Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel’s Ivy Bridge-E Processor Scheduled For September 2013 Release

Source: http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/p...-2013-release/

For those waiting for Intel’s higher end CPUs, news has just surfaced regarding the release of the Ivy Bridge-E processors. It seems that the launch has been targeted for September 2013 according to sources and Tech site VR-Zone has released a leaked slide from the folks in Santa Clara that narrows down the dates according to product.

In the chart we see that the new HEDT (High End Desktop) CPUs will be the 17-4820K, i7-4930K and finally the top dog the i7-4960X. Ivy Bridge-E CPUs are based off the 22nm lithography and are a Die shrink of the Sandy Bridge-E processors. One thing of note and merit is that these new CPUs will work in the current LGA-2011 socket meaning you will not need a new motherboard just to run the new CPUs.

As far as rumored performance goes, from what has been leaked it looks as if these new CPUs will be obviously faster and we see the Core i7-4960X is stated to be around 5-10 percent faster across the board than the i7 3970X. Hopefully though we will see some of the new power benefits as well that Ivy Bridge brought, but the main thing is just new life in their CPU lineup.

Also performance gains are 100% improvements in efficiency, as the core count has not changed in the new E series. VR-Zone also reported that the top tier i7-4960X actually contains 20MB of L3 cache and eight cores, but has one-fourth of its resources disabled for the consumer version of the product. A full eight-core/20MB cache processor will be sold under the Xeon brand, but will undoubtedly go for a much higher price than $999.

Intel has always been a leader in the High-End CPU department and their products usually gain a robust price tag as well meaning that if Intel still decides to adopt the same pricing structure as SB-E then pricing should be around $1000, $600, and $300-350. The new roadmap show features such a 40 PCI-Express lanes (Gen 3.0) DDR3 1866MHz support, Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost 2.0.

All three CPUs come unlocked right out of the box for extensive overclocking and tinkering. With this news also comes new regarding Intel’s latest Haswell release and the Haswell-E HEDT platform Code Named “ Lituya Bay “. Haswell-E is slated for a first half of 2015 release and will be based on its namesake 22nm architecture and will remain compatible with socket 2011 motherboards something Intel has done since the early days of the PC.

There will however be a motherboard refresh though that allows the use of DDR4 memory to give users that upgrade path if they so desire it. I am happy as a clam with my Sandy Bridge i7 3960X as it does everything I need it too so for me this is cool new, but for 10% I think I will stay in this platform for a bit longer. How about you folks, does this seem like great news, or are you satisfied with what you have as well? Thanks for reading Tech OF Tomorrow, where your voice has a place and we love to see your interaction in the comments section below, Peace.

Source: Tech Spot

cool, i think i will stick to my 3820. this is still good news, if they punch a 10% performance ncrease over there previous version. so glad to hear that they are sticking to the 2011 socket, makes me fell bether about my investment. maybe if i find someone that would buy my 3820 i could go for a K cpu. my spouce would kill me though
    Orange GT Build
    Orange V8 GT Build
    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Originally posted by MRDcanadian View Post
      cool, i think i will stick to my 3820. this is still good news, if they punch a 10% performance ncrease over there previous version. so glad to hear that they are sticking to the 2011 socket, makes me fell bether about my investment. maybe if i find someone that would buy my 3820 i could go for a K cpu. my spouce would kill me though
      I'm with you. My 3820 will do me fine for a quite a long time. Plus if we don't have to upgrade motherboards next time around, that's awesome! I like to get as much life out of motherboards as possible, since I tend to buy semi-high-end Asus boards. Those aren't cheap to replace!

Comment

Welcome Jaggy!

Nice find. I'm starting to suffer from CPU Envy. I'm still running a pair of 1156 socket CPU's.
        Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Originally posted by scaccima View Post
          Welcome Jaggy!

Nice find. I'm starting to suffer from CPU Envy. I'm still running a pair of 1156 socket CPU's.
          Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm actually ordering my socket 2011 mobo right now. I wanted to wait for the 4930k, but since intel is keeping the socket alive for awhile further.. (at least 2014-2015). I'm sold on it. The only real advantage to the 4930k vs 3930k will be the higher multiplier and PCI3.0 as well as DDR3-1866mhz default speed (instead of 1600mhz).

I considered Haswell Z87 setup, but I don't think intel is going to keep the socket alive long enough to make it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by scaccima View Post
            Welcome Jaggy!

if you need a spare 1156 cpu i have one sitting in a box, the pins on the motherboard where bent and i replace the whole thing instead of Trying (key word trying) to replace the motherboard at that time.
            Orange GT Build
            Orange V8 GT Build
            Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

if you need a spare 1156 cpu i have one sitting in a box, the pins on the motherboard where bent and i replace the whole thing instead of Trying (key word trying) to replace the motherboard at that time.
              What type of CPU is it MRD? I'm currently running a Core i5 760 and a Core i7 870.
              Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

it's an I5 750. didn't bother to replace the mobo because the mobo where as expensive as newer model at the time and very hard to find. also i was stuck on sata 2 with some ssd that where not being used to there full potential.
                Orange GT Build
                Orange V8 GT Build
                Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Thanks for the offer, I'm fine ! I'm currently running an I7-2600k on P8P67 Deluxe. I just ordered an Asus P9X79-E WS board with an I7-3930k.

Comment

it's an I5 750. didn't bother to replace the mobo because the mobo where as expensive as newer model at the time and very hard to find. also i was stuck on sata 2 with some ssd that where not being used to there full potential.
                    That's my biggest issue with socket 1156 - no SATA III support. I do have a SATA II SSD and windows 7 (64 bit) boots up incredibly fast.

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference in boot times between SATA II and SATA III...
                    Mario

Comment

not as dramatic as going from hdd to sdd sata II. wouldn't recommend you to make a switch just for that honestly.
                      Orange GT Build
                      Orange V8 GT Build
                      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

I'm happy with my rigs as the are. I would rather upgrade for additional cores (and threads) and the added horsepower that comes with that than just for SATA II support.
                        Mario

Comment

Working...
                        X