Galvanic corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanic corrosion

So while planning my new build i stumbled across an old danger den fillport that I thought about using as a drain. I just noticed its anodized aluminum. How much do you think this would affect the loop since the drain line isnt really in the path of water flow. I suppose worst case scenario is the fillport will corrode before the copper parts would. Thoughts?

Also would it be fine to attach the drain to one of the outputs on the xspc gpu block as that will be the lowest point in my loop, or should i use a t line?

fill ports are cheap enough, if you're worried, buy a new one.
    that said, I would prolly use it... does it look there's already corrosions?
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

Don't do it. Remember who pays twice at the end...
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
        fill ports are cheap enough, if you're worried, buy a new one.
        that said, I would prolly use it... does it look there's already corrosions?
        Its a brand new fillport. Maybe I will use it as an actual fillport as it will be above the liquid level

Comment

As a fillport above the water it will be fine. Aluminum even if anodized should not be immersed in the loops of a copper or nickel-type system. If there is even a tiny nick in the anodization the galvanic erosion of the aluminum will be accelerated and have the same bad result. I'm sure Daz has a small fillport with plug in his store that you could use.
          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Yeah i know. I seem to be buying things one piece at a time and the shipping is killing me. I suppose if i was more organized i would save a bunch of money.

Comment

yep... but you're not the first guy to have that issue
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                Don't do it. Remember who pays twice at the end...
                I agree with Daz on this. Dont do it. Not worth the grief if things go south.

Originally posted by sl1982 View Post
                Yeah i know. I seem to be buying things one piece at a time and the shipping is killing me. I suppose if i was more organized i would save a bunch of money.
                Ha ha. Seems to be the theme of all my water builds. Because of this, I had to eat a lot of shipping on client machines. Eats up profit real quick. I always forget something, or change configuration after fittings are purchased.

Comment

If you want to use the fill port and are worried about it, drop some Ethylene Glycol into your coolant mix...10%-15% should do the trick. Glycol is often mixed into coolant (mostly for engines) where corrosion is an issue and mixed metals are used for different parts of the cooling loop. I use about 10% in all my loops....up to 30% in the loops where I'm using TEC's and my temps can get around or below freezing.

Comment

No need if it above the water line.
                    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Working...
                    X