X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This project don't need a name. First custom loop

Hey everyone,

Introduction
    I used AIO watercooling for a long time and now it's time to go custom loop!

For now I'm only going to watercool the CPU. I don't think my 660 ti worth watercooling.

Spec
    CPU: i7 4790k with a small OC of 4.2ghz @1.070v (will OC it to 4.4-4.6ghz once watercooled)
    Current cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    GPU: Asus GTX 660 ti
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb
    SSD: 256GB AData SX900
    Storage: 2TB WD black
    PSU: Corsair AX850 (overkilled, but my old one stopped working so I decided to get a more powerfull one to be able to upgrade my GPU)
    Case: Corsair 550D

Watercooling
    I'm trying to get the best price possible so some parts will be used. (Thanks to HWC and dazmode forum members)

CPU waterblock: used EK supreme LT nickel plated, should receive it next week (thanks Xilikon @ HWC)
    Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 (not received yet)
    Pump: DazMode D5 vario (not received yet)
    Radiator: used 240 Swiftech rad (thanks Prolab @ HWC)
    Fittings: Swiftech 3/8, 5/8 compression fittings chrome (thanks BobbyLou @ HWC)
    Tubing: Darkside Flexible Tube 3/8″ ID, 5/8″ OD - RED
    Coolant: Distilled water + DazMode Protector
    Fans: 2x Yate Loon D12SM-12

Some pics:

Last edited by gabuuzz; 10-09-2014, 03:02 AM.

Have you decided on a res and pump yet? I've always favored the D5, they are a little bigger but quieter and reliable as hell. I used a D4 (Swiftech MCP-650, looks the same but older version) from 2005 to 2013, and it's still being used by someone else today!

Congrats on getting NCIX to refund you on a watercooling part, that's hard to do!

I've never tried to paint chrome, maybe one of the paint experts will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
      Have you decided on a res and pump yet? I've always favored the D5, they are a little bigger but quieter and reliable as hell. I used a D4 (Swiftech MCP-650, looks the same but older version) from 2005 to 2013, and it's still being used by someone else today!

Congrats on getting NCIX to refund you on a watercooling part, that's hard to do!

I've never tried to paint chrome, maybe one of the paint experts will chime in.
      I think I'll have to go for the DarkSide MCP350/Bay res combo. For my budget a D5 will cost too much. The DDC will be cheaper and will be easier to install in the 550D.

I did some research for the fittings and someone already did it: http://www.overclock.net/t/895792/sp...ds-of-pictures

Thanks for the support!

I also painted the rad! (The gloss black paint taking fingerprint and dust easily)

Comment

This seems interesting.
        I'll be watching!

Comment

I painted 6 of the fittings and I'm happy with the result

I've put my fittings into a cardboard with holes to protect the bottom part

Here's the result:

To compare before/after:

Comment

good painting sir!
            HAF932 Mods
            C70 Mods

Comment

Looks better in black!
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

When you thread the painted fittings into a block will there not be a very good chance of crushed paint flecks contaminating the loop .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  When you thread the painted fittings into a block will there not be a very good chance of crushed paint flecks contaminating the loop .
                  I protected the bottom and the top of the fitting when painting. (thats why you still see some chrome in the picture)
                  That way no paint will be in contact with water.

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                    good painting sir!
                    Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                    Looks better in black!
                    Thanks

I've received the CPU waterblock and also ordered the pump and reservoir today. I went for a D5 vario with G1/4 Threaded Factory Top and a Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80.

Quick question: sence the rad haven't been used for months, do I need to clean it?

Comment

Originally posted by gabuuzz View Post
                      Quick question: sence the rad haven't been used for months, do I need to clean it?
                      depends on what it was doing before sitting on the shelf.
                      I would at least give it a hot tap water rinse n shake, dump the effluent waste into a pot and examine it for gunk.
                      10 minutes out of your day for some peice of mind.
                      HAF932 Mods
                      C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                        depends on what it was doing before sitting on the shelf.
                        I would at least give it a hot tap water rinse n shake, dump the effluent waste into a pot and examine it for gunk.
                        10 minutes out of your day for some peice of mind.
                        ok thanks
                        I need to flush with distilled water after that right?

Comment

OK so I received everything this week and installed it yesterday.

I leak tested all day and I wasn't able to fix the rad leak. I finally figured out the problem isn't the fitting but the rad... (it's the last time I buy swiftech product) so I fixed it with Teflon tape this morning and leak tested again today. I think I should be able start the computer tonight
                          Quick pic from my phone:

I'll post more pics when I can.

Comment

Good job painting the fittings I was planing on doing the same to mine when I get them because apparently black fittings are expensive. Your loop is pretty clean keep up the good work.

Comment

I've had quite a few swiftech rads, and never a leak. However some of the really old ones have a recess that modern fittings don't quite fit into, and the o-ring mightn't be compressed if that's the case. Maybe a thicker rubber washer or o-ring would do the trick. Actually, I might be facing this myself as the mcr220 rad in my Archon build is quite old. The newer swiftech rad I have for that build doesn't have the recess.

Is it leaking right where the fitting goes into the rad?

Comment

Working...
                              X