Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :stuck: Build a motherboard tray? :stuck:

Hey all!

So I've been doing a little googling... and I found a few articles on how to "build your own motherboard tray (atx 12"x9.6")." I just wanted to if anyone had any experience doing it and wouldn't mind sharing a few tips as I'll be attempting this within the next week or so using a 1/16" thick aluminium sheet...

I've also got a few spares motherboard trays lying around but I'd prefer to make my current project a genuine "scratch build".

Thank for your help in advance!
    Last edited by GoatHornz; 11-26-2013, 02:35 AM.

I have no experience with such things sorry.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

You should probably be able to find a template for ATX hole locations (the most important part) somewhere. If not use a known ATX motherboard to mark off hole locations to drill.

Get a jig saw that uses a T-Shank, which is the most common type/cheapest blade. An 18 TPI metal blade like a Bosch 118a works well. I use these for thin acrylic and steel/aluminum.

You can also use a table saw but if you don't already have one they can be expensive for a decent model, as well as more expensive blades. The jig saw is what you'd use to cut the aluminum to size/shape. You can use a Dremel but that will take longer and requires more precision and practice to get nearly straight lines.

You'll also need some metal files to file down and straighten the sharp edges after you've cut metal, otherwise you will bleed profusely.

You'll also need a drill with a few 1/8" bits to drill holes that can be used for 6-32 screws. 6-32 screws are usually what mobo standoffs use, as well as PCI slot cover screws, 3.5" hard disks, etc... I say a few drill bits because your standard drill bits dull quickly cutting through aluminum or steel.

To get straight lines with a jig saw your best bet is to have a proper work bench or work surface, and at least two C-Clamps and a right angle iron or piece of aluminum. The piece of angle iron gets clamped to the table with the aluminum sheet in between to hold it down. Use the angle iron/aluminum as a guide for the jig saw to get straight cuts. You generally "offset" the fence (right angle piece) the width of the jig saw's platform to get your line in the right place. This takes some practice. You should also make sure your clamps put pressure on the angle iron above the actual aluminum or the angle iron might bend a little bit and your cut might be a little off (ie. it won't be straight).

Most standoffs are 6-32 so you should get a tap set to create 6-32 threads in the aluminum so that they screw in easy. You can sometimes get away without using these and just using a 1/8" drill bit to drill the holes and slowly and carefully screwing in a stainless steel 6-32 screw to create a semblance of usable threads. Just make sure it's going in at exactly 90 degrees to the aluminum or you can end up with a slightly off/crooked hole or threads.

Steel is generally preferred to use for a tray though, but aluminum is better in one way in that it's more rigid and less likely to bend under the stress of a jigsaw.

If you're creating the I/O retainer frame where the I/O shield goes in you'll need something to bend the metal to a 90 degree angle to the tray. This will be more difficult with aluminum because it is more rigid and less bend-friendly than steel.

Is this going into a case or just for a test bench type scenario?

Hope that helps.
      DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Thanks 10e!

I've never attempted a scratch build before but i'm fairly confident it can be done! I should be fine for tools, bits, and material... but i wouldn't mind a lathe if anyone would like to donate ...

The project I have started is a case that I am building from scratch, like your regular desktop case but on steroids (24"x24"x13"). I'll also be doing a few different things that I haven't seen before so I hope it turns out as imagined.

In regard to the I/O shield, I've been experimenting a little with bending the aluminum by heating it with a mapp torch but had no luck with it. I'm just going to abandon that plan and grab an old I/O shield I've got laying around to save me the headache.

I did manage to found a few motherboard templates and measured mine to make sure that they were both the same. I'll do a little bit of cutting tonight and see what i can come up with.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the screw sizes! I wasn't quite sure which ones the motherboard risers were!

Comment

Hi Goat. Can't wait to see this action mod!
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

I hope to have it done if less than a month. Its just a pain in the rear end to take photos of the build while working...

Comment

If you want to do something fun, make one of these.

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.ca/201...-way-with.html

Comment

In terms of metal benders there is a place called busybeetools.com that has those.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...INI-30IN..html This is for the 30 inch version, but they have a smaller 18-inch version as well.

The I/O shield you can cut from another tray and then drill some 1/8 holes in it and use 6-32 screws to secure it, or you can get rivets and a rivet gun from the Deepot of the Holmes.

I love rivets because they allow me to completely dismantle cases, do stupid things to them and then re-assemble without worrying about screws, washers and nuts.

Good luck!
                DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by SeeThruHead View Post
                  If you want to do something fun, make one of these.

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.ca/201...-way-with.html

I built an extractor for when im soldering in a tin about the size of the amp they built in that article running on a 12v battery like theirs. I like the way they designed their wood computer. They even broke out the micrometer!

Originally posted by 10e View Post
                  In terms of metal benders there is a place called busybeetools.com that has those.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...INI-30IN..html This is for the 30 inch version, but they have a smaller 18-inch version as well.

The I/O shield you can cut from another tray and then drill some 1/8 holes in it and use 6-32 screws to secure it, or you can get rivets and a rivet gun from the Deepot of the Holmes.

I love rivets because they allow me to completely dismantle cases, do stupid things to them and then re-assemble without worrying about screws, washers and nuts.

Good luck!

That's actually really affordable! I sketched up my own design for one of those years ago. I used rollers in my design to create a curve/smooth bend that can be adjusted. I never got around to building it but I'm sure they'll have something on that website! I'll look into it 10e!

Comment

Working...
                  X