LED Wiring and Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Wiring and Power Consumption

Not computer related, but I know you guys know a lot more about LEDs than I do so I'm hoping you can help.

Basically I found this: http://image.trucktrend.com/f/featur...right-side.jpg

I'm in the market to be buying a new truck sometime soon and that back rack with the LED light bar caught my eye and I REALLY want to make one if and when I do buy my truck.

I found these: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-cob-led/1255/

I'm thinking 2700 Lumen LEDs would do a great job of lighting up any road I find myself on at night, but my question is, how many can I safely use without pushing my alternator too far?

Also, if you've got a better LED source to suggest I'm all ears. Keep in mind though that they need to be very strong for automotive use I would probably just wire them up so they come on when ever my high beams are on. I'm not sure at all what the regular power consumption of a truck is, but most people say an alternator can put out ~1200 Watts before inefficiencies, so even if I dedicate a 1/4 of that to LED power, that's only 10 LEDs. That doesn't sound right to me though?

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys! I'll be toying around in SketchUp to see if I can get a nice design made up for the next little while and I'll check back often.

Sounds as interesting project, but I can not help with any ideas.

If you will do that indeed, keep work log with pictures!
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

This is what I've got so far for a design.

I can't get the rails to work properly in SketchUp

Edit: From what I found online, the average headlight for a vehicle puts out 900 Lumens, and with the current design I could fit in 11 lights @ 2700 Lumens each. I feel bad for anybody who flashes their highbeams in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
      X