No announcement yet.

Questions regarding number of pumps/reservoirs and order of items in the loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding number of pumps/reservoirs and order of items in the loop

Hey again, a few more questions from the resident noob regarding pumps, reservoirs and loop order.

I am looking at going dual pump, due to having redundancy but I am also wondering if it's absolutely necessary. My plan was to go with the EKWB - EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 (incl. pump), mostly out of the ease of having all the right stuff, and looks like the pump should be strong enough by itself, but since I have going for the EK CoolStream PE 240 and 360 rads, two GPU blocks and a CPU block I am wondering about the pressure/flow through all this. Will a single pump be okay, or should I go up to two pumps?

Question about the loop is what is the best way to loop everything in. Would there be a problem to have two pumps being supplied by the same reservoir, with the pumps running in series to the entire loop, or in parallel to separate loops for the CPU and the GPUs? As for the loop, is it best to go to the rad after the devices or will going from the rad to the device make much difference in how much heat is pulled from the GPU/CPU?

Last bit, is if two pumps are used, should they be put into the loop in series, one directly after another, or should one lead to GPU and then one to CPU and have the loop setup where it goes pump/res -> GPU -> large rad -> pump/res -> CPU -> smaller rad.

Thanks in advanced for helping out this noob with some information

Good thinking on the redundancy factor... but it is just that - redundant.

For the loop you describe, a single D5 will be very adequate.

For the directionality of your loop, it is only necessary to have the Rez feed the pump.
    From there, you can do what ever, most of us choose an aesthetically pleasing loop.
    also, there is no benefit to cooling from going block rad block rad.

if you choose to go with two pumps though a single, serial loop is all you can accomplish with only one rez.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...etal_version_/

Click image for larger version

Name:	BP-D5TOPUK250P-BKBKCL--1024X768-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	76090

two pumps and two rez however, and you've got yourself two loops.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

2 pumps in parallel without check valves means if one fails the other pump can force liquid backwards through the dead pump and around as it may be the path of lowest resistance eliminating the benefits of redundancy.
      Corsair 800D
      2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
      Software Developer

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick reply to this inquiry!

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
        Good thinking on the redundancy factor... but it is just that - redundant.

For the loop you describe, a single D5 will be very adequate.

For the directionality of your loop, it is only necessary to have the Rez feed the pump.
        From there, you can do what ever, most of us choose an aesthetically pleasing loop.
        also, there is no benefit to cooling from going block rad block rad.

if you choose to go with two pumps though a single, serial loop is all you can accomplish with only one rez.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...etal_version_/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2461[/ATTACH]

two pumps and two rez however, and you've got yourself two loops.
        Definitely good to hear that direction really doesn't matter. I kept hearing that the liquid should hit the source first and then the rad for best heat dissipation, though there haven't been concrete numbers regarding this wives tale.

Originally posted by Izerous View Post
        2 pumps in parallel without check valves means if one fails the other pump can force liquid backwards through the dead pump and around as it may be the path of lowest resistance eliminating the benefits of redundancy.
        Definitely a good piece of information. Wasn't thinking of the feedback that would be generated on the line if one of the pumps died.

I'll stick with one pump for now, and if I really need a second one it'll at least be a somewhat easy addition. Now, time to plan the loop so it will look at least half-decent.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

High Five Sir. now show us the ... you-know-whats
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
            High Five Sir. now show us the ... you-know-whats
            Now, that's assuming there's something to show -_^

I haven't picked up a piece yet, still working on a shopping list. To make life easy I'm looking at doing the bulk, if not all, my ordering from Daz; the list is just about compiled. Just trying to decide on the color scheme, and if I want flex or rigid tubing.

Comment

Hi,

Like Bunwirez said, only 1 D5 will be more than enough...to give you some examples, one of my rigs runs a cpu block, 2 gpu block, 2 360 radiators and 2 480 radiators on a single D5 without any issues. And I'm currently finishing another one with one cpu block, one ram block, 3 gpu blocks and 4 360 radiators also on a single D5.

As for the loop order, except the simple rule of having the reservoir feeding the pump, the rest of the loop order isn't that important since the temperature variations aren't that big at the entrance of a block vs at the exit of it. Maybe a few degrees but nothing critical.

In the past, I did used to put a radiator between the main parts (cpu and gpu's) of my loops but in the build i'm finishing, it was more difficult to achieve without sacrificing the aesthetic...so from the exit of the pump I go to all my components then into all my radiators and back into the reservoir. I don't expect any issues with this setup

In conclusion, I would stick with one D5 and after that you build your loop the way you better like from your point of view
              Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
              Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
              Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
              Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
              Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
              Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Working...
              X