Wiring LEDs to a fan's PCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring LEDs to a fan's PCB

I've got a few fans I've purchased on eBay, discontinued Cooler Master UV Silent 120mm fans, and I'm thinking of wiring UV LEDs to the fans' PCBs.

The frame itself has four holes where it looks like LEDs would fit (probably used same mold from an LED model) and the PCB has four spots where it looks like one could solder the LED wires.

Does anybody know if it's possible to convert these fans to LED fans?

Also, do you know the voltages of the terminals? I can figure that part out myself (I have a digital multi-meter) but if you know that would be greatly appreciated

I could use an external source to power the LEDs, but as the holes are in the arms of the hub (not on the round frame like a lot of LED fans today), I can't figure out how I could make the wires look good and keep them out of the way.

Hopefully I was clear in my explanation.

Thanks in advance!

Cannot help with this one.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I found this tutorial on another site...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=200959

this guy makes it look pretty messy... perhaps his first try.
      but the results are pretty cool.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that tutorial a while ago. I agree, it looks great but very messy. I'm hoping to avoid that route

The fans' housings are translucent so I'm hoping to minimize unsightly wires and messes if I can. And I'm not really wanting to drill holes in the housing since there are already holes in the thin pieces of plastic that connect the fan hub to the outer edge of the housing housing.

The following is a picture of an 80mm fan but it illustrates where the LED holes are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	41aAiBEGE6L._SS500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	75891

Comment

It looks like it can't be done.

These two pics show the back of the fan with the placement of the LED holes and the exposed PCB terminals.

Name:	fan1.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	75892

Name:	fan2.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	75893

This is the front. Despite having labels for each LED, there are no wires attached to the terminals on the other side.

Name:	fan3.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	75894

And after a quick test with the digital multimeter, I was disheartened to learn that there is no power going to these terminals at the back.

Name:	fan4.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	75895

Name:	fan5.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	75896

Looks like the simplest solution is to use an external source to power the LEDs. I have a Bitspower hub that can power LEDs with and without a resistor, but I'm going to have to figure out a way to hide the cables coming from the hub. Maybe I'll try to find some transparent sheath wire like Cooler Master uses for the leads.

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X