cpu ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu ?

Where does everyone buy there cpu's, my 4770k sucks, looking for the best chance buy in toronto area guess i5 4670k be best bet for my gaming rig, no? Usually just buy them from cc.
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

If you are going to replace the 4770K with a 4670K, it is going to suck harder. Why does it suck? It out performs the 4670K in every way but price, and you already own it. The only reason I would buy the i5 over the i7 is cost. No other reason.

Comment

Performance is not my problem its the heat when overclocking, price is not a concern.
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

try de-lidding and replace the TIM

would drop temps alot and cheap mod

Comment

Idino. I would stick with the 4770k. Reviews say the 4770K overclocks slightly better anyways. What are you clocking it to and at what voltage? I dont think you will see much gain if any at all between the two. If you were looking to bump up to S2011, that would be different. Unless somebody gave me the i5, I wouldnt change. Try different TIM or water block. Much cheaper. MX-2 TIM works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
            try de-lidding and replace the TIM

would drop temps alot and cheap mod
            Same issue with my 3570k , i would thread lightly de-lidding isn't for the faint of heart.
            Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
            Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Ya neked cpu and new supreme block may be the way to go
              Blackout
              Something-New
              Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

think deliding is the way to go on this cpu, is ok temps at 4.5 anything above runs the cpu way to hot making it too the threshold np. If I toast thecpu deliding then is a good reason to get a new one.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

What overclock do you seek, and what OC have you gotten and what were the volts and temperatures?

I have a 4770K that sucks, and I've had two that didn't. The one that sucks needs 1.35 volts for 4.4Ghz overclock and even with de-lidding still hits over 90 celsius on the high heat Prime95 tests. I'm running this one at 4.2Ghz because I don't have any more time to mess with it nowadays, and it seriously is not worth the effort any more with this chip.

The one that didn't SUCK did 4.4 at 1.20 volts, but without de-lidding, still went up to the 85 celsius mark on Prime95. They both suck power too. My Kill-a-watt shows a Micro ATX Asus Gryphon with no video card and just SSD using 224(!!!!!!!!!) watts of power on the crappy one and 190 watts on the "good" one.

The third I haven't fully tested yet, but I'll update because it might go in my main build.

By way of comparison I've had two 3770Ks that reached 4.7ghz and up with and without de-lidding showing 70 celsius or less core temps, use only 150 watts of power total at worst in OC, and use only 1.30-1.35 volts for 4.8 ghz and up. In fact my current one is undervolted by 0.02 volt negative offset at 4.3 - 4.4 ghz without issues and only hitting low 60s.

So if you really want, I'd even go as far as suggesting a platform change down to z77. 4770K and 4670K are both luck of the draw and it's a 50/50 chance you will end up with a worse chip after replacing.

At the end of the day you might want to wait for those newer editions from Intel with the improved TIM application/integrated heat spreader setup to at least guarantee you can get temperatures in check at some level.

Otherwise, Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge-E will be very likely better than Hasbeen. The only reason I use Hasbeen right now is mostly for Mini ITX build because no X79 boards exist in this form-factor.
                  DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

I just switched to dual core - perfect for me to drive around on Facebook
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

If heat is your problem you should improve the cooling... not change the CPU.

If price is irrelevant and your stuck on changing the CPU then... you should be looking at a 4930k/4960x and board to match. Picked up a 4930k for light map baking in the office and it will be work at 100% usage across all cores for 40-60 with the horrible OEM intel cooler. Temperatures will peek at 80'c on the cores but hold there, probably drop to <70'c just by ditching that horrible heatsink and replacing it with anything of remote quality. That same baking cycles at home on my 1100T OC'ed as far as I could push it and I don't think i broke 30'c with an overboard cooler.
                      Corsair 800D
                      2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
                      Software Developer

Comment

Working...
                      X