Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vardar vs. Gentle Typhoon

Hey there,

Currently looking at doing an all AMD build with the next gen AMD parts and I want to start picking up parts as I can so it looks less like sticker shock when I buy the actual computer parts this Christmas (last PC my girlfriend nearly freaked with both PC and water stuff on the CC at the same time lol).

My question is simple (I think): Between the Vardar and Typhoon which is better for a medium to think rad? Thinking I'm going with something around 40 to 45mm thick (potentially the Darkside Medium). I've never really understood pressure measurements on fans but what little I do know leads me to think the Vardar's are likely better with their higher CFM. Is this correct? Is there a big enough benefit between the 2 to spend the extra amount? Aesthetics is somewhat important in my build, which kinda puts the Typhoons back a bit in my mind but I'm willing to try and make them work if they are the better overall choice price and performance wise.

Any help in figuring this out is appreciated!

Thanks!

There really isn't much to separate the two in my experience, with the GTs having a bit more of a gentle (No pun intended) sound than the Vardars at equivalent RPMs, but I find the Vardars cool well enough at slightly lower RPMs.

So either way you get a good fan, I just don't know if the Vardars are worth the extra money unless you want the white ones, or the sleeved fan cable is important to you.
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

I see. Thanks for the knowledge.

Personally I like the sleeved cables. I have a couple GTs myself and them not coming pre-sleeved was somewhat annoying. Good fans in my experience but it was something I'd have been willing to pay a bit extra for out of the box. Otherwise the GTs, to me, have a less nice look. The screw in the center being exposed being one of the main things. In my O11 Dynamic those would show clearly unless I mounted the fans in the secondary compartment and the rad in the front, which wasn't my hopeful plan.

Thanks though for the response! It's good to hear they are both good, a buddy of mine just put GTs in his order on my recommendation.

Comment

I personally like GT looks and performance, but i'm old school.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I wish the Varder came in a 140mm RGB version...

Comment

I would suggest you look at the true successor to the GT, the Noctua A12x25 (140mm coming and black color also) and if your on budget, the Artic BionIX P/F 120 (also comes in 140 variant too). I would not buy the Varder nor Gentle Typhoon at this point.

The difference between the Noctua and the Artic is that the Artic is not as quiet as the Noctua. The other consideration is the color of the Noctua fans, the Artic has an colored ring option like the SP120 had. If your getting the Artic Bionix Route, I suggest you go through Amazon.com, its the best place to buy them. They are like 13USD a fan and amazon shipping is pretty affordable and includes GST/HST. The Noctua are only sold on Amazon.ca or Newegg.ca but they are like 40 dollars per fan.

The big advantage with them is the sound acoustic are much lower. The sound level to run an Gentle Typhoon at 1400rpm is equivalent to running an A12x25 at 1600-1700rpm. That and they are PWM fans.
            Last edited by section31; 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I looked at the Noctuas but over all the ones I've owned I dunno if I ever found them fully worth it compared to others. But at this point, I'd likely go GT if I didn't have the ascetic want, but at this point the group I'm working on this build with wants to go RGB fans so I guess we'll continue the Corsair branding and go with ML120 Pros in the build. My friends build is still going GTs though as he wants a "stealth" build.

Comment

The Noctua are overpriced I won't deny. The new fan basically were basically an copy of the Gentle Typhoon but with Noctua coloring and Noctua quality. I tried the Corsair ML120 Pros Single Color LED and RGB myself and I don't really like them either. If I wanted RGB fans, I rather stick with Lian Li Bora's. I also found the Corsair Commander to be more hassle cabling wise and consumes more space than the lianli controller. Also, the Lian Li Bora have higher rpm for RGB fans (1800 vs 1600rpm). However, RGB fans are generally lacking for radiator usage.

Lot depends on which GT model and setup you have, if you have the 1400-1800RPM model, they are pretty competitive today. If you have the GT2150 (I did), then that's different story. The good news is that if your Gentle Typhoon every stop working, you know there are alternatives out in the market now.

Comment

The Boras look nice, but after my last experiences with Mobo based lighting systems Corsair's system seems a lot more manageable. I'll handle the cabling, I know it's not gonna be easy of great, but it is at least a bit more cohesive it seems.

Also it seems like there's not a good place to buy the Boras? At least I can't find one in Canada. I found BoraLites but they are technically worse all around than the ML120 Pro RGB and much worse than the ML120 Pro (static colour). I like the GTs technically, I just wish they looked better for my build. I don't need crazy good fans as my rad layout should be already "too much".

Comment

In reality if I feel I need more fan power I'd move to a push/pull config with a thinner side rad (O11D). I was gonna max that rad's thickness to the most I could put in there, but as I said, I think a thick rad and a thinner one at the top plus the ML120s will be enough I think.

Comment

For plain Black fans I personally like using NZXT 140mm AER-P fans, they are decently priced and are very good at moving air through radiators. I have a number of different fans including Noctua, Arctic, Coolermaster, NZXT, Corsair and Fractal Design here, and have run tests of my own, in my own cases and radiators and found the NZXT to be surprisingly good and especially for the price, which comparable fans are usually double the price. Just my two cents

For RGB I have only tried NZXT, Corsair, Coolermaster and Thermaltake and I run push pull on most of my render slaves as I want/need a lot of air moving through them. For the most part I use Corsair LL series, but mainly for looks than anything and run the NZXT AER-P fans opposite them, and the commander uses a lot of space but I like the control over the LED's that it gives me. My other render slaves run the NZXT AER-RGB fans with AER-P fans opposite those and those configs move a surprisingly large amount of air, and I run that config mainly for cooling performance as Im not big a fan (no pun intended) of the way the NZXT RGB fans look but they are good for my render slaves

Comment

I looked up Noctua A12x25 specification vs detailed production specification for GT 2150RPM that comes directly from Nidec Servo (Japan) which is major corporation and unlikely will push any noncense in manufacturing contract.

So we have almost ideantical nine-blade fans: 2000rpm and 2150rpm to compare:

Air Flow: Noctua 102,1 m³/h - GT 105 m³/h - as expected little more for faster fan
                        Static pressure: Noctua 2,34 mm H₂O - GT 2,845 mm H₂O - similar too

Noise: 22db vs 34db -- this is huge diffrence. My only partial explanation is GT ball bearing vs oil sleeve on Noctua or they do different measurement methods. GT measured 25cm away from fan. Noctua does not specify...can be a meter away.

Comment

Daz, There is an youtube video and an review that had in their testing an gentle typhoon 1850/2150rpm model. The reviews results were the fan noise was greatly lower but cooling was same to slightly lower than the gentle typhoon at same rpm. The big difference occurred when it was at higher rpm's (say 2000rpm). Here is the review

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/n...nf-a12x25-pwm/

Comment

I did some testing between Vardar/GT/Noctua. Stay tuned for YouTube Video.

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                              I did some testing between Vardar/GT/Noctua. Stay tuned for YouTube Video.
                              Nice, looking forward to watching that one!

Comment

Working...
                              X