Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS X399-E VRM liquid Cooler question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS X399-E VRM liquid Cooler question??

I recently bought a 'HEATKILLER® MB-X VRM ASUS X399 - ACRYL Ni', watercool.de product 11564 - unfortunately Daz didn't have any at the time so I had to buy elsewhere, almost feel like I cheated on my wife lol, anyway it is for my ASUS Strix X399-E motherboard and although I haven't taken the board apart completely yet, the stock cooler looks like it's actually cooling in 2 sections being one area to the top of the CPU socket where this VRM waterblock goes and another area to the left of the CPU socket and I was wondering if I need 2 of these units or if the part/chips of the stock VRM cooler that are to the left of the CPU isn't really cooling anything?

Ill have to look further when I get it apart but might see if I can separate the heat pipe from the stock cooler and keep the part to the left of the CPU socket in place as I think there are chips there that its cooling as well. I may be completely wrong but that is also why Im asking here so hopefully someone with far more knowledge will chime in

Thanks in advance,
    -dave

Never mind I found the information I was looking for.

Comment

Hey dknourek, Did you end up getting another block?
      The SLOB : A 3570K Build
      Down & Out : A 2600K Build
      V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

No I talked to heatkiller direct and the ASUS X399-E Strix just needs the one VRM block. On the stock cooler the part to the left of the CPU does not cool any components directly, its just for heat dissipation from the heat pipe carrying the heat from the VRM at the top to the end of the heat pipe and fins on the left.

Comment

Hope to see some of the surgery in your build log

Comment

Thanks, I might start a new one as I bought a new case (Thermaltake Level 20 GT) and doing a complete rebuild from the ground up with all new water cooling gear If I get a chance Ill post the specs and what not in the old or new build log.

Comment

wattermain , started roughing in all the parts tonight, completely disassembled the motherboard and cleaned everything thoroughly and now have both of my Heatkiller blocks mounted which the VRM one went far easier than anticipated lol. Also glad I did this as there is a plate on the back side of the board that also has a thermal pad on it and it was not installed correctly from the factory as the chips on the back were maybe covered 5% by the thermal pad, so hopefully that helps the thermals a tad when I get this beast running again Ill attach a couple teaser photos
              -dave

Comment

That is one good looking set of blocks. Hoping you'll do a build log of this one.

Comment

I was on the fence as to weather I was going to do a build log but I might anyway. there will be an initial build and then after xmas Ill probably do a part 2 and tear it down and do all the fine details and fix anything that didn't work right the first time.
                  I already changed my mind on what I was originally going to do and placed a new order with Daz yesterday and hopefully the new parts will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately though Ill have limited time this weekend as I am busy with things not computer related that I cant get out of lol.
                  -Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X