The Diminutive White Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Diminutive White Beast

So it has started. My parts have been slowly arriving from NCIX.

My first computer build in over 13 years. Been relying on work laptops and such... but I figure now is the time again to have my own computer. This will be the 1st watercooled build I'm doing. I dreamed of doing a watercooled setup in 1999 with fish tank stuff and HomeDepot PVC tubing back then. Maybe get back into gaming again. Call of Duty 3 was my last game I played on a PC (Mac).

The idea is cram as much power into a little clean setup. Therefore I call this the "Diminutive White Beast"

Parts List:
    - BitFenix Phenom mITX white case
    - Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI (wifi is going to be disabled, so I can rob the PCI-E slot for a FW400/800 card)
    - 16 GB kingston Blu-Black ram
    - 256GB Samsung EvoPro
    - 128GB Samsung EvoPro
    - i7 4770k (going to see if I can overclock it to the moon and back)

Left to buy:
    - Asus GTX770 (awaiting another sale at CanadaComputers)
    - Seasonic Platinum 760watt
    - Two Western Digital RED 1TB 2.5" HDD for storage
    - various cables

Watercooling Parts (awaiting shipments from Daz and other sources)
    - UN design bracket for 120mm fans. Will mount the reservoir using 60mm clamps
    - UV Orange 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD hose
    - EK-DDC 3.2 PWM X-RES 140 pump reservoir combo
    - Two Dazmode R240 radiators
    - Four Noise Blocker -BlackSilent XLP PWM Fan 1000-2000RPM Blue/Purple
    - EK DazMode Special Edition - Universal CPU Block
    - Alphacool HF 14 Smart Motion Universal Copper Edition to cool the Z87 southbridge on the Gigabyte Motherboard
    - EK GTX770 DC2 waterblock
    - various silver fittings. I basically picked the least expensive of whatever I need from Dazmode and avoided koolance
    - Will use compression fittings
    - Swiftech 8-Way PWM splitter box
    - Noctua 150mm fan at the back
    - Maybe (not sure yet)... two Noctual 80mm PWM controlled fans for the floor.

I read on the forums that the Gigabyte motherboard has an undersized heatsink for it's Z87 southbridge. Since I will be using this computer heavily for photo editing and such I wanted to make sure it was stable for terrabytes of photo files being moved from one drive to another.

I also chose the motherboard, CPU and also graphics because of their compatibility to building a hackingtosh. Will be running OSX Maverick on the 256 GB SSD, and maybe Windows 8.1 on the 128 SSD. With the intent to have the machine run OSX more than 75% of the time.

For case modding, just a simple tinted plexi window on both side panels with some u channel molding. Also will need to cut a rectangular slot out for the mini PCI-E FW800/400 interface. The BitFenix Phenom which I didn't realize only has a dual PCI slot at at the back, which the graphics card will sure to be using.

The idea is to keep it looking like the case came from the factory as is, but only see all the mods when you take a close look at the thing.

The fans and pump will be controlled by the UEFI of the motherboard. The swiftech PWM splitter will be connected to the CPU fan 4 pin output of the motherboard, all the fans and pump will be manipulated by the temperature vs fan speed curve profile in the UEFI... (hopefully this works). Intake air will be coming in from the rear via the 150mm Noctua Fan, and also dual 80mm Noctual fans on the case bottom. The front mounted radiator will have fans mounted behind it to push air from inside the case to the outside through the rad, and the fans at the top will push air up through the rad and out via the top opening of the case.

Hopefully the build comes out good. I'm already overbudget by about 400 bux from what I wanted to spend on a new computer.

More pics to follow when more parts arrive.

oh and one more thing... fittings are expensive! I'm going to do point to point as much as possible. Maybe if it comes out hideous I will invest in angled fittings everywhere.

Cool project

Sweet list of parts

Dual boot rig...love it I have one as well

Comment

mmm. haven't had an asahi black in a long while... thanks for reminding me!
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Important that you have your basics right!

Good sip of booze is good omen for a successful build!
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Hey one thing you can take into account to maximize interior space is that you can use Gelid slim 120mm blue fans between the metal chassis and the top plastic panel. I've measured 17mm of space between the top air filter and metal chassis fan mounts on the Phenom, and I have those fans and indeed they work as they are under 16mm in thickness, and are actually as quiet as 1200rpm noise blockers, though not sure about in front of a radiator and how well they will drive air through most, but since you are using slim, medium FPI radiators they may work.

You can even mount them between the front panel and chassis with a bit of creative clip cutting/bending for the logo clip on the front. Just an idea that might help.

I have that same mobo and I'm itching to try it but my current project takes precedence as it's been taking WAY too long

Nice build!
          Last edited by 10e; 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM. Reason: Added vitamin "c"
          DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

This is the mATX version of the prodigy , right? Good stuff i'm undertaking a client build in this and was curious to see how it would look. Good luck!
            edit: My mistake that's the phenom. Still very cool!
            Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
            Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know they existed. Do you know where you can buy them in Canada?

answer: Looks like newegg.ca

Damn it... now you have me pondering... If these fit in the top mesh position, I can do a push pull setup and then do 2 pushes in the front and 1 pull in the lower position for the front rad...

What do I do with the Noiseblockers I just bought...?

hrm...
              Last edited by Cheers!; 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM. Reason: found answer.

Comment

mini-ITX. I think there are two version of the case. Micro-ATX and mini-ITX. I have the mini ITX.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheers! View Post
                  thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know they existed. Do you know where you can buy them in Canada?

answer: Looks like newegg.ca

Damn it... now you have me pondering... If these fit in the top mesh position, I can do a push pull setup and then do 2 pushes in the front and 1 pull in the lower position for the front rad...

What do I do with the Noiseblockers I just bought...?

hrm...
                  Unfortunately NoiseBlocker eLoop fans are noisy in the pull configuration. Selling them or re-using them for another rig in a push configuration might work. Alternatively you can do exhaust on the top rad and put them in the bottom position. Canada Computers and Memory Express both sell the Gelid slim blue LED and non-LED versions.

Good luck. And the M-ITX Phenom is a great case. I have that on the list as my next build as I have the black version. It's a nice case, and solves my biggest issue with the Prodigy because I hate the Prodigy's handles.
                  DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

i've heard that before about the e-loops

shame because there quite the lookers

Comment

don't the ELoops butt against the rad in pull?

anyway, nothing wrong with having a bunch of spare fans lying around, right?
                      HAF932 Mods
                      C70 Mods

Comment

I was going to set them up to push from inside the case and exhaust out.

Comment

update:

Got the shipment from Dazmode. Thanks for shipping out so fast.

started to rough a few things out... (with tape!)

It looks like I will have space for 2 80mm fans on the bottom for intake air. However, it looks like Bitfenix didn't update the interior much from the Prodigy case. It looks like I will need to trim the bottom to allow for the radiator to match up with the mounting holes on the front panel. It is off by about 3 mm offset up.

This is what guys were doing for the prodigy case.

Also I went to Canada computers today and picked up a seasonic platinum 760watt and 2 GELID SLIM 12 PL Blue... I can confirm they fit perfectly in the top section of the case.

2 things that make me wonder. Why didn't Bitfenix increase the depth of the top plastic to accomedate 25mm fans which are more standard? Why they didn't stretch the interior frame by 5 cm and that way you can run both a front and dual rad at the same time...

Comment

This is good. It makes me wish that I never sold my EKWB XTX 240 so I could dress the HTPC with it. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out and I wouldn't worry about putting fans on the floor since you have enough air coming in from the front and exhaust through the back of the case.

Comment

Question for the experts. Would you have the fans pull air through the rads and have warm air in the case? and then have the rear fan exhaust?

Or would you have the front rad pulling air through and the top rad pushing air out and exhausting and then rear fan as intake as well?

Or would you have the front rad push air out, and top rad push air out and have the rear fan pull air in and 2 fans on the bottom of the chassis pull air in?

The last "or" was my original intention.

Comment

Working...
                              X