the EVGA Dark if you want a new board

Also, I've decided on a black/white rig for my build. But, I'm unsure of how it'll look with the new Maximus VI Formula Board. What do you guys think? Will the red accents effect the look too much and should I paint the armor White? I plan on doing white LED fans throughout, clear tubing, white LED accents on all rads/blocks, and Ice Dragon fluid. I'd add pictures put that image tool is being a little tempermental for me tonight.
                      Last edited by Relikar; 06-10-2013, 01:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Highest I got was 4.7ghz before one of the PCIE slots wacked out on me and wouldn't display activity/temperatures in any monitoring software for which ever card I put in that slot (which is why I've got them side by side in that picture) the card still performs great though with just one running in the glitchy slot. My friend in Oregon bought it off me because he doesn't care about monitoring or OCing. Also, MSI had me flash the bios when the PCIE slot buggered up, ever since then I haven't been able to get it stable above stock clocks, even after flashing back to the original version. I'd suggest you wait for the EVGA Dark if you want a new board

Also, I've decided on a black/white rig for my build. But, I'm unsure of how it'll look with the new Maximus VI Formula Board. What do you guys think? Will the red accents effect the look too much and should I paint the armor White? I plan on doing white LED fans throughout, clear tubing, white LED accents on all rads/blocks, and Ice Dragon fluid. I'd add pictures put that image tool is being a little tempermental for me tonight.
                        Thanks, might wait it out for a bit like you suggested. But those clowns at evga also have their own issues. One thing is that I never had an msi mb through out my oc'ing career I'd like to try their product before they dissappear with the likes of dfi, abit etc... Lets see if asus revise the r4e, to have more power on their cpu vrm area. So the cpu can be pushed really hard with p95 avx without it throttling or resorting to half baked stress testing looping 17++fft which mostly put a load to the imc/nb.

Those white leds would look really nice on your setup, assuming everyone including myself are sporting the blue theme Paint the red accent on the mb white
                        "Casper B!"
                        I7 3820 semi-k l Asus/Gigabyte R4E/X79-UP4 l 4x4gb Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133 l 2xGigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC l Asus Xonar DSX l Seasonic X1250 l XSPC D5/Daz D5 Vario l EX360 in p/p+2xCoolstream XTX 480 p/p/p l 2x560 AC Monsta p/p l 2xEK Uni-GPU Block Acetal l 2xBitfenix Recon 3D fan controller l Switch 810 matte black l
                        50' Panasonic Viera Plasma ST50 l 7.1 Pioneer A/V Reciever l f@h 4 the future

Comment

I ran a tube res for almost a year filling from the top. It will cause a lot of waterfall noise and bubbles. I'd only recommend filling from the top if you install a fill line. (Even then, it took about a week of topping it up to get them all out).

Comment

Actually filling from the bottom with a vent at the top is the best way without question ! Depending on your loop configuration you may have to tilt your case at different angles to get trapped air out no matter how you fill it.
                            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Alrighty then, guess I'll be filling from the bottom. Thanks guys!

Also, I just placed a huuuuge order from Daz(Even though paypal wouldn't let me do direct transfer and I have to wait 8 days for an e-cheque). The highlight of the order would have to be the GTX 680 Razor blocks though. Except, I noticed, XSPC doesn't make backplaters for them Anybody know what the deal is there? Any chance of my EVGA Backplates working with that block?

And lastly, I was looking at the 900D last night and realized I'm going to have to do some case modding.

Name:	900D.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	75448

See where those two reservoirs are? I plan on doing the same thing, but I'll be using the Bitspower Top/Res combo
                              https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...n_tinted_tube/

There's no actual metal directly underneath the reservoirs so I'll have to rig something. Any ideas?
                              Last edited by Relikar; 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Working...
                              X