Lapping IHS and Waterblock Bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapping IHS and Waterblock Bases

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I have seen many posts of the subject on other forums about waterblocks I would never consider buying.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for current-gen components (build quality/is it worthwhile?/difference in temps)? I know the dies on most processors are a fraction of the surface area of IHSs, so is concavity or convexity a pro or con? Would mounting pressure help more without voiding my warranty?

Just looking for a little input from a performance perspective!
    http://grabcad.com/mike.baschuk

Blocks are already polished. I would rather use Indigo Extreme other that polishing.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Actually a very good question, most IHS covers have a slight curve in them. Reasoning is that the pressure of block or air cooler will compress the top of IHS to make for a better contact to the die. That being said, it is always better to start off with a premium TIM solution. Ivy's and Haswell both benefit to high degree if you have the balls to delid the IHS completely or even replacing the TIM between the die and the IHS with again a high quality TIM. Latter can see a 7-15 degree improvement. Be careful with excess mounting pressure as you can actually bend the pins in the cpu mount.
      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

ya, delid FTW. especially now that EK has the Naked Heatsink adapter.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

I guess I have some thinking to do lol
          http://grabcad.com/mike.baschuk

Comment

Working...
          X