X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post - Radiator Sizing

Hey all,

Long time fan, first time poster. Question is italicized below

Just a quick question of a "yes" or "no" category. I've bolded the crux of my question below

I have the following:

1 Core I5 3570K @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.30 volts
    1 Set of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Red 8GB kit 1.50v at 1866 mhz (2x4GB DIMMs)
    2 EVGA GTX Titans with custom voltage BIOS on them for higher boost speeds
    1 OCZ Octane 512GB SSD
    1 WD Black 2.5" 750GB mechanical drive
    1 Corsair AX760I case with red sleeved cable kit from Corsair

1 Cooler Master N200 case, modified/dremel-ized to support a 240mm slim radiator up top with pretty silver aluminum mesh. I also drilled holes in the bottom the bottom where I removed the drive cage to move the reservoir/pump to a space where the cards are not covering it. The pump has a foam Home Depot "decoupler" and is held in by a combo of 1 inch 6-32 screws and some nuts to stabilize the bolts/screws. The pump at full load is very quiet with the case open and inaudible with the case closed. Only noise I heard was a swishing noise when I was (air) bleeding the loop. Back and forth, rock-a-bye baby.

If this build is satisfactory I will put a window in the case and not run the side panel fan.

The loop is running very well, no leaks and it's using 7/16 tubing bought from Daz (as well as most of the rest).

Titans plus CPU pull about 600 watts from the wall if all are going 100% using folding@home (1 "slot for each client), factoring in PSU efficiency of 85% I get 500 watts from the PSU. At this time the Titans stayed in the 40 degree range (45-46) and the non-delidded 3570K was in the 60s. If I de-lid it will go down at least ten celsius as I have done this before (twice) and seen the benefit. I also have the EK "naked precision" mounting kit for the EK water block for this if I do de-lid.

Question is if an EX240 (pull) and an RX240 (push) are enough? I'm running Corsair SP120 fans on the top EX240 in pull and Silverstone AP121 in push on the front. Mostly showing 1500 - 1800 in the BIOS, and this is not that loud for me. I plan on installing the temp sensor I bought from Daz to see what water temps are at the reservoir soon. All fans are pulling in fresh air from the outside.

The couple times I tested this my room heated up too much and was probably in the 28-30 degree range after a couple of hours, but I plan to put this build in the basement when the room is built down there and it should be a big 18x12 room.

Alternatively if this is not good enough, I have two Koolance 2x140mm rads in a modified Corsair 350D waiting for this hardware set-up. I'm hoping THIS would be sufficient.

Sorry if this is TL;DR but I just wanted to ask the WC pros around here, and that includes YOU Daz.

Thanks!
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Equivalent of quad radiator for 3 components is more that adequate in my books.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

I have a build log coming for an M-ITX Bitfenix Prodigy edition coming.

Mostly Daz purchased parts, which is unsurprising considering how much I've spent over the past two months hehehe.

Cheers, and thanks!
      DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

10e

sounds like enough rad to me

killer setup lookin forward to seeing it

Comment

yeah i agree that should be enough and the corsair SP are good fans. if you wand to squezz more of the radiator get gaskets and shrouds if you have the space for it
          Orange GT Build
          Orange V8 GT Build
          Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

All is good 2 x 240 is fine !
            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

So far so good.

I can't use the Corsair fans on the top radiator properly if I connect them to the PWM CPU fan headers, as they don't throttle down at all, so I moved them out and put in some Enermax T.B. Vegas fans which work well.

Under full load the CPU doesn't go past 70 celsius at 4.6 Ghz and the GPUs don't go past 42 celsius under 100% load at 1.1 Ghz.

I spent a significant amount of time this weekend connecting Dazmode purchased 7/16 XSPC Flex Red UV hose to 1/2" barbs withOUT using clamps and even when the system is fully heated, no leaks and bleeding out the air worked out well. Unfortunately my fingers bled a little brute forcing the system together, but I'll live

Thanks for the help all. I'll post a photo of it sometime tonight. It's a very small case and it's a bit cramped but it looks pretty snazzy with the Corsair red power wires and super swell red LED fans.

Comment

10e: so you followed the Tiny Tom Logan method. I'm curious to see pics, as I've been using compression fittings since I got into water. Very curious to see how much "cleaner" this barb-with-no-clamps method looks.

Comment

Hey Kid.... MOAR PICS!!
                  HAF932 Mods
                  C70 Mods

Comment

Time to post pictures
                    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                    Venom Build: Build Log,
                    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                    Orange Build: Final Video
                    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Here y'all go:

I know this isn't the proper sub-forum for photos but here they are:

I actually read about the 7/16 tubing with the 1/2 barbs from HardwareCanucks.com's forums. A user named Sushi Warrior mentioned this can be done. I know that i don't like using those herbie clips to keep tubing on because I've already had a dubious experience with those.

The Cooler Master N200 case is light but rigid, but with the somewhat thin metal, my Dremel went through like butter. The stock top fan mount is 140mm but it's sunken into the case by a couple of millimeters, so I wanted to eliminate it and get at least a 255 mm long space to give a 240mm radiator exhaust/intake space. Theoretically an EX360 should fit, but with the rivets in the back and some folded metal intrusion for the I/O shield, this didn't work out, as the case needs 4-5 mm extra length to facilitate, and the EX360 is the shortest triple 120mm radiator out there except for the Admirals, but they are 75mm thick which won't work due to limited top space.

The top panel was then painted using plasti-dip, which is a matte coating, but I then used the Glossifier to make it closer to the factory finish. I needed to do this as the Dremel vibrated against the top a bit during the cutting and left some undesirable marks. I'm no HanoverFist yet so Plasti-dip is the easy way. Much like a vinyl coating, it can be peeled off if the finish is flawed or the color not what I want.

The UV light is going to leave. No need for it as it causes the red piping to look orange (yuck). This is a typical red build, but I have a couple of blue/green ones coming. I only did red because of the red LED light strip on the motherboard. I prefer green though.

The Corsair fans are out front in a pull configuration and doing a great job at 1100 - 1300 rpm. The speed throttling works well with the fans on the case/chassis fan headers. The top one seems to have a bit of a whine going though. The Enermax TB Vegas Trio fans are up top. These fans are somewhat under-rated in general. I especially like the red/green/blue LEDs for custom lighting and they look amazing IMHO.

I know my office is a mess. Wife is not happy with me

Side view. I scratched my RX240 but the fins are in great shape

The side panel will get a window put in.

Top View. Very happy with the dremel cuts, they are very straight. If I do paint the mesh it will be red.

EX240 is underneath here pushed towards the left to allow space for RAM and VRM sinks on the mobo:

Underneath the top view:

Front view, just fans really. Unfortunately one looks weird because of the short wires Corsair includes with these things. And yes, the weight of the radiator is slightly bending the case. The 5.25 drive cage has had the rivets drilled out, but I might try and put it back in to hold a fan controller or some form of faceplate for a temperature sensor display. The nice part about this case is that the mesh front panel would allow putting something behind it that is lit, and due to its transparency I should be able to theoretically read the numbers, but not sure about an LCD version, I might have to find an LED style temp sensor display.

Last edited by 10e; 10-08-2013, 02:29 PM. Reason: Underneath not under NEAT. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by 10e View Post
                        I know this isn't the proper sub-forum for photos but here they are...
                        pfft... like we care! THanks for the PRON.

She's sure pretty. Dual Titans.... drool!!
                        HAF932 Mods
                        C70 Mods

Comment

yeah Clash of the Titans

bet the framerates in farmville are awesome

Comment

We just had a discussion about waterblock for TITAN over at Overclock.net here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1363440/n...#post_20947335

:/ EK does better job at VRM cooling over Swiftech/EVGA blocks if you plan to overclock them like crazy. 1.212v+ for 1250Mhz+
                            X79 | 3930k 4.803Ghz | 16GB Samsung 30nm 2227Mhz | GTX TITAN 1255Mhz | Corsair 600T | OC.Net

Comment

thats quite a wide spread on waterblocks wow

some companies didn't do there homework 30 degrees difference=fail

Comment

Working...
                              X