Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with First Time Liquid Build

Hey everyone,

Recently I've picked up two XFX R9 290X cards, the black OC editions, and have been running into heat issues with the stock air cooling in my case. I knew this was going to happen, but during my planning stages before picking up these cards I ended up getting a little overwhelmed and now I am looking for some assistance with the planning and parts selection to ensure my first liquid build isn't my last.

Current setup is this
    Original HAF 932 case (they didn't come with the reservoir, though were designed for one)
    32 GB RAM (though I don't think I'll do liquid cooling on these, but that's still up for debate)
    Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB hdd (only one, might go two in the future and stripe/RAID0 them for additional performance)
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX r2.0
    AMD FX-8150
    Two XFX 29 290X Black OC (R9-290X-EDBD)
    Corsair RM-850 PSU (Will be upgraded to at least 1000 W as I'm pulling 750~780 W from my UPS while playing DX11 games)

As mentioned above, I am using the stock cooling, so the three 230mm fans for intake (even the top, to produce a positive air pressure inside) and the 140mm as exhaust. I have a few ideas, like replacing the top fan and front fan with rads, with a reservoir in between, going to the CPU first and then to the cards, running parallel as I'm sure running them in series will defeat the purpose of using liquid on the second card.

I have done some research and it looks like the cards are based off the reference design so I think I am able to go with the EK-FC R9-290X block (according to EK's configurator), so I just want to double check that this block will fit, if anyone has experience putting liquid on this card, and what other pieces will I need for this.

The case could change in the future as well, as I'm interested in the HAF Stacker as it's customizable, though comments on this case and other suggestions are welcome as well.

I'm not really sure on the size of tubing I'll be looking for, colour of liquid, cathods or other lighting, etc. as that will come as I come close to finalizing the parts list.

Thanks in advanced for any help and advice provided!

PS, I'll be glad to get rid of that glowing XFX logo, as it kills the vibe in my case already.
    Last edited by LiQuiD DiGitZ; 05-08-2014, 03:10 AM.

LiQuiD DiGitZ

932 is a great case for watercooling triple on the top and a double onto the hard drive cages worked great for me

Comment

Yes guy! HAF932. I modded it just like Father Fuzzy.
      find my build log here for help: shameless self promo

but IMO, if you're thinking of switching up the case.
      wait out till you can get the Phanteks ENTHO PRO buddy. look at it. love it!

Someone else take up the GPU inquire plz?
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
        LiQuiD DiGitZ

932 is a great case for watercooling triple on the top and a double onto the hard drive cages worked great for me
        Thanks for the warm welcome here Father Fuzzy. That's actually what I was thinking of, but then considered leading the pump into the CPU, and then have the CPU lead to a small rad on the back of the case and then have that go into the GPU.

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
        Yes guy! HAF932. I modded it just like Father Fuzzy.
        find my build log here for help: shameless self promo

but IMO, if you're thinking of switching up the case.
        wait out till you can get the Phanteks ENTHO PRO buddy. look at it. love it!

Someone else take up the GPU inquire plz?
        The Phanteks Enthoo Pro was one of the chassis I was considering, though I didn't like the idea of it being plastic and would prefer a full metal case. I've been leaning towards Cooler Master or Thermal Take due to the style of the cases, they have that sci-fi/android look to them that I'm thinking of going for.

I was checking out the mod you performed by removing the HDD cage and I am considering a similar mod for the additional airflow, though it changes the look inside the case when the door is off.

Speaking to a few of the distributors, like NCIX and Memory Express (here in Edmonton) it's been a low stock card everywhere as they've never anticipated on it being a high seller so they aren't a very common card; so I'm not anticipating on a response anytime soon, but I've been surprised before.

Comment

HAF was one of my first WC builds way back. Still good case IMHO. drilled hole for triple on the bottom, but top worked better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Build142.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	76085

Name:	DSC08364.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	76086
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

That was version 1

Name:	WCB_96.jpg
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	76087
            Last edited by DazMode; 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Oh ya! I almost forgot that you could top mount the PSU. Smart Daz.
              pretty much the 932 was the original "I'm making my first WC build" chassis.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Yeah, everyone I've looked the HAF932 continually comes up as the first time mod case.

As no one has responded regarding the XFX 290X Black OC cards I have been doing some research. There is one report on Overclocks where someone had this card, though it was just the double dissipation one and not stock overclocked, that used the XSPC 290x block (reference) without issues. An email has been sent to XFX for clarification as well, since they have been tight lipped.

Placing shots of this card and the reference card together, it looks like the reference blocks should work, just would suck to pick up two blocks to find out they don't fit.

Trying to plan out the first portion of the build, the cable sleeving will come eventually

EK-DCP-4.0 for the pump
                EK-DCP 4.0 X-RES reservoir, may change since it sounds like it may be fairly small
                EK-FC R9-290X (Rev.2.0) + matching back plate

Rads are going to be a triple 120 (top), a double 120 (front) and then a single 140 (back), thinking all EK-CoolStream RAD XTX

Fans, thinking of going Scythe Slip Stream, because of the noise level, though I'm not sure if they'll have enough pressure or flow to cool the EK XTX rads, so any suggestions on that are also welcome.

going with 1/2"-3/4" tubing, solid black (why not)
                Fittings are still up in the air (either black or charcoal/grey), as I was going to try scheme my colors off my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, though it's hard to find tubing and fittings that make it stand out

Some of the products I'm looking at and deciding on are not in stock on here. Is there any way to find out when everything will come in?

Comment

Working...
                X