Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drroooool at that setup. Someday I'll get a nice gsync monitor. Only upgraded to 1080p 60 this year, oof.

Comment

• Todays deal: Free code for Quake:Champions.

Got it free with my cpu, don't play those kinds of games. PM me for code.

Code has been claimed.
      Last edited by Necrodead; 12-10-2017, 12:01 AM.
      My Imgur

Comment

• Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini for $790. Essentially the same price as most 1070s:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814932009

Comment

• Its cute...
          Blackout
          Something-New
          Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
            Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini for $790. Essentially the same price as most 1070s:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814932009
            eww tempting. I think I'll wait though for next gen.

Comment

• So small!
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

• Get it for your wife. Guaranteed to fit inside her purse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
                  Get it for your wife. Guaranteed to fit inside her purse.
                  Her purse is full. trust me. already rammed full of chick stuff.
                  HAF932 Mods
                  C70 Mods

Comment

• GTX price drops in effect

but will it get lower? is it even fair?
                    HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

• Yeah Bungz I saw that as well. I suppose its better than it was but when was the last time you paid launch price for a card that was almost 2 years old?

Although I predict gpu prices are going to drop soon due to not being very profitable at mining anymore. Its possible nvidia is trying to get a few more sales before the market gets flooded with used cards.
                      My Imgur

Comment

• Unlikely. Current trend is pointing straight up. I'm afraid we are living in a post "normal GPU price" world. The mining will always be around because GPUs are the best tools for that task.

Comment

• I don't want to sound like a jerk ( I just like the discussion) but ASIC miners are much better than gpus for mining. It will only be a matter of time before every currency has ASICs on the network. Combine that with simply more people on the network with difficulty increasing, meaning less profit per card. In my area people have been starting to list their mining rigs with much more frequency, which would indicate to me that these people are not making the profit they were, combined with more gpus on e-tailers shelves, (they aren't making more they are selling less) and lower prices online as well. Would all indicate a current downward trend in mining, and maybe gpu mining will never go away, but it will either reach an equilibrium soon, or gpu mining will become not profitable anymore leading to a huge influx of used cards. Even if mining stays around, I think its past the point of "I'll buy 1000x gpus and open a mining farm" because it could take too long to make that money back and no guarantee that you even would. So we are probably at a point where only people who are putting together small mining rigs for themselves personally, which never had the effect of mining farms on gpu prices.

I agree we are now living in the "post "normal GPU price" world" but I don't see gpu prices going up from here is all I was saying.
                          My Imgur

Comment

• Not every crypto currency can be mined with ASICs. Ethereum, for example is ASIC resistant and although companies like Bitmain have released "ASIC"s for Ethereum, they are nothing more than several stripped GPUs with beefed up video memory in a box. The end result is that they are still having a parasitic effect on the GPU market as they are buying their chips directly from Nvidia and/or AMD.

The other thing to consider is that ASICs are still SoCs and require a foundry to manufacture, and foundries are extremely expensive to build and operate and have limited output capabilities. We are at a point that regular silicon (CPUs, and GPUs) are competing with ASICs for foundry time and that alone drives the price up for the consumers.

Regarding difficulty spike and less efficient mining as a result, it takes time for prices to adjust, but whenever the difficulty increases, the price of that particular crypto currency jumps as well because of the simple fact that it is now harder to mine and obtain, and just like any other commodity, if something is harder to get, the value will rise.

Comment

• HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

• Ah okay Cyclops. Good points to consider, especially considering I didn't even think of ASICs requiring a silicon chip as well. Trying to learn about this stuff has been annoying since a lot of people online just post opinions, lol.

I know that some currencys have become non-profitable to mine on gpu's, and I'm not entirely sure of how crypto gets its value, but I think there is a limit on amount of coins that can be mined, so the difficulty would eventually catch up to value of the coins? Or do only some cryptos have limits on number of coins?
                                People could always go mine a new currency, but there would be a point when there are so many different coins that new ones just aren't going to matter. Presumably.
                                Really interested to see what does end up happening to crypto/gpus and such.
                                My Imgur

Comment

Working...
                                X