how to calculate the amp in a electronic device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to calculate the amp in a electronic device

not sure if anyone here is familiar with multimeters but i have an old amprobe ACD-14 that i took out the closet. i would need to calculate the amp coming out of a DC current to know how to convert the molex 12v amp to the device i would like to use. my other device also is on 12v but i know the amps my power supply outputs on molex rail is way more then my component need and is sensitive. it's been years i haven't use these or work with current calculation so any recommendation is appreciate.
    Orange GT Build
    Orange V8 GT Build
    Ice Phoenix Build

Originally posted by MRDcanadian View Post
    not sure if anyone here is familiar with multimeters but i have an old amprobe ACD-14 that i took out the closet. i would need to calculate the amp coming out of a DC current to know how to convert the molex 12v amp to the device i would like to use. my other device also is on 12v but i know the amps my power supply outputs on molex rail is way more then my component need and is sensitive. it's been years i haven't use these or work with current calculation so any recommendation is appreciate.
    First off the "device" will only draw what it needs from the 12 volt rail, only problem arises when power needed exceeds capability of psu rail. Without all parameters it is just conjecture at this point, so you would have to give all the specifications to get some idea. IE. psu, rail capacity and TDP of device. Gotta hit the sack, can answer back in morning
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

from my understanding then of what you explained gdesmo, the voltage is the only thing that can cause damage to the components if to excessive or low? in that's the case then my thing will be a breeze. it's for the feet mod i am doing also the RGB LED strips i bought. they both work on 12v but the amp is very low on the neon.
      Orange GT Build
      Orange V8 GT Build
      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

forgot to add that if you don't have enough current it may also damage the device to my understanding
        Orange GT Build
        Orange V8 GT Build
        Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Think of SSD's. Their power draw is extremely low, but they're on the same line as regular sata drives. Your lights will be fine as long as you match the voltage correctly

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
            First off the "device" will only draw what it needs from the 12 volt rail, only problem arises when power needed exceeds capability of psu rail. Without all parameters it is just conjecture at this point, so you would have to give all the specifications to get some idea. IE. psu, rail capacity and TDP of device. Gotta hit the sack, can answer back in morning
            Originally posted by Relikar View Post
            Think of SSD's. Their power draw is extremely low, but they're on the same line as regular sata drives. Your lights will be fine as long as you match the voltage correctly
            thanks guys, one of the other reason i wanted to do that was to test the Amp from the pins on the bitspower LED station as it isn't in the specs. I was hoping to save on molex cables by maximizing on that station. so if i now how to use a meter to calculate the DC amp then i can test the station and the light to see if the station will be enough current to power them.
            Orange GT Build
            Orange V8 GT Build
            Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Wouldnt the total amperage be that of the rail where you're drawing power from?

Comment

if on a molex then yes from my understanding but from the bits power led station, not 100% sure. the voltage would be ok on the "with resistor led" connections but still not sure how much that thing can push as for current from a 2 pin. I don't have the unit yet so it's not possible for me to test and i found online that my multimeter can only do AC current calculations up to 400a with the clip. one of the site where they sell the flex neon claim it's 1000ma for the whole 5M. anyhow i may just use molex instead if i can't get an answer no biggy
                Orange GT Build
                Orange V8 GT Build
                Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

I don't think you have anything to worry about honestly. Your PSU will not overload any of the components, and if the draw is too much, it should trigger an over-volt fail safe and shut itself off to prevent damage.

I doubt the bitspower hub will restrict you at all. What PSU do you have, anyways?

Comment

You know MRD, it would be a lot simpler if you told us exactly what you want to put on the station and go from there.
                    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                      You know MRD, it would be a lot simpler if you told us exactly what you want to put on the station and go from there.
                      flex neon Click image for larger version

Name:	flexible-neon-wire-illumination.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	75630 and RGB LED strips Click image for larger version

Name:	IP66-Waterproof-5M-SMD-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-300-LED-DC-12V-72W-Controller.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	75631. i would like to know if i can plug it on a bitspower LED station Click image for larger version

Name:	db_file_img_4240_800xauto.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	75632
                      Orange GT Build
                      Orange V8 GT Build
                      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

As long as the voltage is the same you will not have any problems they do not draw much power (current, amps). Station should be able to handle about 80 watts -- 12 volts and 7 amps give or take 1 amp. Rope takes extremely small amounts of power and strip not that much unless you plan on using the whole roll of it, if so you will not be able to plug anything else in.

Comment

hey MRD, where you sourcing the LED strips? I'm looking for very bendy orange to put inside fans. Darkside LED's are great and bright, but not bendy enough.
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

well seams like the seller i saw was talking about the inverter box he was selling with is flex neon kit (that i dont have). the actual neon works on 90 to 120VAC. i'll have to find an inverter somewhere
                            Orange GT Build
                            Orange V8 GT Build
                            Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Working...
                            X